It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Applause & why no stars on BTS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The title pretty much summed it up, but I'll ask again anyway.

I got an U2U the other day saying I had been applauded. Why? I don't think I did anything, does applause mean something special? If so, what are the defining characteristics so I can get more?

And if applause is bad, what are the defining characteristcs so I can get less....that goes without saying, I guess.

Also, why do some posts get moved to BTS? Then I can't add stars to my favorite arguements there.....is there a possibility of putting stars on BTS?

thanks from the ATS impaired,

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
You get an applause when a moderator or site admin particularly likes your post / thread. You get 500 bonus points (good for stroking your ego, I guess).

Some posts get moved to BTS because they don't involve conspiratorial matter (kind of sad so think you can spend hours on this website and not really even realize that everything is about some sort of conpsiracy, eh?)

Not sure why stars aren't allowed on BTS.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Applauses are for quality posts, only staff members can give them out though

It's like a personal well done to you for your contribution.

Not sure about stars, I'm wondeing why they aren't in BTS myself.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
thanks everyone for the replies.

Especially thanks for the link. I really did search, but couldn't find anything.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

An applause is from a Moderator, it is a good thing.

I believe it is a 500 point bump, and the Moderators way of saying thank you.

Getting them is getting a kudos from ATS's staff, always a good thing.

I always turn right around and thank that Moderator, because as much as I appreciate the kudos, I appreciate the recognition, and want to turn around and give it back to them.

While I am no Moderator, I will give you the only kind of applause I can.

APPLAUSE

As for star on BTS and threads getting moved there, well that's a tad more complicated.

Threads get moved there, because someone usually did not see that the area they were posting in was for a certain topic, and the Moderators moved it for you.

In my experience, Moderators will move it, if asked as well, if you're nice.

Stars on BTS, well that's up to ATS Administration, and I'm sure if they haven't a Moderator will explain it more in depth.

Have a great day.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The "no stars on BTS" policy is to prevent abuse of the starring system, which is used to help determine "contribution status". Contribution status is a formula that, when a certain level is reached, allows the member to log into ATS and browse the forums/post replies without viewing any advertisements.

It's explained better here.

Applause, of course, are a way for Staff to show appreciation for exemplary contributions.

Hope this helps...

[edit on Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:01:55 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
MemoryShock explained the "no BTS stars" issue. Also FSMEs, or Forum Subject Matter Experts can applaud threads or posts that are explemplary. They are a good thing and you get a 500 point bonus, as well one applause added to your "applause count".

Hope that helped as well...

[edit on 2/8/2010 by jkrog08]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Thanks all, I get it now.

Applause is arbitrary and by mods for a job well done.

No stars on BTS so you can't clog up contribution status.

Thanks again!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Well "arbitrary" is not the word I would choose, and FSMEs AND mods can give them...

(I am not a mod, but FSME, but I can still give applause in my respective forum)...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Applause is nice as are the points. But we as members can show our appreciation to other members via the U2U function or a little note in the profile section.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Some other things:

Mods and Supers can give Applauses in any forum (unlike FSME's)

Mods can't give other Mods Applauses (though FSME's can applaud a Mod).

It is possible for a Mod who is also an FSME to give two Applauses for the same thing (one is a Mod Applause, and one is an FSME Applause).

For me, I give out an Applause for many reasons....

1) Posts that are an example of a well-reasoned and supported theory
2) Posts that refute other arguments, also using good reasoning and support (especially when said poster is posting against my side of the argument, and I learn from their input)
3) Posts that really help other members (mostly on BTS)
4) Anything else that really exemplifies what we all want to see here (as members)...

If you see a thread you think should be applauded, by all means, you could notify a mod to check it out...
We can't be everywhere (shhh......), so let us know!

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Would there be any easy way of coding a system for a seperate reward system on BTS?

Just a thought..

new topics

top topics

join