It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church and Christianity a rant.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
So those of who know me sort of know that I had church hopped in the past two years so here it goes.

First I went to a Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Church my first step in overcoming my fear of Church. I left because they was out dated and racist after visiting a few times.

Then I went to a Catholic church and seriously thought about converting but left because of the psychological barrier of once a Catholic always a Catholic. Also the priest got me thinking of why choose Christianity when I can choose any religion (I mentioned that I was into comparative religion to him.)

During that Catholic church period (uh four or five months) I visited a Methodist Church but left because I wanted to be a Catholic.

So after I left the Catholic Church without saying a word to the priest I went to a Southern Baptist Church on and off again for almost a year. I have to say it was terrible the preacher said God will cripple people to get their attention if they choose to ignore him. Said God views us as ants and can crush us. Bashed other religions every Sunday (which pissed me off ALOT.) Said Christians that don't go to church aren't real Christians. Showed the crucifixion scene of the Passion of the Christ to kids during Easter (imagine the psychological damage that will cause.) Said he read a newspaper article about a teenage girl that died in a wreak and asked the congregation if they knew where she'd be going a kid pointed up and he said "NO not if she didn't have Christ she'd go straight to Hell." He also used alot of fear mongering. Said God didn't spare Sodom and Gomorrah and they he wouldn't spare our country.

So I a few months ago I decided to try a different Methodist Church and it was okay no body bothered me but a lady mentioned to the congregation that this one family didn't go there all the time like it was a bad thing (why the back biting people?) I also went to First Baptist Church regrettably twice, they tried roping me into 5 different activities (introduction for new members, singles bondfire, youth group (f** you church I'm not a kid), singles adult bible study, and something else I can't recall.) They were way to pushy I hate that.

I have a general disdain for Baptist now. I'd take my chances with Hell then ever go back to a Baptist Church.

No body my age goes, it's mostly people 40+ there is nothing there for me. My above experiences are driving me away from Christianity. I struggle with my beliefs daily. I can't find rest.

I should take this year out to try a different path. I wasted two years on Christianity and it hasn't brought me anything but bitterness.

I have no problem with Christ just the people that claim to follow him. I'm dropping my cross and leaving Jesus behind. I hope God doesn't destroy me because of it. It's a path I can't keep going down. I'm taking the fork in the road and seeing where my journey will take me.

Good bye Christianity it's a bitter divorce.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Dropping the label of Christianity (or any other label for that matter) is fine. But I hope you dont disregard the spiritual wisdom's Jesus left behind.

We carry our cross is allegory...showing us, our choices and our nature matter. When one is ready to place their material attachments of Earth apone the cross...they show awareness within and to God...what life they are trying to live for. I think Jesus is telling us...we must carry our own cross...for another person cant carry our wrongs for us. This also shows the spiritual law of we reap what we sow. Jesus told us that this is a spiritual law that cant be changed, for it is how we learn. He taught why humbleness, patients, love, offerings, and compassion to others is important...for it sows good seeds.

Jesus was made out to be something he was not, he was tied to a belief system that he spoke against. Discern things with your heart. How do you think people found God before books were even made to tell us about God? It seems once man tried to fix God to a book...the nature of God is greatly distorted.

Some of the Bible focuses on Earthly Temples...but Jesus taught of the Temple of the body, the Kingdom that was within, the Kingdom that is built without hands.

Just some things for you to think about...I accept Jesus as a great teacher but I am not a Christian and I dont place my wrongs onto Jesus or blame Satan for them. I dont accept the blood sacrifices or chosen people for God.

Try finding an understanding about things...within yourself, through a personal path between you and God. Thee knows if you are seeking, have faith the Holy Spirit will guide you and offer you comfort in your times of trouble in your heart.

Just some things to mabey think on...
My best
LV

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Where does this come from? I do not know if you were ever baptized, but when one
is baptized it is in Christ, not any religion.

That was the worst movie ever made about Christ. Is sensationalized the
violence, in our face rawness, much to intense for children. It does not follow
the Gospel, using non -scriptural traditions plus the imaginative inspiration
of the filmmaker and private revelations.

You seem to be taking an 'I'll know it when I see it' attitude. I think first you
ought to spend some time, in silence, and gather your own thoughts of what
you believe. Religion, as a man made expression of faith is not equal to faith.
Your faith is a gift, God's self gift.

You have a lot in common with Gandhi who belived the teachings of Jesus,
but was turned off by Chrstians. Thomas Jefferson wrote his own bible, in
which he denied the divinity of Jesus, but thought him to be a great moral
teacher. Since you 'have no problem with Christ' follow his teachings,
you do not need a religion to have a relationshp with Jesus.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I guess I'm still bitter over that Baptist Church, not sure why I should care so much. I guess it rub me the wrong way one too many times.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You should find some way to forgive the Baptists. If not God might require you to be a Baptist minister yourself. If you must be one to forgive one, that would be better for you than cursing or cutting them off from God's mercy.

If God requires it of you, I can probably teach you what it means to be a true Baptist like John Bunyon or Roger Williams or Martin Luther King, it's not easy; and could involve jail time or wandering in the wilderness with savages.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by pthena]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I've never been baptized. Fearful of ever taking the plunge. It would be a big commitment.

As for me ever becoming a Baptist minister later in live that would be irony at it's best.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
OP...

You also said 'you cant find rest'.

Know that you are loved beyond all your imagination...you are eternal and will keep learning through trials. We need trials, we can embrace them for they mold us into what we are, just as much as the good things in life do.

Know you are worthy, to seek with your heart and find that personal path that resonates for you. Be good in your heart, so you can be a light unto others. I dont think God is worried about the details to our beliefs. We are made with reason...and intuitions. We are made to discern.

The 'rest' can be found, in just knowing, you are loved. If your heart is true, comfort will come.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm just going to take a further break from church. I haven't gone in 8 weeks as it is. I might go back at the end of next month.

I might go back to the Methodist Church or just scope out a Nazarene Church since they emphasize being Christ-like.

We shall see, until then I will stop my church/religious rants since it's not helping me or anyone else for that matter.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Same types of experiences I had

I was raised Catholic...never again
I tried Christianity...never again

The interesting thing is you name all these churches who have spoken out against non-believers...

I have been to 4 seperate Wiccan covens and not once have I heard a bad word uttered about another religion...I was also free to come and go as I pleased because they realize something important

I am NOT a victim...I create my destiny and then I am either let in to heaven once the goddess weighs my heart or I am sent back to try again

Now let me make this superbly clear

I am NOT trying to get you to go Wiccan or anything and I am NOT saying I am right and the rest of you are wrong...merely stating my opinions and what I have experienced

if under your own volition want to hear more about Wiccan and Pagan ways feel free to U2U me...if not then I promise my feelings won't be hurt and I'll never say a bad word against ya

good luck

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I have no problem with Christ just the people that claim to follow him. I'm dropping my cross and leaving Jesus behind (OP)

This is a contradiction. You can't bail on God because of some regular people who don't keep his words. That's a cop out IMO.

God isn't leftover thanksgiving dinner.

You either believe he is Him or not.

And he doesn't want you to leave him because of some hypocrites. Son we are about to enter WW3, the micro chip, and global communism which the same God predicts in the bible. Hold on to him for dear life please.

nomatter what.

I am the opposite of kyozero.

Raised lax and grew up not christian, was ruthless - then converted to the catholic church by not just flipping a coin. OP, Gods church is not a coin flip. Ask him to show you through biblical mean which church he founded. He only founded one. ok rant aside.

Now I'm a Catholic by CHOICE. And whereas I used to be ruthless and Godless, now I am filled with love, even with a dead heart, but still he saved me and I know my life.

Keep searching and don't bail on God because it's a cop out.

peace

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
lol I've tried flipping a coin a few rounds if I should be Hindu or Muslim. It kept coming up Islam two out three lol.

join