It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many Haitians want U.S. to 'take over'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Many Haitians want U.S. to 'take over'

www.msnbc.msn.com

"I want the Americans to take over the country. The Haitian government can't do anything for us," said Jean-Louis Geffrard, a laborer who lives under a tarp in the crowded square. "When we tell the government we're hungry, the government says, 'We're hungry, too.' "

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I find this to be a sad, sad state of affairs. America is now in a predicament. Once the aid is out and reconstruction begin's - how will it look if we just leave?

Could if foster hate towards the U.S.? But if we stay, surely resentment would grow as well. As the dominating country of the America's, I feel we do have a responsibilty to them - but to what extent?

Not an envialbe postion.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-2-2010 by crisko]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
last time I read an article like this was when they said Afghanis said please america stay and u.s. puppet karzai said we still need u.s.'s help.
U.S. is still in Afghanistan.

Before that was Iraq where Iraqis said they needed America's help.
Today there are still troops there.

it never ends.
You want to know how to help haiti? Ask Chavez!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
last time I read an article like this was when they said Afghanis said please america stay and u.s. puppet karzai said we still need u.s.'s help.
U.S. is still in Afghanistan.

Before that was Iraq where Iraqis said they needed America's help.
Today there are still troops there.

it never ends.
You want to know how to help haiti? Ask Chavez!

Im pretty sure Iraq and Afghanistan was under the pretense of war.

This is a little bit different...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NightoftheComet
I can't see how this is any different from a war. The infrastructure is devastated, many thousands died and are dying, many thousands homeless, a government in disarray, soldiers on the streets.

I think the Haitians have the wrong idea about America, lunches are not free and the roads are not paved with gold. I thought they had a fine culture before the Earthquake... People don't need luxury cars or excess junk, and there is too much of that in the 'Civilized' Western world.

Unfortunately, those in power do not want this crisis go to waste so they are trying to find ways to keep their hands in Haiti's resources coffers for the long term, including suggesting that Haitians want the US to take over.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I call BS on this article this also reminds me when the media did a similar article on Yugoslavia,iraq etc.. on how the serbian, croatians and other factions wanted NATO to stay forever, in fear of comeback of a new yugoslavia

this is the same media tactic which is called

Psychological warfare

^Saying something which isn't true.

journalism isnt what it used be back in the 1960s, more and more articles i see are nothing more then copy and paste

REAL journalism is about asking the tough questions, even the crazy questions, Journalism is also about finding the truth, not hiding it.

CNN, MSNBC,ABC,CBS,FOX. ARE all CRAP networks.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I got it, how about..... " West Puerto Rico " it's got a good ring to it...anyone????

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It seems the U. S. government is doing better in Haiti than they did in Louisiana, maybe they do better with others than their own.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well, I feel for these people, I really do.I just do not see the U.S taking on a full scale am not saying whether we should or not. I'm just saying that I don't see it happening.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I believe Haiti would be better off as a territory of the United States. My opinion of the West has been made clear on this website over the years, and I'd hate to see anyone have to succumb to the West's control in order to survive, but seeing this through the eyes of the people of Haiti, I can understand why many of them are wishing for a United States take over.

Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. There are constant news reports coming out of that country about their people eating mud to survive and U.N. peacekeepers raping children and robbing them and their families of what little they do own. The quality of life there certainly could not worsen, even under the corporatist dictatorship of the United States.

As a territory of the United States, American corporations would make a presence in Haiti no doubt to exploit it's natural resources. Haitians would be employed by these companies for cheap labor, but even making the very minimal amounts they would be paid would make a difference in these people's lives.

With American corporations comes the improvement of the infrastructure. Wealthy American corporate executives cannot sit in comfort in their top floor offices of their newly constructed Port-au-Prince high-rises with no electricity and clean water, so these areas would be fixed which would definitely benefit the people of Haiti, at least in the major business areas.

Lets not forget the tourism industry. These American corporate executives will need places to lounge. And Haiti's beaches already draw tourists, so imagine the growth of that industry if American companies were able to move in, take control of areas with tourism potential, and create a reason for tourists to come to the country and spend their money there.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not arguing in favor of American imperialism. But becoming a territory of the United States would increase personal wealth, improve the infrastructure, and improve tourism, giving the now controlled government of Haiti money to spend on helping it's citizens by improving their surroundings and actually feeding them.

I don't like to say it, but I think this would be best for the people of Haiti. I'm not surprised that they want this, because in all honesty, if I was in that situation, I would want it too.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
It seems the U. S. government is doing better in Haiti than they did in Louisiana, maybe they do better with others than their own.

But next will come the vaccines, like in Africa. These people should be careful for what they wish for.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Haiti's resources??

What resources do they have? They're reduced to eating mud, and that was before the quake.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I don't think our country is equipped to take over Haiti because we are already in Iraq and Afghanistan, plus we are like 10 bajillion dollars in debt as it is. And not only are we in debt but Barack Obama is promising Americans even more that he cannot deliver. If the general stance of the president and country is to pull out of Iraq then why would anyone support occupation of Haiti?

edit...okay so maybe 10 bajillion isn't a number.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by red_dot]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I agree, at least to some degree. One can't even imagine what these people gothrough day in and day out. It's a sad state of affairs.

I personally, given the current world situation, see anything like this happening though. Twenty years ago? Maybe. Now? I don't see it happening.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by red_dot

I don't think occupation is what they desire. I think they are expecting a full fledged controlling of their government, by the U.S.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Most 3rd world nations would want the living standards the US has and all the economic assistance that would be granted to them as US citizens. Compared to nations like this the US government does help it's citizens a lot even though many in the US argue it doesn't help enough. It's all relative. For some people not being able to upgrade their widesreen TV and buy a new car every few years is poverty, for others not getting a hot meal once a day is poverty...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by red_dot

Your correct bajillion is not a number
If you wanted to show the US debt in billions it would be $12 291 billion if I'm not mistaken. Very large number and you raise a good point about the sustainability of the US stardard of living and the ability to take on more international responsibilities.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jacob08

Well,honestly,Americans have had it too easy for too long.However, we are learning that things can and do get bad. I know I certainly am.

I am currently unemployed. I have legal problems. The computer I am on is only furnished because I have a friend of mine who is financially stable enough to help me till I can get back on my feet.

I tell you, if the current economic atmosphere continues, it could very well turn into another great depression. If that happens, there will be a large percentage of us who will not make it. We have had it far too easy for far too long.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jacob08

Thanks for that correction! I just think it is irrational and irresponsible of us to put our people under even further by occupying another country.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
Haiti's resources??

What resources do they have? They're reduced to eating mud, and that was before the quake.

Ho ho ho!! They are there!!!

America would LOVE to take over and develop Haiti - and I gotta be honest it may not be a bad thing really.

You see Haiti's natural resources are pretty much untapped - the area could very well turn out to be the next Saudi as far as oil reserves go, and there could be plenty of minerals there too - it's the joining point or 3 massive fault lines!!! - There is guaranteed tonnes of stuff you can pull out of the ground.

The USA has been pretty opportunistic going in there - they will do a good job with the numbers, and that's a serious foot in the door. This oil field wont take 1,000 of soldiers lives to secure, and the location is pretty convenient.

This could create a bit of slack in the looming energy crisis and the wars we are having because of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join