It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Design Crimes: The Logo from Hell!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Design Crimes: The Logo from Hell!

www.fastcompany.com

Immediately following a 1965 episode of Bewitched, Design Crimes HQ's switchboard was overloaded with mysterious distress calls. Many consisted only of whimpering. In the background of some, faint yet hypnotic chimes could be heard. Responding officers found children cowering behind the La-Z-Boy, or hiding in the broom closet, inconsolable. No record of assailant(s) reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Now, independent paranormal graphics researcher Rodney Ascher has re-opened case with conclusive proof, unveiled at the Sundance Film Festival, of the graphic's existence, and recently declassified eye-witness reports of its demonic effect on children in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Assailant now understood to be Screen Gems Logo, comprising animated bars of light that appeared to reach out of television screens, drawing unsuspecting children into alternate dimension through hypnosis and creepy music.

Research now reveals a rash of similar attacks throughout that era. Assailants include PBS and Walt Disney, heretofore considered wholesome and immune to such witchery. A Design Crimes case squad has been formed to examine all reports of attacks. If you or someone you love were or are suspected to be a victim, post a comment below. Following video footage not recommended for children. View at your own discretion.

Interesting news, design has demonic effect on children's. Could it be true? Do signs really carry a hidden meaning as the researcher states?
Co-incidently I just created a thread on Symbols and Logos - Secrets behind 'Logos' and found this article. Discuss.

www.fastcompany.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I looked a the video's.
I don't get it.

Aside from bringing back memories of loafing on the couch in my PJ's, I don't get what was allegedly so scary about the screen gems logo.

What was I supposed to be scared of?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I'm trying to work out if this is a mocumentary, I'm leaning towards to this being just that.

I've found the official site of the movie here

And I notice a reply by the filmmaker in the comments section on his youtube page linked to in the OP.

richartrod (1 week ago)
Is this an actual horror short or a parody of the genre? I laughed at the trailer and the picture of the little girl running away from the big blue S.

I remember being jolted by this as little kid after "Bewitched" and other period TV shows, but I just shook it off a few minutes later and watched the next program. No nightmares or lasting trauma. Oh well... I wish you good luck at the Sundance Festival, and hope it wins an award.

Rodneyascher77 (1 week ago)
@richartrod- thanks! And its not exactly either, though it is a real documentary.

Make what you will of that.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I don't get what is supposed to be scary.

This has to be some kind of joke. I never heard of such a thing and grew up watching these programs when I was a kid. Never heard of anyone having a reaction to the screen gems logo.

Edit to add:

Found this description of the creator of the film. This must be a parody.
He makes mostly humorous films.

Rodney Ascher has been creating his (mostly) humorous, often experimental films for over a decade. His projects include numerous shorts, TV commercials for EA Games and others, music videos for Liz Phair, Buckethead (featuring Serj Tankian,) & Sparklehorse, an animated pilot for VH1, two chapters of the anthology feature Hot Chicks (co-directed with Syd Garon), and umpteen short comedy videos featuring performers like James Adomian, Matt Besser, and Josh Fadem.

His new short, a documentary / horror film ‘The S From Hell’ will premiere at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival.

www.rodneyascher.com...

[edit on 1/29/2010 by Erasurehead]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

He says it's a true documentary on the website itself
[THE SHOCKING, TRUE STORY OF THE MOST TERRIFYING LOGO OF ALL TIME.]

Am I missing something?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Very interesting, thank you for sharing this article.

Two thoughts, upon reading the article/watching the video.

One is about Screen Gems. The logo looks like the number 69.

Two, is the chimes.

In many of the logos themselves, in the second video like the Screen Gems logo, chimes are employed. I noticed a similar pattern of inflections on the chimes in many logos.

Like the previous poster said, this may indeed be some kind of nostalgic parody. But I do believe some companies use their logos to impart subliminal messages.

Off to check out your other thread, I like this topic!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

I can't see it either...

Here is the logo, you can relive your childhood memories

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Thats nothing compared to the BBC's scaremongering closedown...

That used to freak me out as a kid when I would wake up with this coming from my television if I had left it on with the volume up pretty loud.

Theres definately symbolism on television and especially on logo's but as for this one in the topic being demonic, I can see why people might think that as the S looks like 6's with a 9. Thats numerical anti christ numbers, but I dont know if it is deliberate, bit of overhype in the trailer.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

It's a parody film. Take a look at the bio for the creator.

www.rodneyascher.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well let's decide for ourselves, parody? Documentary? Horror?

Full movie here:

ROFL! Ok just watched it.

I want that 9 minutes of my life back

[edit on 29/1/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

That used to freak me out as a kid when I would wake up with this coming from my television if I had left it on with the volume up pretty loud.

Theres definately symbolism on television and especially on logo's but as for this one in the topic being demonic, I can see why people might think that as the S looks like 6's with a 9. Thats numerical anti christ numbers, but I dont know if it is deliberate, bit of overhype in the trailer.

Woah, my phone rang just now while watching that..."unknown number"

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
When I was very young (Black and White transmission in the early "70's") I saw the opening of "Doctor Who" on T.V. I had never seen it prior, I was turning channels at the time, and "something" happened, to this day I cannot describe it, all I can tell you is that I cried my eyes out and tried to crawl under the couch. To this day, I am serious, I will never allow myself to hear that sound or watch, (and I am sure the opening has changed by now), that program again. Is it just me? Anyone else?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Well let's decide for ourselves, parody? Documentary? Horror?

Full movie here:

ROFL! Ok just watched it.

I want that 9 minutes of my life back

[edit on 29/1/10 by Chadwickus]

pause that at 6:27....notice the times on the clocks....I am officially creeped out by this thread now.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Lol! it used the scare the hell out of me too and that clown is even more frightening!!

It's really weird my 13yr old just walked in whilst I played your closedown link and before she saw it, she said "that is the most scariest noise I have ever heard"

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
this show scared the sh#t out of me when i was a kid.. still gives me the creeps watching the intro...

[edit on 29-1-2010 by fatdad]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by findlesticks
reply to post by XXXN3O

Lol! it used the scare the hell out of me too and that clown is even more frightening!!

It's really weird my 13yr old just walked in whilst I played your closedown link and before she saw it, she said "that is the most scariest noise I have ever heard"

I used to have nightmare that the girl would creep out the television with that fricken clown and try to draw x's on my head (was only about 8 years old)

Imagine dreaming that, waking up in pitch black with that high pitched sound coming from your television then turning over to see that test screen on your television.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Woah, my phone rang just now while watching that..."unknown number"

Thanks.

Im telling you, its that wee girl with the clown, shes coming to mark you with an X.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

The music is pretty creepy, but the logos I remember, and don't have any recollection of them affecting me in anyway! Just bullspit.

On another note, if you turn your head sideways the middle of the "S" looks like the eye of Ra/horus, just thought I'd mention that.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It didn't bother me so much so that I could recall, but I DID associate it with a fallout shelter sign. The color scheme of it and the shapes were kind of similar to a child's mind of the times. We were VERY aware of those shelter signs as a child. I guess the stress of thinking doom was overhead with possible nukes was bad enough without a subconscious seed of a similar sign on tv.

Perhaps that was the connection?

Also the fact that those in the video also saw this connection makes me wonder if there was any thought about the similarities at the time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join