It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many Haitians want U.S. to 'take over'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Man, it does sound like a good idea when you put it like that.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crisko

I would like to see this article posted on every thread here that is accusing the US of overtaking Haiti for it's oil reserves. Kinda blows that theory right our of the water.

It is a sad state of affairs for Haiti, their lives are better because the help is there right now, before the quake they were already starving, thirsting, no clean water and no sanitation.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by crisko

Many Haitians want U.S. to 'take over'

Hell no.

We help with the recovery and later help them rebuild the best we can then GET OUT!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by crisko

Why do "we" have a responsibility to the people of Haiti in the construct of their nation state? We may have a responsibility as a human being, but that is an individual choice and not the place of the government. If you want to do something for those folks, do it. Sean Penn can get is butt down there and do a bit of work, so can you.

The US should get out of Haiti ASAP. The UN, for what ever its worth(and that is not much) was created to broker the resources and work on these issues. It is not the responsibility of government of the US, nor its people by proxy to do anything more than get the place stable and then get out.

For all of the folks who feel that US is somehow obligated to assist here in a greater fashion, take a trip to Detroit, South St. Louis, Camden or any of the other 100 cities in this country that are war zones without jobs and filled with people without hope. If this country and its citizens have an obligation, its to those folks,not the Haitians.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
No, the US shouldn't take over.

That would just be an excuse to blame more problems on the US.

Haitians need to decide what kind of government they want and force their government to reform.

In the meantime, the US as well as all other nations should help them rebuild and put pressure on the government to improve the lives of the Haitian people for the better.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
It seems the U. S. government is doing better in Haiti than they did in Louisiana, maybe they do better with others than their own.

That's a common misconception.
The Fed couldn't do a thing until the State declared an emergency. Until that point the Fed had no authorization and was impotent.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

I love these "the US did nothing in the Katrina aftermath". Of course, US = Bush in that context. The US government has spent $127 Billion in post Katrina relief. Thats right, $127 billion. To put that into perspective, US spent $107.6 Billion on the Marshall Plan and that was to rebuild 16 nations after WWII. By the way, those dollars are adjusted for inflation.

Now you may want dig into where all of that dough went, especially in light of the fact that most of at least NO is a shanty-town. I personally think its an outrage that there has never been a full accounting. But back off the tired old crap that the US failed in the Katrina response. The simple fact is that the politicians in Louisianna and Alabama failed the people of Louisianna and Alabama.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Just make em the 51rst State. Unlike Puka Rico, I'm sure they will jump at the chance. Alabama and Mississippi will jump at the chance to no longer be the last at something.......

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Zenagain]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain
Just make em the 51rst State. Unlike Puka Rico, I'm sure they will jump at the chance. Alabama and Mississippi will jump at the chance to no longer be the last at something.......

I don't think many will get that....

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Unfortunately Slayer69, I am going to have to disagree with you on not taking over Haiti as a territory to be put under US law and management.
This is a prime opportunity for the US to make a return on an investment that we know is much more likely to be a safe bet. Especially in consideration of how volatile the situations in Yemen, Iraq and Afghanistan are.
This is something closer to home that is virtually hundreds of times safer than any of the stated other engagement areas. We certainly won't be needing as many more troops on the ground in Haiti since it's almost smaller than Yemen itself.
And in my personal opinion of the future literal expansion of the American Republic, we've gone as far west as we can so maybe it's time to start going south?
Yes imperialist obviously but it would be so much more obvious and transparent than a puppet government in the form of a third world dictator. I'm thinking something along the lines of the American Caribbean Territories incorporated as the 51st state/entity since we'd be getting all of our other holdings down in the Caribbean covered by fully fledged American governance(hahahah, American governance)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join