It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So it's all about the weather...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The weather affects the world and peoples lives...as we all know already. But to what extent? I'm talking psychologically. Many of you probably already know this, some may not....so for those who are affected by those miserable rainy days, here is why...in detail.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a form of depression that affects approximately 1 in 100 people in the UK between September and April. It can be particularly severe during December, January and February. For some people, SAD is so disabling that they cannot function in winter without continuous treatment. Others may experience a milder version called sub-syndromal SAD or 'winter blues.

Now, the reason I decided to read up on this, is because of how I feel when it's overcast or raining. Might not sound like an area of much interest for most of you, but it seriously affects my life, and the lives of many others.

When it's raining or cloudy, I cannot stand the white light the clouds reflect. I literally close all the curtains and blinds, and turn the overhead lights on inside the house.The overhead lights are more of a yellow, happy light... Reason being, the light from outside gives me that 'pip in your stomach' kind of feeling...that feeling when you just don't know what's wrong with you, but it constantly feels like something bad is going to happen. I get nothing done...hours go by and I dawdle around the house, doing things in bits and pieces...when the day is done..I cannot fathom what I have done with my time! But that's about as much as I will tell you...

I even wrote some poems in this one thread 'Pain, it's what's for dinner' And today I cannot believe I wrote them, yesterday was a bad day..overcast and grumpy. Today, the sun is shining, and I'm fine.

So, here are the symptoms...

* Sleep problems - usually oversleeping and difficulty staying awake but, in some cases, disturbed sleep and early-morning waking. * Lethargy - lacking in energy and unable to carry out normal routine due to fatigue. Heaviness in the arms and legs. * Overeating - craving for carbohydrates and sweet foods which usually leads to weight gain. * Depression - feeling sad, low and weepy, a failure, sometimes hopeless and despairing. * Apathy – loss of motivation and ability to concentrate. * Social problems - irritability and withdrawal from social situations, not wanting to see friends. * Anxiety - feeling tense and unable to cope with stress. * Loss of interest in normally pleasurable activities. * Loss of libido - decreased interest in sex and physical contact. * Weakened immune system - vulnerability to catching winter colds and flu. * Mood changes - for some people bursts of over-activity and cheerfulness (known as hypo-mania) in spring and autumn.

If you noticed that higher humidity is associated with certain mood states, you won’t be surprised to hear there is also a good body of research that has investigated the link between heat and different types of human behavior, especially aggression (see, for example, Rotton & Cohn, 2004; Cohn & Rotton, 2005; Anderson, 1987; etc.). While there’s some debate as to how strong a relationship exists between heat and violence, this is a relationship that been undergoing research since the 1970s. At this point, it’s not in question whether a link exists, just how strong and what the relationship exactly looks like (and whether it’s mediated by other factors, like time of day).

There is a lot you can you can do to treat it...

Light therapy has been proved effective in up to 85 per cent of diagnosed cases. Light therapy involves spending up to four hours per day exposed to light that is at least ten times the intensity of domestic lighting. You can sit in front of a special 'light' box, allowing the light to reach your eyes. The light box should be used in dull periods in summer and daily from early autumn when symptoms first appear. You don't need to stare at the light and can just glance at it from time to time while your reading, working or eating. Treatment is usually effective within three to four days and the effect continues if it is used every day. Evidence also points to the value of dawn simulation devices that gradually mimic the progressive presence of dawn prior to a person’s waking.

To read more on SAD and how it can be treated, check out the link
And remember....

It can sometimes be difficult living with a person with SAD, but you need to accept that they really do feel awful during the winter months. Realise that they have no control over their behaviour and never imply that they are lazy or aren't trying hard enough. Help your friend or family member to get as much done during the summer and encourage them to use their light or other treatment at the first signs of lethargy. Be sensitive to their needs and don't force them to do things they are really not up to. Above all, be patient and caring and look forward to better times in the spring.

It must be horrible for all you living with bad weather right now, all I hear about is snow, snow and more snow...Best of wishes to all of you!
Stay happy!
xox

I can't get the color codes to work on the other text, I've tied every combination...whatever must just stay the way it is now!

[edit on 23/01/2010 by jinx880101]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
How does this make you feel?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d0a35611faff.jpg[/atsimg]

That was taken a short time ago, and this is what it is like where I am at.

I'm on a long road trip and had to stop because of this storm, it is frustrating and I would rather be moving out now, but can't... The wind is blowing now at nearly hurricane speeds.

There is an interesting feeling for me and that is that I feel a level of excitement and joy, like when I was a child wanting to go out and play in the snow, a snow day where the roads are closed and school is out! ... FUN!

The grown up in me, wishes it would end quickly and conditions will improve so I can get out of here.

Winter can be fun, or a nightmare... it all depends on where and what you are doing.

Snow days are still cool, even when you're all grown up.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

I can't relate, I have never touched snow in my life!
I suppose it would be fun, for a couple of hours, but I'm not I'd be able to live in such weather.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

NEVER touched snow??!? that is savage. I love it when it snows. I love how it looks and how it makes everything else look. Can be a massive hassle though obviously.

Saturn not have snow then?

I have a friend who suffers quite badly from this. He had special light bulbs which simulate sunshine and make him feel better.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I grew up in high humidity (Louisiana), and find myself often missing that weather...mild winters, hot summers....moved to Oklahoma City for 3 years, experienced 3 horrible winters, literally ice or snow from Halloween until late March, and low light conditions. For sure it affected my mood, and there was definitely weight gain and just an overall feeling of positive thought suppression.

Now living in D/FW I see a mix of both. It's weird though I find inside lighting annoying, I am constantly turning off lights, and encouraging family members to do the same. I pretty much hate any overhead lighting and prefer lamps or window light.

Winter is depressing to me, thanks for shedding some light on the subject. (pun intended)

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

I have SAD pretty bad. I've had it since I was a kid. I've tried all sorts of things to help, ( medicines, lights, Vit D, etc) and nothing really makes much difference. I live in a northern state and dark, gloomy winters are extremely hard for me. I feel better on the days when it snows and a blanket of bright, white snow surrounds me. It's amazing how lack of sun/bright light affect me.

In the summer, I'm a totally different person. Yeah, there are rainy, gloomy days in the summer too, and they do affect me, but there are more sunny days than not and I love summer and how I feel.

It amazes me in that I have nothing in my life to be depressed about, but as soon as the weather is dark and gloomy, I crawl into a shell and don't want to come out.

This is a very real problem for a lot of people.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Now living in D/FW I see a mix of both. It's weird though I find inside lighting annoying, I am constantly turning off lights, and encouraging family members to do the same. I pretty much hate any overhead lighting and prefer lamps or window light.

I agree, overhead lights, some can be annoying...but it sure as hell beats the gloomy white light outside, or should I say gray? I prefer lamps too..but I only have one, so it travels around the house wherever I am...

I'm glad I could be of some assistance, as long as people don't go medicating themselves unnecessarily.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

It amazes me in that I have nothing in my life to be depressed about, but as soon as the weather is dark and gloomy, I crawl into a shell and don't want to come out. This is a very real problem for a lot of people.

Hey virraszto, :wave:

Hope today is a good day for you. I know exactly how you feel and empathize with you.

It's amazing, for me...there is also nothing that really helps. The closest to making that specific day go as quick as possible, crawl up on the couch & watch movies all day or read a book... I can't even stand the gray light creeping through the blinds....
x

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
well here the weather is bad in the winter, very cold and snowy and dark, i need a little sunshine to brighten up my mood as well, usually i get cabin fever from not going outside in the winter

top topics

join