It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Gore had won

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I really didnt become interested in politics until a few months ago. I dont really know so I will ask you all: If Gore had been elected president, would we be in the same situation? Would we be at war in Iraq like we are now?

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Would 9/11 happen if Gore Won

I don't think it would have. Bush's people are right on target when they liken the WTC tragedy to Pearl Harbor. The Pearl Harbor attack was courted by FDR, who needed for something dramatic to occur which would shift public opinion - very much against America entering into World War II at the time - to be in favor of openly resisting the Axis powers.

It's certainly no coincidence that Bush's propaganda people hail the WTC attacks as a modern Pearl Harbor and then go on to dub Iraq, North Korea and Libya (now our alleged 'friend') 'the Axis of Evil.' The Bush II administration's popularity was scraping bottom when 9/11 came along to give it a life-saving boost. And, ever since this tragedy, Bush's handlers have never missed an opportunity to turn 9/11 to their political advantage.

Also - no doubt equally coincidental - there was inexplicable resistance by the White House to act on intelligence warning it of such a bold and deadly operation. Likewise, Andrews AFB - the Capitol's alert sentinel throughout the Cold War - stood down when a jet violated DC airspace and then slammed into the Pentagon. Bush, meanwhile, continued to read to schoolchildren in a Florida classroom.

Link

If Gore won?

Al Gore, the man who nearly beat Bush for US presidency - and who did beat him according to analysis of disputed votes in Florida - this week presented his alternative to the Bush doctrine of pre-emptive, unilateral wars to protect America from terrorism.

IRAQ AND THE WAR ON TERRORISM

Al Gore, Former U.S. Vice President

Speech to the Commonwealth Club, San Francisco, 23 September 2002

Like all Americans I have been wrestling with the question of what our country needs to do to defend itself from the kind of intense, focused and enabled hatred that brought about September 11th, and which at this moment must be presumed to be gathering force for yet another attack.

I'm speaking today in an effort to recommend a specific course of action for our country which I believe would be preferable to the course recommended by President Bush. Specifically, I am deeply concerned that the policy we are presently following with respect to Iraq has the potential to seriously damage our ability to win the war against terrorism and to weaken our ability to lead the world in this new century.

link

Gore: I would of never started the war

would never start this war if I were President, Former US Vice President Al Gore said via live videoconferencing at The Economist 7th Government Roundtable "Leadership Strategy for the Strengthening of Trans-Atlantic Ties", which took place April 2-4 in Athens.

Al Gore, whose participation in the conference has been prevented by secret services ban on travelling, underlined that he would have tried to deal with Saddam Hussein with all other means available. He was asnwering a question from the audience if he would start the war if he was elected president of the USA.

James Rubin, former US Assistant Secretary of State, speaking before Al Gore in the conference room at Astir Palace Hotel, expressed confidence that Saddam Hussein possesses chemical weapons. He described the Iraqi crisis as the hardest trial NATO has faced since its establishment.

Former Vice President of Sweden Carl Blidt expressed confidence that Bulgaria will become a full member of the European Union in 2007.

The conference was held in the capital of Greece, which holds the EU's rotating presidency for the first half of this year.

link

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
we'd all be dead right now if gore was in office. Defense cuts, catering to the terrorists, I can see nothing good coming out of his administration.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Thats not a question you can really ask this board. You will always get a biased answer (just look at the post above mine). You will hear different things from both sides, libs and reps.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
politics as a whole are biased. Any type of hypothetical question is usually answered by a biased opinion because it's hypothetical, there are no facts that can back it up.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I am a conservative but will answer without bias.

I think Gore would have gone onto Afghanistan for sure. I would hate to think of any president taking something like this lying down. And I trust that Gore would have at least responded. I don't think he would have taken out Saddam though. It is an interesting question though.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by aimlessly
we'd all be dead right now if gore was in office. Defense cuts, catering to the terrorists, I can see nothing good coming out of his administration.

iev been saying that all along. he would bent faster than chamberlin did to hitler

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is out of the question.

The people don't appoint who goes into office anymore, not since 1913.

Bush was going to win and that was it.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I would like to think that he would have hunted down bin Laden and his merry Mullahs and dealt with them rather than starting a war in Iraq for some dubious purpose.

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by Pisky]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
ok olets play the what if game..

what if frogs came flying out of my butt...wouldnt that be a hoot? i mean we'd all die laughing wouldnt we?

what if pigs could fly???

what if we didnt play these insipid what if games.

any of us can imagine what it would be like if this or that happened...but its fantasy and a waste of time. this goes for both sides of the aisle here.

as much as democrats want to say gore wouldnt have done this that or the other its no more true than krazy ivan saying that more americans would be dead.

this is why these what if games annoy me, they only perpetuate ignorance and create more of it, not deny it.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
any of us can imagine what it would be like if this or that happened...but its fantasy and a waste of time. this goes for both sides of the aisle here.

as much as democrats want to say gore wouldnt have done this that or the other its no more true than krazy ivan saying that more americans would be dead.

this is why these what if games annoy me, they only perpetuate ignorance and create more of it, not deny it.

Actually, I look at it as kind of a social experiment. How would Gore (or anyone here in ATS) have reacted to 9-11. Would it have even happened if Gore had been in power ? Would a Gore Administration have alowed it to happen (either by stupidity or design).

I think it's called 'Alternative History' and I find the whole thing fascinating. Like 'What would have happened if Hitler had got into art college', or 'What would have happened if Kennedy hadn't been in an open topped car ?'. Things like that.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
ok pisky now what does this do? besides make the person as though they are "more right" for supporting gore to begin with?

we can do this what if game all day long but it doesnt change anything and has ZERO bearing on our present situation in this world.

yeah it'd have been nice is hitler had gotten into art school. maybe then he wouldnt have been so angry and wouldnt have brought the whole world into another world war. what if his mom would have had a miscarriage instead? what if his mother never met his father? we can do htis all day long but it doesnt solve anything and if i want a fantasy i'll go play a video game or watch a movie.

this forum is about political discussion, not what if games....we are to DENY ignorance...not breed it and this pit has enough of the hypotheticals flying around for the rest of the board!

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
'What would have happened if Kennedy hadn't been in an open topped car ?'. Things like that.

Ah, yes, but as an expert on all things Kennedy (
), I have to point out that the shots that killed your President would have gone through the side windows, even if their had been a metal roof... after all, the grassy knoll was to the side, and his head snapped back... and to the left.

Back.... and to the left.
Back.... and to the left.

(Only joking, by the way... I wouldn't want to get all you conspiriologists started on Kennedy)

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by aimlessly

Gore was one of the biggest hawks on the Democratic side voting for numerous new weapons systems, etc. He was one of the few democrats that cast a "yea" vote in the first Gulf War.

Catering to the terrorists? That's what W. did when he invaded Iraq. The world is now worse off. Gore would have stayed the course in Afganistan and wouldn't have fooled with "Bush's War". Gore was one of the best their was at foreign policy.

You need to read and learn more aimless for you are aimlessly drifting.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was just saying that Alternative History is an interesting subject. I know little of JFK's murder or Hitler's early life, apart from the examples I gave.
I know things can't be changed (Unless John Titor is right and then we're really screwed), but its just an interesting thing to think of when there isn't anything more important to consider.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
Gore was one of the biggest hawks on the Democratic side voting for numerous new weapons systems, etc. He was one of the few democrats that cast a "yea" vote in the first Gulf War.

Combine that with no Saudi connection, implementing his own airport saftey measure and all you can come up with is a sucessful president who would not have let it happen, though if it did, would be uninterrupted with Iraq on his Afgan tour.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hate to rain on the Gore revisionist historical parade but...............Gore whored his vote and went against his party for primetime media attention.

"After Senator Gore left, Senator Dole asked Howard Greene, the Republican Senate secretary, to call Gore's office and promise that he would try to schedule Gore's 20 minutes during prime time, thus ensuring plenty of coverage in the news cycle. Later that night, Senator Gore called Greene and asked if Senator Dole had scheduled him for a prime-time speaking slot.

When Greene said nothing had been finalized yet, Gore erupted, "Damnit, Howard! If I don't get 20 minutes tomorrow I'm going to vote the other way."

Gore held out for primetime

I remember the stink he caused in the democrat party when he did this - there was a hue and cry from the left.

If Gore were pResident we would just about be wrapping up at the U.N. whilst the American people fell asleep with boredom - but we could all be arguing over the carbon tax and the shutdown of much of our industry to comply with the Kyoto treaty.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I doubt it. We would be in a worse situation right now... I think Bush is much cmarter than Gore...

new topics

top topics

join