It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethiopian UFO: Trace Evidence Incident

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Oh, thanks for looking that up for me.
I was going by the flat landscape in the photo and the sand+scrub-brush.

Good to know.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, speaking of elevation and terrain and climate and all that jazz.
What would you think the elevation at the place I'm standing at in my avatar is?

I mean, afterall, you are using a place with an elevation of 7,000 feet and saying it isn't a desert climate.

I'm standing at about 1,200 feet. In the Buffalo River.
Go just 1.5 hours north and west of my location and you come into the "great plains" of Kansas.
Elevation across the FLAT state exceed 2,000 feet.

What is the point?

A desert is described not by its flourishment or elevation, but its runoff and its vegetation.

The photo of the UFO site in Ethiopia is taken in a flat and desert climate.
No doubt.

Edit - I had a sentence that didn't make sense.

[edit on 30-1-2010 by JayinAR]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Roads don't wash out in Kansas?

You're right elevation alone doesn't tell you much about climate. But as I said,Dbarwa is at the same elevation (within 200') and only ten miles from Asmara.

There is of course such a thing as microclimates but the terrain is not very different between the two locations (15° 12' 19" N,38° 52' 33" E). It is not a wet area but there are many agricultural fields in the area. It is not a desert. There is even a riverbed which passes beneath a bridge. Apparently something made that riverbed and made it worth building a bridge. Hmmm. I wonder if that "culvert" could actually be the bridge.

[edit on 1/30/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Worth looking into, I suppose.
Still doesn't account for the torn up pavement beyond the ends of that "culvert."

And yeah dude, that is a desert.
Or lets at least call it semi-arrid?

Is that good for ya'?

But if that is, I would suggest you look up the climate details for the great basin.

Or any of the other "high deserts" around the globe.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'll just create a separate post for your edit.

Yeah, I suppose roads do wash out in Kansas.
But not suddenly like you propose.
You see, asphalt is sorta' like... ummm... maleable.
It doesn't just break away from itself.

The only way it will do that is if the land beneath it gives way suddenly.
And in a flat landscape, no, that doesn't happen.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Phage,

I'll create yet another post to possibly further clarify what I'm trying to say...
You see, asphalt is much like tar.

Now, run the math, or whatever it is you do, and calculate how TAR in a hot climate breaks way from itself at a 90degree angle because it is sitting atop a culvert.
Or because a mortar went by.
Or because it is a pothole.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage
Hmm? odd, there seems to be two towns with the same name on Google maps, the two towns are 10 km from each other.

Do you know which one it is?

Edit: nevermind, it's the one closer to Asmara... Wonder why there's two towns with the same name 10 km apart.

[edit on 31-1-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Asmara is not terribly hot. Sounds pretty nice actually. A bit chilly at night. Nicer than Vegas. Do the roads melt in Vegas?
Asmara
Can't say for Dbarwa but again, same elevation 10 miles away. How different can it be?

[edit on 1/31/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Soon as i read that the locals heard the noise coming from the 'forest' I thought this case was not what it seemed.
I doubt you could call the vegetation around there a 'forest'. Hardly researched enough originally to mate statements like that.

I'm going with a meteor or some other natural space visitor here.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWretched
Soon as i read that the locals heard the noise coming from the 'forest' I thought this case was not what it seemed.
I doubt you could call the vegetation around there a 'forest'. Hardly researched enough originally to mate statements like that.

I'm going with a meteor or some other natural space visitor here.

G'day TheWretched

Where was the evidence of a meteor?

What about the "180 degree change in direction" that was reported?

I'm not too sure about the meteor theory.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The roads melt in Arkansas.
If the temperature rises to around 100 degrees.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWretched

You know...that's a very good point. No forests.
Questions.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
That is a good point.
Meteor, most likely.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
That is odd, though.
There aren't any forests there.
Is it a language barrier, or just fraudulent reporting?

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

Its good to have people like phage around so they can rationalize the given situation even if it doesnt quite add up to what they're saying. You want to look for a logical answer first but in this case evidence is pointing at exactly what the natives are saying. You should take the two people that died into account a factor that adds alot to the mystery. Not everything is explainable there are instances where ufos have supposedly killed people and evidence points directly at that.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

Its good to have people like phage around so they can rationalize the given situation even if it doesnt quite add up to what they're saying. You want to look for a logical answer first but in this case evidence is pointing at exactly what the natives are saying. You should take the two people that died into account a factor that adds alot to the mystery. Not everything is explainable there are instances where ufos have supposedly killed people and evidence points directly at that.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by sparrowstail

Because the "UFOlogists" got a hold of it?

It sounds to me a lot like a rocket or mortar attack.

For being so intelligent, I am always amazed at how powerful paradigm-lock is in your mind Phage. Pseudo-skepticism seems to be something you are susceptible to, and it's obvious that you don't start from a neutral position and then let the facts explain the story... you start from a position of doubt and find every conceivable explanation other than the one presented. Of course you are free to think however you wish, but let us not confuse hyper-skepticism with intelligence or genius powers of deduction.

In this particular case you point out only those things which serve to enforce your already "skeptical" assumptions. Instead of saying that all the people in the village should be interviewed and even polygraphed, you just dismiss their testimony altogether, or even worse, you cast libelous accusations towards UFO researchers based on nothing but your bias masquerading as analytical prowess.

This supposed "culvert" you think you see at the point where the road is broken up is just not visible to me, and yet you seem convinced that you see it there. Paradigm is a very powerful feature of the mind and it can cause you to fall into the same trap as those who think they see UFOs... it can cause you to see things that may not really be there.

You also think that the article you brought up may shed LIGHT on the subject, and yet it may also shed DARKNESS if it causes you or anyone else to ignore what MAY be a very important case. Just like people who say "it is likely" or "in all probability," you use language that is designed to sway people to your presuppositions, instead of presenting a more balanced way of speaking.

For example, instead of saying that the article may provide more LIGHT on the subject, why not just present the article and say that there could be no connection whatsoever, but that the political environment may be something that should be looked at?

I, for one, would be much more impressed with your analysis if you could be less agenda driven, which is clearly an agenda of debunking things before they are truly debunked. If you had mentioned anything about the people's testimony, at least acknowledging that if their testimony is shown to be true, it would put this story into a different category, it would make you come across a lot less biased, and therefore, much more persuasive.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by JayinAR

Asmara is not terribly hot. Sounds pretty nice actually. A bit chilly at night. Nicer than Vegas. Do the roads melt in Vegas?
Asmara
Can't say for Dbarwa but again, same elevation 10 miles away. How different can it be?

[edit on 1/31/2010 by Phage]

There are some other sources on the net that point to a different location for this event:

Google Map location in Ethiopia

Also, there was another thread on ATS in 2008 that covered this particular UFO event. It begins on page 3 of an thread that covered an even more compelling UFO case:

ATS Thread: The Height of 611 UFO Crash

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by downisreallyup

Also, there was another thread on ATS in 2008 that covered this particular UFO event. It begins on page 3 of an thread that covered an even more compelling UFO case:

ATS Thread: The Height of 611 UFO Crash

Have a look at who posted in that thread and then go re-read the OP.

Notice anything?

It's ok, I'll wait...

[edit on 31/1/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Well living and working in combat zones for the last 15 years and having first hand experience with commonly used ordiance in third world countries I can say this.
Mortars go up and then come down, and depending on the warhead ..can cause impact craters, or employ dispersing agents like white phospherous.
Rockets (Russian or Chinese) RPG's (Rocket Propelled Gernades) RGP 5-6 were the models available back in the 70's to early 80's.
Man operated anti-aircraft weapons (missles) were available but very expsensive, and would be a waste to shoot at a village.

Neither of the three above mentioned ordiances act like the account given by the wittnesses (if we are taking that into account).

Things do fall from the sky and cause damage but rarely do they maintain stable flight, retrace their path and then return airborne....thats pretty unique it was identifed as a "ball of fire" in flight. That pretty much excludes most of the things you'll find in Jane's (especially in the 70-80's)unless they have a new "UFO" section.
It would of been revealing to know the actual cause of death of the child (other than a big ball of fire) and the nature of any injuries associated with the incident.

[edit on 31-1-2010 by jbmitch]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join