It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Born Again American Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I received this Born Again American link in an e-mail today. I checked it out, and it is on their own website tied into People for the American Way, a liberal PAC. With a title like Born Again American, I think they are trying to co-opt the name we born again Christians call ourselves. What do you think?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

Sounds like a musical line in the sand. Non-violent, but defiant in the cause of liberty and freedom.

God bless America.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Two points.

People can describe themselves in whatever way they want, provided of course it is not an attempt to deceive someone for fraudulent purposes which clearly is not the case here since they are not pretending to be you. Their use of it certainly doesn't prevent you from also using the term to describe yourselves.

Being born again or re-born is a common theme that appears through history in various contexts and traditions. The phoenix myth is one that pops to mind immediately. This is not just Christian phraseology, but is in more general use.

I think that you should feel quite flattered.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My take on it is that if Norman Lear is behind it, which he is, then it is an attempt to move Americans to a more liberal view of what it means to be 'born again'. I personally would NEVER refer to myself as a born again American. I love my country, but squishing 'born again' together with 'American' is to blur the line between my faith and my country. I would never put an American flag on the platform at church, for example. My first allegiance is to God.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

I hope you don't mind me putting in a few thoughts as an outsider.

I understand your concerns. However perhaps you have been just a little hasty to condemn in this instance. I have in my possession a copy of 'The Soup Bible'. I do not take the title as an affront to the Scriptures; it's simply that 'Bible' has come to signify what is authoritative. It would surely be ridiculous to take offence.

The term 'born again' has also gained use as a way of signifying 'radically renewed and invigorated'. So unless you believe there's evidence of a deliberate attempt to damage the Christian concept per se, use of the term is surely non-offensive - and as another poster already pointed out, arguably even complements the real meaning.

As a whole I believe you Americans have a wonderful respect for and determination to uphold the principles on which your country was founded. I'd encourage you to value attempts to express these things. In many countries apathy reigns supreme.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I am born again, and again, and again, and again. Been here walking this Earth many times, many life times. Hopefully this will be the last before a period of R&R on Aldaron, near the fountains.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Thank you, pause4thought! I appreciate your perspective! I agree that the way Americans love their country is admirable. If this video did not come from a political action committee, then I would find it rather innocuous. But it does, and that makes me question the intent.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

Thanks for your comment, metamagic. Oh, I am aware that 'born again' as many other Christian phrases has been used by others. But in America, where 'born again Christians' usually vote for conservative candidates, it is impossible to brush this off as innocent. Flattered? No, not at all.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Ha ha very funny. But what does that have to do with my thread? Notice I put this in a political forum.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Perhaps you missed the lyric "my bible" in the video. That doesn't sound at all like Norman Lear to me.
I think you're making hay with words. "render unto caesar" means what to you? Jesus never challenged the state, he simply said that his kingdom was "not of this world".
This is your country too, take some pride in it and it's principles. God made people to be free, America is the closest any nation has come to fulfilling that ideal.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thanks, Asktheanimals, for your comment. No, I didn't miss the fact that they threw the bible into the song, not at all! Did Norman Lear leave the bible out of 'All in the Family?' As I remember, Archie Bunker misquoted it regularly. No, the fact that the bible is in the song is just as suspect as 'born again'. I am pretty sure the objective is to co-opt the meaning of the words of the evangelical right; you know, us 'mental abortion' fundamental Christians, as you like to call us.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I have done all, vote, talk back to congress members and have done volunteer work.

What did I got from it, well voting doesn't count much this days, sending E-mails to congress only got my husband and me audited by the IRS and the state two times and volunteering got me abused by the same people I was volunteering for because my good will.

So the hell with everything in this nation, I have lost hope.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I have done all, vote, talk back to congress members and have done volunteer work.

What did I got from it, well voting doesn't count much this days, sending E-mails to congress only got my husband and me audited by the IRS and the state two times and volunteering got me abused by the same people I was volunteering for because my good will.

So the hell with everything in this nation, I have lost hope.

First of all, thank you for trying! It is one thing to sit around complaining about government, and a much more admirable thing to get involved, like you did!

I disagree with the first part of your last sentence, and agree with the latter part about the U.S. I want so much for the U.S. to be as it was in my childhood! But that is gone, and I don't think it is ever coming back. It makes me sad, but it doesn't dim my hope, because 'my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness'. The story behind the song is here.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Keith Carradine wrote the song.

As has been said, the phrase "born again" is not a Christian phrase and does not belong to Christians, just as the word "marriage" does not belong to them. No one can "co-opt" something that does not belong to anyone. Words are here to use freely.

It's a patriotic song and there are Christians on the left.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Keith Carradine wrote the song.

As has been said, the phrase "born again" is not a Christian phrase and does not belong to Christians, just as the word "marriage" does not belong to them. No one can "co-opt" something that does not belong to anyone. Words are here to use freely.

It's a patriotic song and there are Christians on the left.

Thank you for causing me to research further Keith Carradine and this song. I found this, which tells me I am not the first conservative to find it very fishy that the left is using the language of the right. Of course we don't own the words. But a song like this is very deceptive, because the words have been taken from conservatives for use in a liberal cause.

The Christians on the left, as I was, just aren't as far along the path of enlightenment that God will lead them on if they will read His word (the Bible!) and stop throwing away the parts that make them uneasy.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by novacs4me
But a song like this is very deceptive, because the words have been taken from conservatives for use in a liberal cause.

The words never belonged to conservatives. You're making that up. How can someone take something that never belonged to you?

The Christians on the left, as I was, just aren't as far along the path of enlightenment ...

I see.
Go post in the religion forum. It's clear you're using this occasion to proselytize.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

But a song like this is very deceptive, because the words have been taken from conservatives for use in a liberal cause.

The words never belonged to conservatives. You're making that up. How can someone take something that never belonged to you?

The Christians on the left, as I was, just aren't as far along the path of enlightenment ...

I see.
Go post in the religion forum. It's clear you're using this occasion to proselytize.
Oh aren't you predictable? Anywhere a Christian voices an opinion, you show up to try to shut them up. Well, we have as much right to speak as you do, at least for a little while longer!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
And here is another guy who sees what is really going on in this song. Even the Huffington Post had an article where THEY saw the religious connotations of the words in the song. I know liberals and atheists and New Agers won't be disturbed at all by this song. I am writing this to alert conservative Christians (who maybe already know!) that this has nothing to do with the America we love, and is all about the country the demo-rats are creating.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Oh aren't you predictable? Anywhere a Christian voices an opinion, you show up to try to shut them up.

You must have me confused with someone else. I fully support freedom of religion AND expression. If you interpret my words as trying to shut you up, you are sorely mistaken.

Even the Huffington Post had an article where THEY saw the religious connotations of the words in the song.

Of course it holds religious connotations. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying is there are religious people on the left, too. Religious people (and non) have every right to claim to be "born again Americans".

I am writing this to alert conservative Christians (who maybe already know!) that this has nothing to do with the America we love...

Then you should have posted in the religion forum. Bye now.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Oh aren't you predictable? Anywhere a Christian voices an opinion, you show up to try to shut them up.

You must have me confused with someone else. I fully support freedom of religion AND expression. If you interpret my words as trying to shut you up, you are sorely mistaken.

Even the Huffington Post had an article where THEY saw the religious connotations of the words in the song.

Of course it holds religious connotations. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying is there are religious people on the left, too. Religious people (and non) have every right to claim to be "born again Americans".

I am writing this to alert conservative Christians (who maybe already know!) that this has nothing to do with the America we love...

Then you should have posted in the religion forum. Bye now.

No, it is political. Christians are allowed to be political, too. I'm not leaving, but you are welcome to. But I know you won't. You only pretend to tolerate Christians. You won't be happy unless you kill the thread, right?

top topics

join