It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas Woman Gives Birth to 15th Child.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Arkansas family celebrates birth of 15th child

FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas (AP) -- Michelle Duggar is all smiles after delivering her 15th child, but she may be ready for more, her family says.

Mother and child were doing well, although Michelle, 37, was feeling some discomfort because the birth was her second by Caesarean section, said her mother-in-law, Mary Duggar.

"She's a trouper. She's just all smiles," Mary Duggar said.

Jackson Levi Duggar was born at 10:52 a.m. Sunday, weighing 7 pounds 8 ounces and measuring 20 inches.

www.cnn.com...

The baby's father, former state legislator Jim Bob Duggar, sounded a bit tired but happy after returning home Monday. He said his wife and new son were doing fine. He said he leaves the decision up to Michelle on whether to have more children.

"I have always left it up to Michelle because she's actually the one that carries them and does all the labor," he said. "But we both love children. Even yesterday, she said she would like to have some more."

Their children include two sets of twins, and the parents have stuck to the letter "J" for their names. There is Joshua, 16; Jana and John-David, 14; Jill, 13; Jessa, 11; Jinger, 10; Joseph, 9; Josiah, 7; Joy-Anna, 6; Jeremiah and Jedidiah, 5; Jason, 4; James, 2; and Justin, 1.

When I first read this story, I was thinking it would be a case of another woman who was taking fertility drugs, trying to have children. I also thought, great, another welfare case, more children that everyone is essentially paying for.

Boy was I surpirsed. These people seem to just love children and want a large family. At least that the impression that I get from the story.

I wish them luck and may God Bless them all.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Wow, that is not only impressive, but insane. I have two, but have vowed no more than four.

That woman has been pregnant for 11 years 2 and 1/2 months of her life, and any woman who has been pregnant (or man who has had to live and deal with said woman) knows it's no picnic.

Good on 'em though. I wish them well.

cma

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Woah, 15?! That is alot. But, in other parts of the world that can be common....
Still, it makes us think how different the metabolisms of women are when in the birth cycle.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
15?!? wow, she and her husband, must of had a lot of fun

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Two words: Birth Control!

The guy must have one hell of a well paying job to be able to afford it all.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Two words: Birth Control!

The guy must have one hell of a well paying job to be able to afford it all.

he did at one time : former state legislator

now he's in real estate .

I know back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for a woman to have 5+ kids, my dad had a total of 6 brothers and sisters.

I have only 2 brothers...

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

WOW... just WOW. The logistics of a family that size, God bless 'em.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
That's quite the family!

I've got one, and don't really plan on anymore, muchless 15!

My parents both grew up in huge households, my Mom has 11 brothers and sisters, my dad 9. That'd be a hell of a lot of work!

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Should we let people have 15 children? I mean, I hate the government trying to tell us what we can and can't do, but come on! If that was a poor family, thats 15 new welfare forms to fill out, meaning more taxes for you and me. Not to mention the children's well-being. If the family can't afford to take care of them, including having someone watch all 15 children and raise them. How will they pay for 15 kids to go to college? Thats 15 hard working Japs we have to turn back now because of our population.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'm all for freedoms, including the freedom to have a large family. Indeed, at different points in history it was necessary to have such large families. Hell, in the South it was more than necessary (hey, cheap labor) and it was tradition as well up until the 1950s to have such a large family. Of course it's slacked off now, but I commonly see 5-7 children per family still, so large families are still a big deal here. This becomes a major problem if the said family was poor. You may see it as discrimination, but I see it as the truth. Poor people shouldn't be allowed to have large families. Their children will suffer and instead of having equal opportunities, they will have rock bottom opportunities in a world based on money.

Even if the family is rich enough to support a large family, should they be allowed to do so just because they can afford it? I haven�t found many statistics (granted I haven�t looked) to see the effects of a super large family has on the emotional development of children. Do their minds develop at a steady pace, or do they develop slower due to lack of attention? If we were in need of repopulating the planet, then by all means have 15 kids. Hell have twenty. But we're living in a world that is overpopulated... do you really need to add to the problem? Can you really love 15 kids with equal devotion? I don't think you could.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
15? Good for them and best of luck.

still ain't much in other parts of the world. The Bin Laden Family consists of IIRC..... 47 kids! (though different Mothers, but one father)

new topics

top topics

join