It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary says - "No" to 2nd Term as Sec. of State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Its only a year in, but Hillary is saying she won't go for Sec. of State for another term.

Hillary Clinton says she won't serve eight years

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said she would not serve a full eight years if President Barack Obama wins another term, hoping eventually to retire to writing and teaching.

Clinton, who has spent two decades in the national spotlight and narrowly lost her own bid to be president in 2008, said she enjoyed her job as the top US diplomat but found it physically grueling.

Asked by talk-show host Tavis Smiley if she would serve eight years, she replied: "No, I really can't."

Its got to be a tough job. I remember that Biden took a pass on it and opt'ed for the nice VP job he's got now.

But, I can't help but wonder if she is really just tired - or if by saying "No" this early on that she has other motives.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
But, I can't help but wonder if she is really just tired - or if by saying "No" this early on that she has other motives.

The position is a thankless job.

It's REAL work. The Secretary of State actually ages almost as much as the President. Take a good look at her and Obamas faces right before coming to the white house and take another look at them when the 4 years comes to an end.

Is she really tired?

No, more like didn't realize just how big the job reality was.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hillary has already won the 2012 Democratic nomination. The rest is a mere formality.

Carter got destroyed in his bid for reelection. Ouch!

Obama, if he runs for reelection, won't make it past the primary.

He just lost the military's confidence by changing the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy to the new policy; "Ask, tell." (That's an obvious over statement but you get the point.)

He's done.

And a whole bunch of people in the military are going to turn in their papers.

Hillary doesn't want to write and teach. She wants to be the President.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
That, and she would like to be free to run for president. Let me see....(looks into the future) Hillary Clinton vs Sarah Palin for president. sound about right?

Look here

and here

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

It's becoming rather obvious that being closely allied with Obama is poison for a future political career. By leaving his administration she can distance herself from his failed policies thus positioning herself for a Dem nomination in 2012.
I really dont think that the Republican nominee will be Sarah Palin tho - although Ive been surprised before.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Have to agree.. The fail safe for dems is for her to run in the election.. even if the POTUS runs and fails?

First black potus , First woman potus?

The dems have the next election in the bag.. they put hillory in 2nd place to make sure they win the next one.

The republicans are out for at least 12 years easy.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by intelgurl

The guy who did the rebuttle for the SOTU address seems to be more up for the job.. did a lot better than jindal did..

just my 2 cents

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hillary is taking the 2012 nomination for President. She will be running against Tim Pawlenty.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This Woman has only 1 Agenda.

First Female President.

By taking SoS, she is still there in the fore front of media attention, and

can distance herself from Obama if needed.

O Ya, this woman has a plan.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

This Woman has only 1 Agenda.

First Female President.

By taking SoS, she is still there in the fore front of media attention, and

can distance herself from Obama if needed.

O Ya, this woman has a plan.

Heh - you pretty much covered my thoughts on it. This way she's got the SoS experience and media attention, plus she has the distance from Obama.

Teach? Hmm..she's likely wanting to teach someone a lesson.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
SOS is a grueling job. There's a whole lot of travel and changing of time zones and continual meeting with world leaders, sometimes without a break for days. All of these meetings require extensive preparation and a thorough knowledge not only of the official U.S. positions on all issues but also of differing cultural mores and protocols. Not to mention one fumble or misstatement could lead to an international incident.

It's the hardest job in the country next to the POTUS.

I like Hillary and would like to see her make a bid in 2012, but the Democratic nomination will almost certainly go to Obama. It is highly unusual for a sitting president not to run for reelection.

I am inclined to take her word for it and believe she is just exhausted. Writing and teaching are demanding careers in themselves but would undoubtedly look like a piece of cake compared to her present job. And in 2016 she will be too old.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
You know as much as I personally dislike Hilary, I have been surprised at how she seems to be about the only one of Obama's appointees who was qualified for her post. In the circus that this administration has been, she is the one I'd say is doing a good job. Not great but she does seem to be out of the Obama kill-zone for political careers
In the end of O's term she will probably capitalize on that and be the Dems point person in 2012.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
They way I see it is that she has gotten the raw end of the deal from Obama. I never used to like her, but i ma liking her more and more every day.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
IMO Hillary will run for the Governor of New York Unless something goes wrong she will have ticked or the boxes on her CV and be elected president most likely in 2016 * . Hillary is mad drunk on power I can't see her settling for a life of teaching or anything like that just yet .

Cheers xpert11.

* I expect Obama to re elected in 2012 . If things went really down hill for Obama and his party between now and then I could see Hillary making a run for her party nomination in the same way RFK did against LBJ . Otherwise I would expect Hillary to be elected in 2012 .

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I completely agree with numerous posts and have postulated a number of times that I don't think Clinton will last this year as SOS. It is too difficult and damaging to run for President within an administration, so she will pull out. You also pretty much have to be on the ground running in 2011 to have a shot at the nomination.

She will wait for some deal, say the way Obama deals with Iran and she will pull out due to "differences".

She has also never released her campaign staff from the last election, has a sizable war chest and continues to raise money (a fact not reported in the media).

She's done a good job as SOS and she was a good and serious Senator. This country would be a hell of a lot better off right now were she President.

I don't believe she can be elected though. Bills been shagging anything that moves for the past 12 years and you better believe folks have all of that stuff ready to fly. After this 4 year embarrisment, the country won't elect another administration that will likely be subject to mockery.

Personally, I don't care who he's been shagging, but I'm one vote.

new topics

top topics

join