It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn Mechanics....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Unbelievable...

My wife has an '89 Camaro...(she loves it for the comfy seats and her back, I love it because it's paid for) We bought it off a buddy, and it's been a pretty good little car for a few years now. We've had some work done off and on on it, to keep it running decent, etc.

Well, the car was overheating and stalling out every now and then (we knew it had a radiator leak, and bad), so we took it to a mechanic. One we've trusted, used for years. The radiator had a big crack, so we replaced it. At first, he thought it was the plugs/wires/dist cap for the stalling. So, we replaced all that. Still had the issue (but he was cool enough only to charge us for parts)... He then thought it was fuel related and (for some reason) that isn't one of the things they work on, so they referred us to another garage...

Right off, I had a not so great feeling about this new place (too many cars around to be serviced...which could go either way)...but, we trusted our old mechanic.

So, they've had the car since SATURDAY...(1/23), and STILL cannot figure out the damn problem. They replaced the distributor, and cleaned the fuel injector. Still has the issue. I'm starting to think that unless a car has a computer, they simply can't figure the damn thing out.... If it isn't done Friday, I'm thinking I have to take it elsewhere (although by this time, this place would likely not charge much...just to get rid of it)...a WEEK and they still haven't got a clue????

Luckily, we have good friends who have been assisting with the transportation problem...but that goodwill isn't something I want to overtax...you know? Un-fricking believable.... I just want to throttle these damn guys.... How much is there really to check in figuring this out? It's one of the most common cars these guys probably grew up around!!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
If you weren't in Florida, I know a guy. If you don't have to leave Florida, don't. It feels like 4 degrees outside in Ohio.

I am not a bad mechanic myself, but my friend is a genius. He could probably diagnose the issue in 20 minutes. I am sure there are individual mechanics down there like that. The problem is that many do not advertise because they are also employed by a mechanics shop.

With stalling engines, it is generally a fuel or air issue. Since the fuel side seems to be covered, I would guess air control valve or airway clogged. Sometimes issues like this can be fixed with cleaning the airway or adjusting the control valve. Sometimes, it all needs to be replaced. Vacuum leaks are also common.

Sadly, it might be time to cut your losses. Go to your mechanic friend and ask him if he knows any good, cheap cars for sale. Mechanics seem to know who is selling what around there. Many, like my friend, own cars they fixed up and are trying to sell.

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have worked on cars myself through trial and error. No mechanics and pretty much no knowledge apart from problems I had to fix when I had no cash at all in dire times, books helped me a lot and saved me a tonne of cash combined with a scrapyard with newly crashed cars that allowed me to pick off parts for next to nothing.

It sounds like you might have a head gasket problem, this causes overheating and will result in the car cutting out.

Mention this and have it checked if it has not already been checked.

Obviously I cannot guarantee that is the problem but I bet it is from the sounds of it, I experienced a very similar problem.

Give me a shout if you need to know more, if I can help you I will.

All of the problems I have fixed myself have been with Vauxhalls, Fords and Mazda's however but it is worth a try.

If this turns out to be the problem, a replacement part would be expensive but you could use a scrapyard or possibly a secondary part for the car (made by a different manufacturer).

Good luck.

Cheers!

[edit on 28-1-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well, they finally got it fixed. Turns out it was a mass air flow sensor and fuel filter. Worst thing is, probably could have had it fixed for under $300 versus all the other crap...

Well, at least it now runs like a Camaro (something it's never really done since we got it), so that's good...and makes me feel better about spending the money. (they did check the head gasket, thanks)... Besides the engine block and tranny, the damn thing is practically new now, lol....

Thanks everyone, for the advice!

new topics

top topics

join