It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was The Moon Created By a Nuclear Blast?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I have often wondered throughout my life how the Earth was created. I mean, I get the science aspect of it..but what sparked it?

Years later, Im sitting here, wondering how the Moon was created.

Well, How?

There are many theories, and I would like to share with you, what i think is the most interesting one.

Rob de Meijer at University of the Western Cape and Wim van Westrenen at VU University in Amsterdam believe the Moon was blasted out of the Earth by a nuclear explosion on our planet.

You really have to step back, and think about that for a second.

A popular theory is that the Moon at one point collided with the earth.

Recent lunar samples show that the moon is almost identical in chemical composition to the Earth - suggesting there was no impactor involved.

So if there was no impact...then what was it?

'A more likely possibility for the large degree of compositional similarity... is that the moon derives directly from terrestrial material,' the research paper states.
They believe that the energy that caused the moon to break into orbit around Earth was
'supplied by a supercritical georeactor in Earth’s core-mantle boundary producing sufficient heat to vaporize and eject part of the bulk silicate earth'.
Clay Dillow from Popular Science supports the theory. He states: 'According to their explanation, the centrifugal forces on Earth concentrated heavier elements like uranium and thorium near the surface around the equatorial plane.

'Enough of these elements in high enough concentrations could set off a runaway nuclear chain reaction, similar to the kind that cause nuke plant meltdowns.

'In this way, a natural-born nuclear georeactor was pushed to supercritical levels and: BOOM! The moon was cleaved from the Earth and rocketed into orbit by a massive nuclear explosion.
'It’s a tough theory to test, but we do know that nuclear georeactors existed, their legacy left behind in the uranium we mine from the Earth today.

Interesting theory!! To think that the Moon is actually a piece of Earth...well..I think thats pretty neat.

You can read the full article by clicking below, as well as view a gorgeous picture of the moon.

Click here for article

What do YOU think, ATS friends?

[edit on 29-1-2010 by InertiaZero]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

What sparked it? Most likely, a massive body passing by our thin disc of dust. That caused clumps to form, which skewed the mass enough to pull more dust in, causing a chain reaction where the dust disc turned into the planets and the sun. The sun was large enough to undergo a fusion chain reaction, and ignite.

What caused the moon? You can read the various hypotheses here. Spoiler: the most popular theory among scientists is that a collision with another planetary body caused a chunk of the Earth to fly off, which was then rounded out by gravitational forces.

I would not use the Daily Mail for academic research
There are more valid sources cited in the wikipedia article.

new topics

join