It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coyote Found Frozen Dead In His Tracks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
knucklesunited.com...

Have you ever asked yourself how cold it would have to get to freeze an animal dead in its tracks? Well if so, the answer is -28 degrees. That’s how cold it was in Silt, Colorado when this coyote froze solid right in it’s tracks

I found this rather interesting, it looks to be frozen mid stride(snap frozen?) like we hear about the woolly mammoth's being frozen with food inside there mouths.
It's often used as a point for climate change arguments. i can't remember off the top of my head but it was said to freeze the mammoths was some ungodly low temprature.

Does this change anything about our perceptions of the circumstance that the mammoths were frozen?

If nothing else it looks awesome.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestink

Does this change anything about our perceptions of the circumstance that the mammoths were frozen?

Not a bit. Huge animals like Mammoths could maintain their heat due to their sheer mass. Smaller animals like that unfortunate coyote cannot keep their heat and die but it would take even colder temperatures for to kill off the megafauna.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Well how do we Know it's even frozen? Did it freeze just before they took the picture? Not even some frost to be seen.
I guess it is frozen, as in freeze frame. I have yet to see a photo where the subject isn't frozen. crap thread.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
-28 degrees is not cold enough to freeze a coyote in its tracks.

I have had dogs that loved -40.

Someone is playing a joke on someone.
The first thing a dog or coyote would do if caught in weather to cold too survive in the open would be to dig in and roll up to preserve body heat.

This is why surivial training teaches you to dig a snow cave and take cover as it will be warmer in a snow cave out of the wind and protected then exposed to the wind chill.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Manners are a wonderfull thing.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

aaaaaahahaha Randy, damn you.

I have a theory of this coyote,... perhaps this is a stuffed coyote, which was purchased at a garage sale but fell out of the back of a truck on the way to its new home ??

no ? dammit !

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
-28 degrees is not cold enough to freeze a coyote in its tracks.

I have had dogs that loved -40.

Someone is playing a joke on someone.
The first thing a dog or coyote would do if caught in weather to cold too survive in the open would be to dig in and roll up to preserve body heat.

My big dog will not come into the house even on the coldest days of the year... He's a malamute, so he's built for the cold... but my wiener dog will try to bounce around for as long as possible to keep warm before I open the door.

Is it possible for an animal to stay active all the way until it's heart stops/freezes?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I guess it is frozen, as in freeze frame. I have yet to see a photo where the subject isn't frozen. crap thread....

someone clearly doesn't know how to use a link. multiple shot freeze frame that should be it... of course how could I miss that one?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I'd say it suffered a severe heart attack from a nearby lightening strike that was conducted through the snow when it contacted the ground. Can that happen?

The "poop" that is half nosing it's way out could be the givaway.
and dead as a doornail in that photo because the snow has "drifted" right up to it's chin.

Could this not also have happened to the mammoths that were found with food in their mouths? Struck dead in an instant half way through dinner.

Poor sod...at least it was quick,

[edit on 24/1/2010 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I love how on the link one of the comments is so lame

"his life on paws?" :p

Made me giggle.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
I'd say it suffered a severe heart attack from a nearby lightening strike that was conducted through the snow when it contacted the ground. Can that happen?

The "poop" that is half nosing it's way out could be the givaway.
and dead as a doornail in that photo because the snow has "drifted" right up to it's chin.

Could this not also have happened to the mammoths that were found with food in their mouths? Struck dead in an instant half way through dinner.

Poor sod...at least it was quick,

[edit on 24/1/2010 by nerbot]

Lightning and snow tend to typically not go together.

Besides that it wouldnt be conducted through the snow as electricity seeks ground through the shortest path.

edit to add: especially since snow being almost "pure" water would be even less conductive

[edit on 24-1-2010 by watcher73]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Oh My ! Now that is pretty amazing, pretty frozen, the pic link doesnt do the article pictures justice though. Poor puppy!

[edit on 24-1-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dumbass

Originally posted by randyvs
I guess it is frozen, as in freeze frame. I have yet to see a photo where the subject isn't frozen. crap thread....

someone clearly doesn't know how to use a link. multiple shot freeze frame that should be it... of course how could I miss that one?

Yes you two should probably switch names from the posts of his I have read.

top topics

join