It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Christianity Keep us Conforming to Society?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
A christian primary task is to "Serve God and wait for his son to return from heaven."

"The son of God will come down and reprieve Christianity followers, and salvation will come to these loyal followers," which is the common Christian motto used today.

Blindly believing that the son of God will come reprieve Christianity followers of their troubles will set up the mind set of not worrying about doing anything to rescue themselves from their troubles, which they have the potential of doing. It’s basically gambling at its finest were there’s a potential to lose and a potential to win. More so, on the chance of losing.

People rarely realize that the "Now" is more important than anything that happened in the "past," and it's more important than what may happen in the future. The "Now" has the potential to fix our problems. The future or past lack such a potential, and is pretty much pointless to rely on to fix our problems.

We have evidence of the harm relying on the past has caused if people have the eyes to see. Particularly the bible, which is full of text that promotes conforming to society.

"Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.” –Hebrew 13: 17

“First then, I urge that requests and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all kings and all in authority, so that we may live peaceful and quiet lives…” 1 timothy 2: 1-3

Why should we submit to our corrupt governments? If God was all knowing, and this book couldn't have been written by man, then why even include this information considering the corrupt government we have today?

It's debatable (as of now) on whether relying on the future is harming us as well.

I see one problem relying on the future holds, and that's overlooking the "Now" and ignoring and “looking the other way” at our current problems.

We're stunting our collective growth as a society and have little to no potential of breaking out. We live by society false principles, and ideology.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by GrandKitaro777]

[edit on 24-1-2010 by GrandKitaro777]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandKitaro777

Just a few points, if I may...

First, the scriptures you quote are, if i am not mistaken, from the Old Testament, not the new so... the link to Christianity is tenuous.

Second, I am not aware that those particular scriptures were applied during either the French or American Revolutions... both led by many who were Christians.

I personally do not see anything in Christianity that precludes opposing authority when it is abused... unless you count 'turning the other cheek', as an example of submission rather than sacrifice.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I'm a Christian, and I'm not sure you grasp the entirety of the Bible and it's teachings. Awaiting the Lord's return does not make us passive, some it may, but not the ones I know. We are individuals that seek to improve our lot in life with God's guidance and wisdom, not manna falling from the sky. If you read in Proverbs...you see that God blesses those that work hard, listen and learn from their elders, walk a rightous path. Paul helped establish and guide many churches in the New Testament, but also mended fishing nets to support himself. Joseph in the Old Testament, Abraham, Lot, Noah, Moses, Joshua, David, Soloman, Daniel, Nehemiah, and so many others sought to improve their lot in life with God's guidance, not with whatever God threw at them. Now don't mistake my words, God's gifts and blessings are always appreciated, His miracles are sought, but we Christians also believe God helps those that help themselves.
We see the Bible promoting independence, self reliance, and self determination...all under the guidance of the Lord God Jesus.
As far as defying authority and tyrrany, that too is supported... when the defiance is justified. Again, Moses, Joshua, David, Shadrack-Meshach-Abindigo, Paul, Ezekiel, Peter, John, and the other Apostles all represent defiance... again in the light of God's words and teachings.
For instance, The Ten Commandments say we are to have no other god other than The God Yaheweh. We are to bow to no other gods either. In Daniel, Shadrach-Meshech-and Abindigo did not bow to Nebbuchadnezzer nor his statue when the horns sounded. Think of the sight, thousands all laying prostate before the king except 3 men. they stood by their beliefs in open defiance of the law.
It is that defiance and guidance from the Lord that has guided and inspired countless warriors in history, both here and abroad.
What about Jesus..."turn the other cheek" or "Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and unto the Lord what is the Lord's?" Realize that Jesus, defied the Sadducees and Pharisees...religious and political leaders in His day by hanging around drunks, prostitutes, lepers, and other "trash" of society. He refined what the "law" was and attempted a societal change. He also turned over the money changers tables in anger in the Temple Courtyard to fight corruption and injustice to foreigners and the helpless of society. He never proclaimed Ceasar god, nor bowed to him, nor worshipped him. All rights come from God..the God. Jesus, in effect was a radical, and for this He was killed.
I'd say He was an excellent model for revolutionaries like our forefathers. No, most Christians I know are independent minded, try to live as Christ as best they can, love God...their families...and America. And they won't roll over for anything or anybody. Worst yet for those that oppose them, you mix God-Jesus with a moral cause and you have a fight on your hands.

join