It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Closet Subjectivism and the Bias Thinking We Hang Within

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
So I have to ask....anyone get the pun in the title? Shameless bump.

What are your thoughts on the politics of Barry Goldwater? Would you, as a liberal or Democrat welcome such politics?

Would you as a conservative or Republican attempt to discredit those types of policies and ideas as non-conservative?

I seek answers!

Yep, I got it, but wondered if you were suggesting that subjectivists were in the closet, as it seems to me they have been long out of the closet and proudly have their parades where they declare for all to hear, that objectivity is too oppressive, and that subjectivists have rights too, you know?

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Maybe I should have used closet objectiveness instead as that seems to be the lessor that is practiced here.

Although this thread is not controversial as to why many do not respond. Maybe I should have called President Obama a liar in the title and then a lot of people would have responded according to the title and nothing to do with the actual thread.....damn myself for not wanting stars and flags!

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Ideas for titles of threads and their content:

1) Obama's a Liar!

Discusses the nature of democracy.

2.) Let's Lynch a Justice!

Discusses the nature of corporatism

3.) I See Dead People

Discusses the nature apathy.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Barry Goldwater was probably the last "traditional" Republlican in politics.
If you look into his politics and rhetoric by today's "standards", his ideas don't conform to any of our typical buzzword-propaganda sound bite categories.

Having said that, it has never been my practice to affiliate with any political party and few political action groups. Let's draft Ron Paul.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

I believe you to be correct. That is why I gave the list in the beginning without attributing it to Mr. Goldwater.

In attempts to show that there were and still are people that follow a more principled, rational and country loving way of politics. Just because someone had the Republican title didn't mean he was going to follow the administration that was in the Presidency (look at Nixon...Nixon lied to Goldwater and that was it. No more).

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'm with Janky Red. Ideologically, I tend to the left but can be surprisingly conservative on some issues. But Goldwater is one conservative I believe it's possible to have a real conversation with, one that has both ideas and opinions and facts to back them up.

I have always liked Barry Goldwater. I believe the main reason why he wasn't elected president is that some people feared he would use nuclear weapons against the Soviets and start a world war. In those days people feared annihilation of the world by nuclear powers above almost all other fears.

Whether Goldwater would actually have done that will never be known, I'm inclined to think he wouldn't have; nobody in their right mind would, and he is definitely in his right mind. But the opposition painted him as a war-monger.

Today, I think conservatives would call him a RINO and Tea Party activists would shun him. He would probably be a Conserva-Dem (conservative Democrat).

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I thank you for your views! It is the very reason behind my thinking when I started this thread. Now I know I am only focusing on the conservative/Republican side right now, but eventually I wish to keep digging and finding the true gems that are leaders of principle, morality and good faith in the political realm.

Another point of the thread was to show that not all on the Right can fit nicely into a box created by the Left. Just as not all on the Left can fit nicely into the box created by the Right.

My step-father turned me onto Barry Goldwater when I was fairly young. Barry Goldwater from the start believed that there can be good honest people that govern. They will receive temptations and will be twisted into choosing things they may not wish to, but the good can be there.

This video......probably the most infamous attack ad in American history (funny because Mr. Goldwater never said he would use nuclear weapons but also said he wouldn't take them off the table...this ad was successful in misconstruing his stance that if we are going to go to war, then let us go to war....not this half-assed stuff we have seen from Korea-present.)

1964 - Johnson Poltical Ad

To answer about never becoming president all falls upon the assassination of JFK. The moment that happened, Mr. Goldwater had no interest in becoming president. The most notable part about this was the two (Kennedy and Goldwater) were good friends.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by ownbestenemy]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join