It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 Extinct Animals That Have Been Photographed Alive

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
When will humans ever learn
, when you cause an animal to become extinct, the environment is thrown out of balance, because every life form on this planet plays a part in keeping the environment in harmony, all life forms except man that is.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddio
I agree with the top sentence, but I think you are a bit wacked on the last one. I would kill millions of humans before I would kill 1 animal.

I'm sure you're just trying to get a rise on that one. If not then you should really consider talking to a professional, getting some help.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

This by no means surprises me. We discover totaly new species every few years. The method of species sampling we use to determine viability is basd on a very simple mathamatical modle. Divide a given space into a grid, and count the numbers of the animal of your choice with in that section of the grid, then multiply accross the whole grid. Doing a complete survey with rhis method takes time and much worse, a lot of money.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
My dad claims to have seen a small flock of Carolina Parakeets in the early 1960's and it was the only time he had seen them before or since. I thought he had probably seen feral quakers but, between the two photos he was certain it was the Carolina Parakeet.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Just something Ive been pondering... Say if by some miracle humans are still around when it comes to the sun dying, or some insanely large asteroid crashing into the earth.. Do people think it would be our duty to save the animals, or should we leave them to get on with it?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Noah took his wife, his three sons and their wives, and two animals of every kind on board. After forty days and forty nights of downpour, the world was destroyed. Every living organism that was not on board the ark perished (Youth Walk Devotional Bible Genesis 6).

reply to post by Bluebelle

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Feels weird to look at photos of animals no longer in existence.

Dinosaurs, mamals from thousands of years ago- That's another story.

It makes the experience almost eerie to be able to see a photo- And to know that what you're looking at, will never exist again, anywhere else.

Anyone else know what I mean?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
Noah took his wife, his three sons and their wives, and two animals of every kind on board. After forty days and forty nights of downpour, the world was destroyed. Every living organism that was not on board the ark perished (Youth Walk Devotional Bible Genesis 6).

So what did they all eat when they got off of the boat?

Better yet, what did the carnivores eat while on the boat? They would've eaten all of the other animals, correct?

Well, let's talk about reproduction now. Is it acceptable for you to marry and reproduce with your brother or sister? Would you produce viable offspring? No. So how was the earth repopulated, without using magic, by one family?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
That was a joke since bluebelle does not like having people quote bible verses to her. haha. Still it's an interesting question:

www.answers.com...

Further research has largely discredited the notion of a single Eve, although scientists have found that modern humans are descended from a very small population, perhaps as few as five thousand individuals.

reply to post by yadda333

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
that really is mind boggling... 20 million years that dolphin has thrived in 1 river...now, within 50-100 years, ablink of an eye on the cosmic time scale it has dissappeared. it is absolutely discraceful that we have done this.....it really
puts in perspective the effect we have had on this planet....disgusting

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Yeah the paddlefish is over 200 million years old and about to go extinct:

www.umesc.usgs.gov...

reply to post by cypresssskill

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Interesting pics. That's the fist time I seen that half zebra. Now there have been some accounts of people claiming to see a Tasmanian Tiger recently according to a show on the History channel, may have been Monster Quest.

There are a lot of animals that may not be extinct or animals that may exist and we don't even know about yet, there are still forest that cover such vast areas. If an animal doesn't want to be found it could hide easily. I would even suggest unknown animals like Big Foot. If it lived in the thick forest areas and doesn't want to be found it probably won't be found, especially if it was fairly intelligent.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

So what did they all eat when they got off of the boat?

Better yet, what did the carnivores eat while on the boat? They would've eaten all of the other animals, correct?

Well, let's talk about reproduction now. Is it acceptable for you to marry and reproduce with your brother or sister? Would you produce viable offspring? No. So how was the earth repopulated, without using magic, by one family?

Yes I think it was ok to family to inter marry in the early times of the Bible because there was so few, it wasn't until later it was forbidden. Also men lived to be like 100's of years old as well.
They probably ate vegetation, fish, and it wouldn't take long for animals to reproduce.
I don't know if Noah's ark it a story for a lesson to us or actual hard core facts, not 100% sure.
The fish would not have perished

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

That was a joke since bluebelle does not like having people quote bible verses to her. haha.

Oh thank god! I was in utter disbelief reading that.. didnt even know where to start with replying to it.

I am interested to see what peoples opinions are on it though.. Im guessing the general consensus will be that we should save them. But then that contradicts the whole 'stupid interfering humans' thing. Because while we can contribute to the extinction of various species, we are also in a position where we can save them... so if we should be living in harmony and whatever else then money should stop being spent on animals that would have gone extinct on their own anyway. Let nature take its course.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by crusaderiam
Yes I think it was ok to family to inter marry in the early times of the Bible because there was so few, it wasn't until later it was forbidden. Also men lived to be like 100's of years old as well.
They probably ate vegetation, fish, and it wouldn't take long for animals to reproduce.
I don't know if Noah's ark it a story for a lesson to us or actual hard core facts, not 100% sure.
The fish would not have perished

Dude.. it was a ark that contained enough room to house millions of animals, which would have also have had to carry thousands of tons worth of food, with which you'd have to feed to all the animals everday. Oh and Noah built all this himself. And then the water just casually ebbed away into nothingness.

That story has ZERO basis in reality. If you're going to try and teach people a lesson then including mary poppins style storage compartments is not the way forward.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
O.K. I'll take you up on this as I have a masters degree in sustainability! haha. First of all there are studies considering the "normal" rate of species extinction compared to human intervention. Secondly there's something called "genetic drift" which means that if a population gets too small then the random mutation of genes from interbreeding no longer makes the population viable and they will go extinct. So the "random rate of gene mutation" also has to be taken into account, along with the normal rate of species extinction from not adapting to environmental changes.

Most of the species going extinct are actually insects but, as the recent bee die-off has made apparent, we actually rely on insects as the foundation of the ecosystem. Even crops would die off without pollination.

Finally there's this recurring issue of considering Nature separate from humans as people have pointed out. So at first there were national parks made and all the humans were kicked out. But then it was realized that the indigenous or first nations of the local ecosystems in fact best know how to take care of the environment. So there's usually a couple leaders who literally have a whole library of knowledge about the local medicinal value of plants. It takes a rare combination of plants to make certain products, etc.

So much of the so called pristine rain forests are actually ancient gardens -- very complex gardens -- from ancient civilizations. And so it's best to think of forests as gardens again, only farming should no longer be done with monoculture using pesticides, etc.

Entomologists studying insects are then developing natural insecticides as alternatives to pesticides -- for example using nicotine from tobacco.

Still the agribusiness is based on monoculture so that the Amazon is being replaced with soy beans!

This is sheer madness but China relies on soybeans for pork production and Europe relies on soybeans for chicken production -- both importing from the Amazon.

The Amazon also provides 20% of the world's oxygen supply and 20% of the world's freshwater supply along with the main source of genetic diversity.

So the Amazon is the brain of the planet -- and replacing it with soybeans is the most stupid thing possible yet Cargill illegally built a $20 million elevator to store soybeans in the Amazon.

People, of course, are unaware that modern civilization is still based on this "rape" of the planet.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Why are you caring about extinct animals when there are people out there starving and worse, I would worry about peoples rights and establishing that then worry about some animals.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Yeah it's kind of tricky to figure out that humans are just another species and in ecology it's known that a population climaxes and then dies off. Humans are different though because as our population climaxes we are taking the rest of ecology down with us -- so it's not that we need to save other species but we need to save ourselves as well:

www.dailygalaxy.com... e-to-around-a-quart.html

reply to post by okimas

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I had no idea about the Passenger Pigeon. Just goes to show you the arrogance of humans. So many then all gone.

And the Catholic Church actually being involved in the extinction of a species. That is crazy.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cypresssskill
that really is mind boggling... 20 million years that dolphin has thrived in 1 river...now, within 50-100 years, ablink of an eye on the cosmic time scale it has dissappeared. it is absolutely discraceful that we have done this.....it really
puts in perspective the effect we have had on this planet....disgusting

"We" didn't do anything, China did it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join