It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami-generating quake possible off Indonesia: scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Now it seems to be Indonesia that may be hit by an earthquake. And we havent forgotten Haiti yet, so I wonder what the international community will do if a major earthquake hits Indonesia.

But atleast this time Indonesia will be prepared and maybe the loss of life would be less. We can predict earthquakes, but if there was some technology to prevent it, it would be so nice.

A huge wave-generating quake capable of killing as many people as in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami could strike off the Indonesian island of Sumatra, and the city of Padang is in the firing line, a team of seismologists said on Sunday

The group -- led by a prominent scientist who predicted a 2005 Sumatran quake with uncanny accuracy -- issued the warning in a letter to the journal Nature Geoscience

"The threat of a great tsunamigenic earthquake with a magnitude of more than 8.5 on the Mentawai patch is unabated. (...) There is potential for loss of life on the scale of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami."

Source: www.physorg.com...

[edit on 18-1-2010 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I never believed in any of the harp stuff or whatever it is, but things are getting so non stop, like once in a life time tragedies are going on days, weeks, and months apart, that I am seriously begining to wonder what the frock is going on!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

I think that it is a case of information being relayed much more readily than it has been in the past. With the digital revolution the whole world is right at your door. News of disasters that may once have taken weeks to be disseminated around the globe are now hitting our TV screens just hours after they occur.

Whilst I look forward to the idea that we will be able to accurately predict such disasters and prepare for them in advance, I really hope that this proves to be false. It is always terrible to see such suffering, but with organisations still involved in assisting in Haiti it would be terrible for another event to occur in the next few months in particular. It would draw attention away from that disaster and would place incredible pressure on getting assistance to Indonesia quickly.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by ilandrah]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
There are about 10 earthquakes over 5.0 every day.
But it sure seems like there is some underground activity lately that is setting off rumblings. Maybe it's nuclear testing for the big bang that's right around the corner in 2010.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

theres an easy answer to that and its called gaia theory i think. Basically the planet is one living organism and if you consider that humans are a cancer on this organism then one way of curing itself is by reducing the human population.
paybacks a bitch....

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007

theres an easy answer to that and its called gaia theory i think. Basically the planet is one living organism and if you consider that humans are a cancer on this organism then one way of curing itself is by reducing the human population.
paybacks a bitch....

YES! Man is evil, the earth is good. Mystery solved!
Now I will go research gaia.

top topics

join