It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SC Lt. Gov: Poor Like "Stray Animals." Don't Feed Them or "They Breed."

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne

But slavery really has nothing to do with 'race.' It has to do with finding cheap labor from places where the people cannot defend themselves (Vikings used to enslave the Irish - they're practically genetic cousins).

I wish people would quit with this nonsense, and quit spreading reasons for people to hate each other.

I essentially agree with you. Slavery in one form or another has existed in nearly all parts of the world and in nearly all societies for thousands of years.

There were even blacks and native Americans who owned black slaves.

But to defend dragonseeker and earthdude a bit, the oppression of African Americans didn't end after the Emancipation Proclamation. There were many generations who lived under what was essentially apartheid in this country. African Americans couldn't receive equal wages, go to white schools, drink out of white water fountains, use white restrooms, ride in the white sections of public transportation, eat at white restaurants, swim in white pools, and suffered many other discriminatory practices. This happened as recently as the 1960's.

So there is only one generation that has even begun to be really free and equal in our society.

I think what earthdud is saying is that a people who have been told by society that they are essentially worthless except for near-slave-labor wages for many generations is gong to find it more difficult to reach social and economic parity with the majority population, at least for a few generations.

[edit on 31-1-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Maybe we should quit feeding politicians they seem to be breeding too well these days . Our politicians genetic pool needs some chlorine in a serious way .

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I can understand that argument. They're disproportionately poor not because only they were slaves, but because of how recent the slavery ended. That's a different angle, and I can understand that.

But it still doesn't make it right to keep them as slaves, using the mass economy as the slave owner (John Q. Public foots the bill through his taxes, and is essentially keeping them there poor, by sustaining them enough to not want to work). That's the real crime, and if I don't want to be part of the system, I am thrown in jail.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Arcane Demesne

ummm.ya....
the welfare system didn't come about to help the poor blacks...
it came about to "help" the independent women!!
women wanted equal rights! they decided they would go into the workforce enmass, and well, can you imagine just how high the unemployment rate would of shot up? they wanted equal footing with their husbands, were tired of taking orders, ect....
well, the gov't kind of bribed them instead (there's a reason why the era ammendment wasn't passed, and never will be!)
they made it easier to get out from under their husband's yoke, but well, they were still under a "master, the gov't!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Interesting take on it. One thing to consider: welfare in one form or another in this country came before "women's lib."

IMO women didn't go into the work force just because they wanted equal opportunities. There are still many women who would prefer to raise the children and take care of the home front to going into the job market.

I think it's economics that caused the mass migration of women into the workplace. It's very hard to support a family on one income anymore.

And women in the workplace are an economic advantage to employers. They still don't pay equally for equal work in many instances.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I think it's economics that caused the mass migration of women into the workplace. It's very hard to support a family on one income anymore.

I absolutely agree. I would love for my wife to be able to stay home...or myself. It stinks having to send my daughter to daycare (which costs too much) or her to her mothers. We miss out on many things and nor will we get the connection that our parents had with their own parents.

Now we have no choice. It's a tragedy.

People need to ask themselves why life is now this way when it wasn't not that long ago......

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join