It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fatal shark attack and shark swarm in Florida!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Sharks spotted one day after fatal attack
Reported by: WPTV staff
Email: [email protected]
Last Update: 2:21 pm

More sharks spotted of the coast

Do shark attacks make you more worried about going into the ocean?
PALM BEACH, FL--One day after a fatal shark attack in Martin County, schools of sharks were seen off Palm Beach.

There were easily more than a hundred in the water off Reef Road Thursday morning.

Lifeguards will monitor the migrating sharks and decide whether any beaches need to be closed.

Wednesday Stephen Schafer died of multiple shark bites while kite boarding south of Stuart Beach.

The 38 year old was about a quarter mile offshore when a lifeguard noticed him and pulled him to shore.

Schafer later died at Martin Memorial Medical
Source:

Ok, so is it just me or are there suddenly TONS of these stories lately?!?

I am wondering if there are suddenly more sharks or are we suddenly more delicious?!?

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2/4/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

I know what to do about this. Let a few hundred commercial fishing boats drag their nets for a couple of hours out there. Then drag em in and open fire. Oh, we can't do that. It's un-environmental.

Same thing with the rain forest and its ever loving host of deadly creatures. Just when we seem to be getting the upper hand, environmentalists stop us before we can achieve full victory. It's maddening.

Just kidding. I saw the news last night about the shark attacks. I find it all strangely entertaining. Although I do not believe I'll be going in the ocean any time soon. You are automatically put into its food chain at that point and you do not rank very high on it.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The ocean is where the sharks live. When you swim in the ocean you are in their world.
As enjoyable as it is, we often forget that the sharks don't take too kindly to visitors.

Why should it be a surprise when someone gets attacked by them?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The real suprise is the swarms of 300+ sharks in a swimming area where they normally aren't found.

I wonder how many little sharks equal a great white? It looks almost like a group approach to the movie "Jaws"

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The majority of shark attacks including fatalities each year are down by little guys. They swim in closer. They are usually not feeding frenzy, but territorial in nature, ie. they do raking movements with their teeth and usually leave. But of course in need of hundreds of stitches, its easy to bleed to death. I wonder if these were behaving like territorial or feeding frenzy sharks. And why they are where they are.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This is awesome, I am going to Orlando Saturday, Maybe I will test the waters. Kind of a taunting if you will. Ya know It sucks that this person died, but it's not really news. let's remember how many people just died in Haiti. But Hey chalk one up for the sharks, after all, it is their world we are playin in.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
There was an attack off San Diego bout two years ago. Guy was with a group of swimers. He made it to shore with his legs gone from the knee down.That's where he died. You won't catch me out there.

Just because we know what they are dosn't mean they aren't monsters.
How is swimming in the ocean much different from jumping into a pool
of pirahna.
i bet there are alot of things out there we don't know about.
To damn spookey for me. Not mention the poor visibility when you're just a swimmer. Screw that there's plenty of other fun to have.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I take issue with these reports. Shark bites are pretty rare. You go into the ocean, it is a huge unexplored part of the world, your taking your chances.

You can choose to stay on land.

I had it put in into a very good perspective once:

The residents of Hawaii wanted all the tiger sharks removed because they killed 2 people a year.

The feedback from animal rights: then you would also have to eliminate surfing because 42 drown each year surfing.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
There was an attack off San Diego bout two years ago. Guy was with a group of swimers. He made it to shore with his legs gone from the knee down.That's where he died. You won't catch me out there.

Just because we know what they are dosn't mean they aren't monsters.
How is swimming in the ocean much different from jumping into a pool
of pirahna.
i bet there are alot of things out there we don't know about.
To damn spookey for me. Not mention the poor visibility when you're just a swimmer. Screw that there's plenty of other fun to have.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by randyvs]
waz up Randyvs,.. I have a friend in San D. I joke around to him all the time about swimin with the fishies. And he tells ME skydiving is dangerous....

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
There have been a significantly large increase of the shark stories just recently. From a man eaten whole by a great white in South Africa to Great White reports on both our East and West coasts of the United States.

Maybe they are mobilizing... for.... INVASION!!!!!

Do not go into the kiddie pool!

new topics

top topics

join