It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Company To Offer Street-Level Images Of Cities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
What do you get when you cross a global positioning system (GPS) with a digital camera? You get InsViewPlus, a digital property information system from Imageos, Inc. Imageos has plans to capture street level images in the largest 25 cities in the U.S., and offer an integrated system that can give police, firefighters, and insurance companies overhead and street level views of a street address, or longitude and latitude.

sunherald.com
An odd-looking van sprouts 13 digital cameras that its builder wants to use to photograph 50 million buildings in the country while driving, taking pictures every 15 feet.

The van's drive-by snaps would be matched against GPS satellite positioning data and aerial photographs in a database. Police, insurance agents and others then could call up overhead and street-level views simply by entering an address.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to Imageos' Paul Jurasin, the database of images could be used by officials, responding to a emergency request, or insurance companies who want to make sure you have a fence around your pool. Or maybe your friend in another state wants to know if your pool is bigger than his, and if you landscaped your front yard properly"It gives them more information than they would get by driving up to a house, before they get there,'' Jurasin said.

Currently only Orlando, Florida has been mapped, and the company is waiting on further funding to implement it's goals. If this system were to take off there is sure to be a long line of customers waiting to use it's technology. Now if homeowners could only submit inside pictures of their houses, we could do away with realtors all together.

Additional Information
Imageos, Inc.
View Images of Orlando

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
That could be interesting, but heavens it could be a REAL drag on any computer system (all those images!) And the database would be staggeringly large.

I'm so glad I don't have to write any SQL queries on that monster!

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I wonder what they would do about updating the system. New houses come up all the time. Houses and buildings are demolished, remodeled, moved, etc. Oh well, just another expense for taxpayers I'm sure.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'm sure that Osama Bin Laden would find this very useful.

top topics

join