It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ignore user: suggestion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I finally got around to using the "ignore user" feature, and I noticed that it completely removes that member's posts from my consumption (which would be the goal, obviously). However, I realized that it could be possible for that user to later post something that I would want to read, or that has important bearing on the topic being discussed, and I may not even know about it.

Would it be possible to have a little box in place of an ignored user's posts, saying that he/she has posted something there? I can see arguments for either side of this, but if it's not too much trouble, I think that could help readability.

Thanks!

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
How does one know if they're being ignored? I tend to upset ignorant people in generall and would love to know if i got igged. Ive posted here way too many times and am sure of said some off color comments.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Should ban the ignore if you can`t take replies you shouldn`t bother posting.Leave it up to the mods to regulate and ban someone only if rules broken.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I have never used that feature because I feel that not matter how obnoxious the person may be is still a member, is better to just ignore the post and answer to the ones that really have a good point.

I guess I am to polite?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I've never used it. If I don't want to see a particular TV show, I don't watch it. If I don't want to read a particular post, I don't. If I was to ignore a person, I may well miss something useful from that person later on and I'd rather not do that.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Bravo!!!!that is the point
Reading members post will give an inside on the view even if some may not aprove it. I see it as part of been diverse.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Alright, you've all been ignored.
In all seriousness, I agree with you: ignoring a user because you disagree with his/her point of view is akin to "shutting out the world." One of the great aspects of ATS is the diverse collection of people who partake in the discussions. If I just wanted to read the opinions of people who agree with me, I'd be better off finding a forum that caters to people of that view. The reason I ignored a member has nothing to do with what he/she was saying, it was how he/she was saying it. I found it distracting.

Regardless, whether or not a member should be ignored really comes down to a personal decision; some choose to ignore others, some choose not to. The point of this thread is not whether or not it is morally correct to ignore a user. Since the "ignore user" feature is there, I saw a way it could be improved, and made a suggestion to that effect.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Hey I had been ignore before,
And I got over it.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
"Is ignoring a user moral?" NO. You may miss something that this individual may contribute. It's not for him, it's for YOU. He/she may post something that is most relevent to you later. You want to miss that? I have only ignored 1 person, due to abusive u2u's. I have taken that member off that list as he is no longer with us, he might show up later, with 1 post that might change my life. Doubt it, but you never know.

Point is, you can ignore a person without keeping them off your screen. I'm SURE that happens with members when they see my name.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I like you, I like what you said I promise I will not ignore you

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I have never used the ignore button. I thought about it once or twice, but after a day or two of us both cooling down...we actually became more of a kinda friend who just dissagreed with a certain thing. So, basically what I'm saying is I'm very glad I didn't use that function.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I don't use the ignore button. Just because someone has annoyed me on one thread doesn't mean we can't agree on another. That's happened to me before.

new topics

top topics

join