It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Involuntary Spontaneous Human Invisibility

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Dont ask why I made a search for this, it just popped into my head. Apparently I.S.H.I. is rampant among the population. I wont believe it until I see it with my own eyes...

In the summer of 1994, I became aware of a very strange phenomenon, human spontaneous involuntary invisibility, which was apparently happening to people in the U.S. When I checked with other researchers and discovered that a number of them had also heard of such cases, I decided to place an inquiry letter in several well-known journals, asking other researchers and the general public if they had any experiences of this nature that they would like to share with me. Besides the publication of my inquiry letter, my inquiry was placed on several Internet bulletin boards. The letters began pouring in, giving me a broader picture of this phenomenon. I want to share a few stories with you and pass on some of the information I have come across during this past year.

Involuntary Spontaneous Human Invisibility

mrq

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Doncha mean "don't see" it with your own eyes?

Sorry...it was there

I read a book a while back about Invisibility, in fact I think that was the title. Can't say much for that one book really, except for it being pretty interesting. Aside from that, I've never heard of this sort of thing.

Kool find though.

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by mrq]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If one BELIEVES themselves invisible then they can and will be invisible. For just how long is a whole new ball game and perhaps an entire new field. It is mind over matter as a matter fo fact Willie

Try it!
Mags

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This must be the reason I can never pick up chicks at clubs !

Deep

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
You said 'involuntary'
THAT.. I had not heard of before, no. You always find the strangest things. Is it voluntarily?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I really need to get diagnosed with this!

Great for work!

Just think, "where have you been?" "Ahh, the old I.S.H.I. acting up again!"

XL5

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Maybe this is one of those thinking man problems, if no ones looking at you, then are you really visable. If a tree falls in the forrest.....

Have any accounts of this happening?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Heh, I hide in plain sight everyday. I am that normal guy that is just there.

Seriously, could this be related to the stories of 'voluntary' invisibility that the Viet Cong used during the war? I think there was an X-File on this as well.

I think if the settings are correct, it will happen easily. Talking to someone is a little tougher to believe. A lot of the visual invisibility I think is due to people not really paying attention to their suroundings. For instance. While in college I went into my gf's room and laid down on her sofa, waiting for her to come back. She came into the room, I made no sound or movement, she walked within arms reach of me to her desk, grabbed something and then left. It was just a matter of perception. Some cases could be just that. Excluding the talking of course.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Remember that experiment with the monkey suit?

What happened was these people were asked to observe a basketball game and tell them how many points were scored. In the middle of the game, a person dressed in a monkey suit walked in and started to dance. It even tried to stop players from scoring, but at the end, when asked if they had noticed anything unusual, the people said they didn't. They didn't believe the researchers but when they showed them a copy of the tape, they couldn't believe they'd missed it.

I think spontaneus human invisibility is something like this. People just missed them. It's very easy to ignore something if you're concentrating very hard.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
This actualy happens to me when my oldest sister is around.
I seem to become inaudible and invisible.
Whatever I do or say just passes trough her like air.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
You said 'involuntary'
THAT.. I had not heard of before, no. You always find the strangest things. Is it voluntarily?

Indeed the writer of that web page claims it is involuntary, but then also points out this is/was a practice of the yogi in ancient India, which was voluntary. The strange thing about it is that when this phenomenon occurs, even your clothes become invisible!

She tries to come up with a scientific theory as to why this happens, but I am not buying it. Its hard enough to believe as it is, but now I am interested in different cultures that try to achieve this. I have always heard of practitioners of ninjitsu becoming invisible, but that type of invisibility is more of a blending in with your enviornment type of thing, as several people have pointed out.

I did just recently read about the monkey at the basketball game. That was a fascinating experiment. If I remember correctly, part of the study group was asked to pay particular attention to some aspect of the game, and they were the ones who didnt notice the man in the monkey suit running amok all over the court. Interesting...

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Just a note-

This idea probably originated "The 5th Quadrant," an excellent comedy show from my country. I remember the episode, it was hilarious.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I got my sister to believe that she was invisible once. She's gonna love me for this, (she recently registered here as lambchops).
I was about 12ish and she must have been about 6. there was a social club down the road from us and in the summer when the windows were open, you could hear the cabaret singers, and I told her that it was the man in the moon, and that if she stuck her fringe up in an elastic band on her forehead while he was singing, that she would have magical powers and become invisible.
To test this out, I made her walk into a room where my mum and dad were deep in some sort of conversation, and sure enough, we might just have well been invisible.
I know that when I'm really concentrating on browsing ATS, my kids can come over to me and have whole conversations, and I hardly remember it happening (I know, I'm a wicked mother)
Perhaps when you are thinking really hard about something, your brain just doesn't find other distractions important enough to register and store in your mind.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
hmmm i know from reseach and expewrience if onw wills themselves to be unseen, they can go unnoticed.

you cant just say "ok i'm invisible" and it happens. doesnt work that way. and you arent exactly invisible, they just see right through as though you arent there.

i've done this a few times and it does work. there was someone i knew from way back when i saw one day and i didnt want them to see me so i willed myself to be unseen. they looked right at me and didnt say or do a thing to me! now this person didnt like me and didnt have a very valid reason and rather than get into with them i made an effort to just avoid them. so i was rather amazed when they looked at me but didnt seem to notice me. if someone notices you their facial espression will change, even if slightly. their's didnt change one bit. they walked right past me as if i wasnt there.

i have other experiences but i cant share them for certain reasons.

as for this being involuntary...i dont know about that. i never heard of that but like i said i've heard of people willing themselves to be unseen. there are techniques from the far east that you can find for this. and i know of examples of people willing themselves to be unseen that go way back...to rasputin.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
From what I know people can shadow walk and become invisible.
I think witchs can do this, but very high level witchs. ALso in theNT in the bible it mentions i think phillip being taken away by the holy spirit and put down somewhere else.That involves being invisible and reappearing?

I read a Christian site ages ago (sorry dont have URL) about false prophets being able to vanish and reappear.

Also...and this is very interesting.. I read about the art of making yourself invisible, and that secret societies like the masons look for it. Something to do with the spirit....that if you can control your spirit to a certain level you can cloak yourself and disappear.

Also emotion plays a part because your emotion is your spirit, if you can get your spirit to a certain place manipulating your emotions you can disappear, but again its not really you being invisibly but others NOT seeing you. Thats the other thing about it. You can # with peoples emotions and CREATE an emotional situation that appeals to the spirits of those around youand then "seem" to disapper or walk in the spirit, maybe those who witness it have a role in it. By the way im taking strickly of voluntary invisiblity. You want and make it happen!!

Finally....Indian Wind Walkers??? Can supposedly walk on the wind, vanish..disappear????

Anyone got links on voluntary invisiblity??

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
hmmm i know from reseach and expewrience if onw wills themselves to be unseen, they can go unnoticed.

So do you think that because I got my sister to really believe that she was invisible that she genuinly might have been unseen by my parents????
Wow! perhaps she'll forgive me for it if thats the case!

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
its possible. whther you convince yourself or if someone else convinces you is a moot point i believe.

the mind doesnt differintiate and if its convinced into believing something it believes it to be so and projects this through energy making others believe this as well.

and thats what this really is, mentally projecting this thought into other people's minds. you believe it to be so and then you want others to believe this, your will power makes this happen.

and stated by the above poster...emotion plays a role in this. feelings and emotions can heighten your mental state and awareness.

so yes it is possible.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
It is possible to go invisible, but not the way you think. Some people unwittingly especially when feeling morally very low close down their aura without knowing it.. as we are all a frequency its possible other people don't notice you, even though you are physically there, in the sense of the word. I have personally had encounters where I have been queing in a shop and people walk in front of me , and when i say Hey, these people genuinly swore I wasn't there and they apologize looking shocked! I swear this happens although some people Can do this at will, Like anything else it requires knowledge, patience and practice. the dalai LLama have been renowned for doing this while in deep meditation. So when you think invisible don't think Invisible man think more of blending in to the background

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Never heard of this, sounds strange. I don't think the physical body is able to do this. If you have OBE or astral travel you can observe... and won't be seen.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
in the novel "a gift from earth" by larry niven the main character has something similar to this. when he feels uncomfortable he would make other people not be able to see him. at first it was involuntary, but then he learns to control it. anyway, very awesome book.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join