It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth of Haiti-an attempt to stop the madness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Source: direct email from Jubilee USA

I just wanted to send a quick note and share with you our good news. Late Wednesday, the US House of Representatives passed the Haiti Debt Relief and Earthquake Recovery Act of 2010! You sent over 2,000 messages to your Members of Congress last week in support of Haiti and debt relief for even more countries - and it made an impact.

The passage comes a week after the US Senate approved the Haiti Recovery Act (S2961). Both bills will make sure that Haiti will receive debt cancellation fast.

Last month, thanks to advocacy around the world, G-7 finance ministers committed to cancel Haiti's $709 million in outstanding debts to the International Monetary Fund, World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, and International Fund for Agricultural Development. Now it's just a matter of making sure they act quickly, which Congress is doing by using the influence of the United States in the financial institutions.

The passage of both bills shows that our leaders on both sides of the aisle can respond quickly when the call for justice is heard loud and clear.

Melinda St. Louis
Deputy Director, Jubilee USA

Sounds like good news but due to IT issues, I've not been able to read much about the meat of this bill. I'll be surprised if it isn't full of gotchas.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnJasper

I remember hearing something about the debt cancellation, mainly by independent nations. Like you said, I seem to remember the IMF "forgiveness" as having a lot of strings. I'll have to look around, but I think that the IMF had forgiven the old debt, but issued a shiny new loan which included part or all of what was owed to them, plus new funds, the interest rate may have been slightly lower.

I wonder, with all the financial and humanitarian hardship globally, what would happen if every nation had their debt forgiven and everyone started with a clean slate. If I remember correctly there are only 4 small nations that are actually debt free, so I wonder what the ramifications of wiping everyone's slate would be.

Edit: could you post the date of the email? I remember from stuff from early feb. but I'm not sure if that is old and the email is newer, thanks

[edit on 16-3-2010 by searching4truth]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
You mean people are saying the Haitians deserved their earthquake because they'd made a pact with the Devil?

And there are other people who actually believe this?

These would be Christians, right? I don't see anyone else buying this tripe. Not all Christians either, just some of the Baptist/revivalist lot. Well, they are more stupid and more evil than even I give them credit for.

Link some of the threads so that decent-minded folk can give them a little talking-to, and set them right.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Yes, people were actually saying that, I started this thread in January after many threads on how Pat Robertson was correct in his version of history. Crazy, I know, but when some peoples education comes from the idiot box, the end result is a bunch of idiots.

I don't actually know who Pat Robertson's audience is, I think he's Baptist, or that's what he claims, but when I've watched him speak he uses the all encompassing Christian. Who knows, he's a scam artists regardless, but don't tell his followers that.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

They were posting that on ATS? Put up the links, that the Hammer of the Hatemongers might show them better. Or u2u me.

[edit on 16/3/10 by Astyanax]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I just used the ats search function here's 3, if you would like to see the rest, I just used Pat Robertson + Haiti, there are quite a few some better than others, and some are quite long but the you tube video of him is embedded for his original comments, as well as the comments of some members that inspired this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

The Jubilee email was dated either on the posting day or the day before. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a copy of it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join