It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number's up for Scottish midges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Wildlife experts want the public to help them count the number of midges and other flying insects in Scotland.
Throughout June, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), is asking drivers to fit a special sticky panel on their cars to catch insects.

The "splatometer" will then be removed and the number of insects counted.

The RSPB is conducting the UK-wide survey to gauge the abundance of Britain's 23,000 insect species - an essential food source for birds.

The organisation's Big Bug Count hopes to produce a geographical breakdown on the areas of the UK which appear to have the highest number of insects.

RSPB Scotland's event co-ordinator Jonathan Osborne said: "Geographic breakdown of the results will, hopefully, give us an insight into whether Scotland - and in particular the Highlands - has more flying beasties than any other part of the UK.

Mozzie's

I thought this was bloody hysterical...anyone who lives or has been to scotland know that in the highlands parts the mozzies can come and eat u alive during summer months...hell they could probably lift u and take u away somewhere if they get any bigger this year!!!!

But come on....who the hell wants to count mozzie's for a living...especially when they have to get up close and personal with the splatometer!!!

Damn...it cracks me up but should be fun

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
lol I'd get the "splat-o-meter" just to keep someone occupied for days counting all the bugs I wacked that day/week/month or whatever. Good times! Who knows, maybe you'll find little aliens and alien craft on your splat-o-meter, too

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
We need the Cicada splat meter here....
They are all over the place! The birds here definatly won't go hungry.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
That hilarious Gryff!! lol
I can tell you that motor-cycle full-face visors are the best
source of 'bug-splat' post mortems. One of my mates lost
his two front teeth after being hit by a 'christmas beetle'.
Mind you, he was doing about 150kph on a quiet country
road wearing an open face helmet.

Gryff, just taking a closer look at the 'splatometer',
it appears to clip on to ones front #plate. Surely,
the Police would try to oppose this as it would
obscure the #plate. Speed cam's, radar ect.
Then again, i suppose you could fit it to ones
rear #plate. And then get busted for 'lack of splat'
Sanc'.
p.s. Gryff i'll u2u soon

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by sanctum]

top topics

join