It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery as century-old Swiss watch discovered in ancient tomb sealed for 400 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Mystery as century-old Swiss watch discovered in ancient tomb sealed for 400 years

www.dailymail.co.uk

Archaeologists are stumped after finding a 100-year-old Swiss watch in an ancient tomb that was sealed more than 400 years ago.

They believed they were the first to visit the Ming dynasty grave in Shangsi, southern China, since its occupant's funeral.

But inside they uncovered a miniature watch in the shape of a ring marked 'Swiss' that is thought to be just a century old.

Watches were not around at the time of the Ming Dynasty and Switzerland did not even exist as a country, an expert point
(visit the link for the full news article)

[mod edit: fixed title]

[edit on 24-1-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
bit of a kooky story here, at first glance this reminded me of stories where ornately designed ornaments are found in the most unlikely of places entombed in coal etc

but a hundred year old swiss watch buried for 400 hundred years being found i a chinese tomb, that dates from a time when switzerland didnt exist is odd.

Time travel anyone?

www.dailymai l.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
ouuuuu

time travelers maybe?.

or some jokers.

either way it must have been hard as hell to get that there.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Time traveler

Aliens

Ghosts

Tomb wasn't actually "sealed"

Indiana Jones is at it again...

^Cool story^

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well, im gonna go out on a limb and say that the 400 yr old sealed tomb, hasnt actually been sealed for 400 years, and the last people who were in there lost their watch...

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There was a Russian gentlemen who wrote a book recently about how history has been altered and even made up . He writes and does a fairly good job of proving that in the book . He says even countries have been changed , I believe he says Jerusalem is actually Constantinople .How history has been manipulated horribly , especially during the middle ages by people like da vinci . But I might be confusing that with another book . Anyway , he documents how timelines have been changed and how history is much younger than mainstream scholars believe . Google alternative history You might find the author as I cant remember his name or the name of the book. If I find it I will post an edit

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hans kammler

Dude! Enough already with the Daily Mail links. There's more to the world than that one 'news source.'

On topic, google swiss watch found in old tomb. That story is old...two years old. There's at least one thread that I've posted on last year. Way to go Daily Mail.

'Stryke' out for an alternative source

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
frozen in the advertising standard, aesthetically pleasing hand configuration of about 10:10.

very strange.

maybe a rat chewed it off a more recent corpse and "deposited" it after burrowing into this tomb.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
OK, this was discussed already in 2008 here. And in many more threads...

I haven't seen this ring watch recently in any internet news pages, but there is an easy way to tell whether the watch is 400 or 100 (or 20) years old. In the Old Days (100+) years ago, the Watchmakers and Master Watchmakers always signed the watches they manufactured with their names. They typically didn't use the word "Swiss" or anything like that, especially when they manufactured exclusive ring watches.

Moreover, if you look at an old Swiss watch dial with a loupe or a microscope and see the word "Swiss" roughly at 6 o'clock, you may notice additional letters there. The text may read "R - Swiss - R" or "T - Swiss - T" which means that the watch was manufactured in the 20th century. The letters R and T stand for Radium and Tritium, respectively, which were the essential additives of the self-glowing watch dials. Radioactive stuff, and poisonous when digested.

The letter R was used in the early 20th century, the letter T was used later, after the 1950s. Nowadays few watch companies use radioactive stuff in the glow-in-the-dark watch dials any more, which means that they do not shine so brightly in the dark any more. And therefore the letters have usually been dropped out after the Eighties.

This is how I would date a watch - as an amateur watch hobbyist!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's my watch! I want it back. I left it there when I went back in time to meet my uncle, Foo Man Choo. I gave him that watch because I thought it would be funny when they found it 400 years later.

And look what happened. It did turn out to be funny... lol

Btw. Foo Man Choo couldn't even use it. He didn't know how to tell time so he used it as a pendant around his neck and told anyone who would listen that it was a "Time Displacement Apparatus". No-one believed him though.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

lol i was thinking of you when i saw this article on the daily mail, your welcome!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

lol i was thinking of you when i saw this article on the daily mail, your welcome!

Yeah at least we can laff about it. I starred you for a sense of humour

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Fianlly I found the book and the author who actually scientifically proves our time line is way off for the western world !!!!
His name is Anatoly Fomenko - he wrote the book "History fiction or science?" chronology 1 and 2 - plus a couple of others

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Here are Fomenkos claims from wikipedia

Fomenko's claims
[edit] Brief summary

In volumes 1, 2 , 3 and 4 of History: Fiction or Science?, Fomenko and his colleagues claim:

1. That different accounts of the same historical events are often 'assigned' different dates and locations by historians and translators, creating multiple "phantom copies" of these events; these "phantom copies" are often misdated by centuries or even millennia and end up incorporated into conventional chronology;
2. That this chronology was largely manufactured by Joseph Justus Scaliger in Opus Novum de emendatione temporum (1583) and Thesaurum temporum (1606), and represents a vast array of dates produced without any justification whatsoever, containing the repeating sequences of dates with shifts equal to multiples of the major cabbalistic numbers 333 and 360;
3. That this chronology was completed by Jesuit Dionysius Petavius in De Doctrina Temporum, 1627 (v.1) and 1632 (v.2);
4. That archaeological dating, dendrochronological dating, paleographical dating, numismatic dating, carbon dating, and other methods of dating of ancient sources and artifacts known today are erroneous, non-exact or dependent on traditional chronology; that their use in conjunction as 'confiming' one another is a statistical fallacy - probabilities can't be added.
5. That there is not a single document in existence that can be reliably dated earlier than the 11th century; that most 'ancient' artifacts may find other than consensual explanation;
6. That histories of Ancient Rome, Greece and Egypt were crafted during the Renaissance by humanists and clergy mostly on the basis of documents of their own making;
7. That the Old Testament is a rendition of events of the fourteenth to sixteenth centuries AD in Europe and Byzantium, containing 'prophecies' about 'future' events related in the New Testament, which is a rendition of events of 1152 to 1185 AD;
8. That the history of religions runs as follows: the pre-Christian period (before the XI century and JC), Bacchic Christianity (XI-XII century, before and after JC), JC Christianity (XII-XVI century) and its subsequent mutations into Orthodox Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, and Islam;
9. That the most probable prototype of historical Jesus was Andronikos I Komnenos (allegedly AD1152 to 1185), the emperor of Byzantium; known for his failed reforms, his traits and deeds reflected in 'biographies' of many real and imaginary persons;[11]
10. That the Almagest of Claudius Ptolemy, traditionally dated to around 150 AD and considered to be the corner stone of classical history, was compiled in sixteenth and seventeenth centuries from astronomical data of the ninth to sixteenth centuries.
11. That 37 complete Egyptian horoscopes found in Denderah, Esna, and other temples have unique valid astronomical solutions with dates ranging from 1000 AD and up to as late as 1700 AD;
12. That the Book of Revelation we know of contains a horoscope that is dated to 25 September - 10 October 1486 compiled by cabbalist Johannes Reuchlin.
13. That the horoscopes found in Sumerian/Babylonian tablets do not contain sufficient astronomical data; consequently, they have solutions every 30-50 yrs on the time axis and are therefore useless for purposes of dating;
14. That the Chinese tables of eclipses are useless for dating as they contain too many eclipses that did not take place astronomically; that Chinese tables of comets even if they were true can't be used for dating;
15. That all major inventions like powder and guns, paper and print were made in Europe in tenth to sixteenth centuries;
16. That Ancient Roman and Greek statues, showing perfect command of the human anatomy are fakes crafted in the Renaissance when, according to Fomenko, such command was for the first time attained;
17. That t

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hermitoutofhishole

You should read this link. Fomenko is a nutter.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hermitoutofhishole

Wow, thanks for the link and info, I myself have questioned the chronology of history.

What I found quite interesting is that wiki also lists some figures that were discontent with current accepted chronology.....of which one was no other than, Sir Isaac Newton.

To just accept such a theory as BS as some put it above, is in it self ignorant. Never assume anything until you have researched and can prove it yourself.

this next quote springs to mind;

"The man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed
than he who reads them; inasmuch as he who knows nothing is
nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods
and errors."
-- Thomas Jefferson

I think i'll try and get hold of fermenko's chronology volumes, if nothing else, I'd be an interesting read.

Back to the OP's post, It is interesting that nothing new has come of this finding!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If not taken in by an animal, or planted as a TV hoax, well it would just add to a list of good Google searches. Such as…

Man and Dinosaurs Walked together fossil
Ancient nuclear war
Electricity used to build the pyramids

new topics

top topics

join