It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama plans combative turn with Brown win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This guy is unbelievable
No class!
Poor LOSER!
Can't take a hint!

President Barack Obama plans a combative response if, as White House aides fear, Democrats lose Tuesday’s special Senate election in Massachusetts, close advisers say. “This is not a moment that causes the president or anybody who works for him to express any doubt,” a senior administration official said. “It more reinforces the conviction to fight hard.” A defeat by Martha Coakley for the seat held by the late Edward M. Kennedy would be embarrassing for the party — and potentially debilitating, since Democrats will lose their filibuster-proof, 60-vote hold on the Senate.

There won’t be any grand proclamation that “the era of Big Government is over” — the words President Bill Clinton uttered after Republicans won the Congress in the 1990s and he was forced to trim a once-ambitious agenda.

This guy just doesn't listen!

“The response will not be to do incremental things and try to salvage a few seats in the fall,” a presidential adviser said. “The best political route also happens to be the boldest rhetorical route, which is to go out and fight and let the chips fall where they may. We can say, ‘At least we fought for these things, and the Republicans said no.’”

Aides say that in his State of the Union address on Jan. 27 and in his budget on Feb. 1, Obama will unflinchingly roll out real fiscal austerity measures that they say will draw flak from both sides of the aisle. Already Obama’s rhetoric is reflecting what aides acknowledge is a strong undercurrent of populist anger. By these lights, impatience with the status quo — rather than any rightward turn in the mood of the electorate — is what would fuel a Brown victory.

Where is his common sense?

What is his agenda?The people are obviously screaming we don't like your policies and he just keeps blindly/ignorantly trudging on.
Maybe he's not the intellectual some gave him credit for!

[edit on 19-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

[edit on 19-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Actually, I and many others whom were supportive of Obama have become completely disenchanted and angry at the dems overall because they are being the most spineless worthless form of government ever seen.

Its the fact that even with a supermajority, they failed to do...anything, because they are questing for the impossible bipartisanship.

Personally, I hope Mass is lost so that Obama and the rest of the dems know patience is not infinate. if I was in mass, I would perhaps vote republican also to send a shot over the bow of the ship...lead or get out of the chair...you will never recieve bipartisan support for anything you do, go in under that assumption and start hammering out your partys vision as you were voted in to do.

frustrating...infuriating...they simply dont know how to lead once in position...they talk a good game, but when its time to do it, they wilt.

Close gitmo, timeline Iraq, pass healthcare reform, repeal patriot act, get your agenda rolling or just quit already..reps dont like democratic ideas? fark em, dems won...reps never asked dems to hold hands with them when they did whatever the hell they wanted...its a 2 party system because there is absolute disagreements in these areas...

He has a choice...he can spend 4 years accomplishing absolutely nothing beyond pleading to the minority republicans for support and denied, or he can grow a backbone and get #e done. Instead of campaigning for other dems...call them out individually...if some senator from wherever is being wishy washy...use the podium to get the guy either on board or voted out...no more hand holding...lead or get out of the way.

bah, politics frustrates me.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

He has a choice...he can spend 4 years accomplishing absolutely nothing beyond pleading to the minority republicans for support and denied, or he can grow a backbone and get #e done. Instead of campaigning for other dems...call them out individually...if some senator from wherever is being wishy washy...use the podium to get the guy either on board or voted out...no more hand holding...lead or get out of the way.

bah, politics frustrates me.

how is doing everything behind closed doors with a big sign reading, "DEMOCRATS ONLY, NO REPUBLICANS... We have 60 votes without you so we don't give a f**k!" "pleading with a republican minority"?

There is a growing surgance of independant voters in america... people disinfranchised by this obvious and oblivious big government, special interest idiots in congress right now that don't seem to care at all how the people vote, who simply want a check and balance to the current legislation. If coakley wins in massechusetts, I have no more hope for our nation.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

I know how you feel.I am really trying not to get my hopes ups but this could really restore some sanity to this country obama is trying to destroy.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
That is what I am hoping. If brown wins, it will force the dems in power to rethink one way or another. Either they will continue to ignore the people and try to ram this through and try to deny Brown his vote on the healthcare, or they will have to *gasp* read their near-3000 page monstrosity of bribes and union/special interest favoring legislature, delaying or entirely scrapping it out of the realm of possibility. Either way, the people will notice, and they will have to actually listen for once in this retarded congress we have currently.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Actually, I and many others whom were supportive of Obama have become completely disenchanted and angry at the dems overall because they are being the most spineless worthless form of government ever seen.

Its the fact that even with a supermajority, they failed to do...anything, because they are questing for the impossible bipartisanship.
I am sorry, but have you been living on the same planet as the rest of us? There has been zero "quest for bipartisanship" from the Democratic Party. They have locked the Republicans out of everything.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Oh how true.......they've locked the republicans out, but notice who they let in. The unions. So, when did the unions become a party, when did they get a vote............hmmm, I can't recall it happening? Seems really hypocritical for this administration to blame the republicans when they aren't even allowed there. Star for you my friend.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Yes, $60 BILLION, that is the tax break that the unions are getting if the healthcare bill goes through. I am not in a union, so I will be paying $15,000 in taxes a year for my 'Cadillac' health care plan. We are going to the dogs quick.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

TDS

At about 7:15:

If Coakley loses, Democrats will only then have an 18-vote majority in the Senate, which is more than George W. Bush EVER had in the Senate, when he did whatever the *%#@ he wanted to do. In fact, the Democrats have a greater majority than Republicans have had since 1923... But for Democrats, a majority of 100 is 60.

It is frustrating, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Frankly, if things were done in Dem only locked doors, all this would be sorted out

Health care, with the public option (overwhelmingly agreed on in the polls initially) would have been passed

Funny, the more they reduce down the public health care bill to become more moderate, the more the polls drop...they solve it by cutting even more and more out, and wow, the polls drop even more.

I see whats going on.
go back to the original plan with public option, pass it, stiff the corporate insurance morons and those they lead, and voila...done.

Bipartisanship is a curse word in my opinion, the left will never see the right, the right will never see the left, just leave it at that and do what you campaigned for in the first place...who cares about the noisy few mislead by big insurance campaigns, this is about the people, not the corporations.

as far as me living under a rock...no, I have been living free from limbaugh/beck brainwashing that has taken a few people in completely...

yes, obama is mao...obama is stalin...sure...whatever you say..now can we ignore the morons and get some crap done pls. ktksbie

political threads...bleh...I need a shower now. back to ET for me.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Frankly, if things were done in Dem only locked doors, all this would be sorted out

Health care, with the public option (overwhelmingly agreed on in the polls initially) would have been passed

Funny, the more they reduce down the public health care bill to become more moderate, the more the polls drop...they solve it by cutting even more and more out, and wow, the polls drop even more.

I see whats going on.
go back to the original plan with public option, pass it, stiff the corporate insurance morons and those they lead, and voila...done.

Bipartisanship is a curse word in my opinion, the left will never see the right, the right will never see the left, just leave it at that and do what you campaigned for in the first place...who cares about the noisy few mislead by big insurance campaigns, this is about the people, not the corporations.

as far as me living under a rock...no, I have been living free from limbaugh/beck brainwashing that has taken a few people in completely...

yes, obama is mao...obama is stalin...sure...whatever you say..now can we ignore the morons and get some crap done pls. ktksbie

political threads...bleh...I need a shower now. back to ET for me.

Holy crap, I don't even know where to start. First off, things HAVE been done in Dem only locked doors. THE ENTIRE SENATE BILL WAS DONE THIS WAY. Dem only, no repubs. So they bribe a few *cough Nebraska*, get it through, and then again... democrat only, special conferencing to try and get both bills together.

NO REPUBS HAVE BEEN INVOLVED. NO BIPARTISANSHIP AT ALL. And you know what they've accomplished? NOTHING! They can't even get all their own party to agree together!!

The *house* plan had public option, but those 60 democrats in senate were AGAINST public option. They throw it back in and then it won't repass in senate. Which is why all this headbanging is going on.

You are living under a rock if you think even an ounce of this healthcare bill showed even a tiny microscopic speck of bipartisanship (which you supposedly oppose). All it has done is throw favor to those fellow democrats willing to take a bribe for their state to commit political suicide, and give special interests and labor unions a hefty chunk of change (in the term of $60,000,000,000 tax credit) on this inane cadillac healthplan tax which only hurts (and very specifically so), non-union, middle class citizens and private business owners who aren't from nebraska, louisiana or maine.

top topics

join