It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cormac McCarthy's "The Road": A warning

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Very accurate description of our possible future, unfortunately.
Good movie I thought, but didnt read the book.

Maybe even a tad optimistic in my opinion!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
What makes you think that people "long" for a TSHTF scenario. I don't believe the majority of us preppers and survivalist truly want to the day to come despite the fact that we are planning for it. In reality we are just realists who know that one day depending on our accumulated knowledge and supplies may be a real possibility.

I am not deluded. I am aware that there are people out there simply preparing for a possible situation to occur, and don't actually wish for any kind os apocalypse to happen.

I am talking about a growing trend amongst these people and people in general that have a desire to see it "all come crashing down".

I have had numerous conversations with people who have this deep seated desire. They think that an apocalypse will free them from that shackles of society and the slave like process of wake, work, sleep, wake work, sleep.

They think it will be like a scary but fun roller coaster ride... A quote from one person I had a conversation about it with.

"I'll be more than fine if the world ends, or some kind of apocalypse happens. I own a gun (or guns), I'll just rally all my friends and family and head into the bush and build a fort, hunt game and grow food. Personally I think it will be the best fun I've ever had!"

Yeah @#$% right. Chances are you'll be killed within the first few weeks or months following any global destructive event, You'll either die in the event itself or you'll be killed and raped and eaten by marauding gangs, and if your not killed by some kind of gang you'll join one.

I am fully aware we live in a world today where an apocalypse event can occur. Pick your cause, but it won;t be a fun FALLOUT 3 MAD MAX experience

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have seen the movie, "The Road." Have not read the book as yet, but it is on my to do list. From what I have heard, the book is even grimmer than the movie and no movie could do the book justice in the depiction of the doomsday scenario as illustrated in text. However, the movie was very depressing and it is something I would expect in such a scenario. Chances are it will be blind luck surviving such an event, because it will hit by surprise whatever it is. So, no matter how well stocked, well fortified, or armed a person is and their home; it won't last long. Plus, holding up in a centralized location is asking for trouble, because it is only a matter of time before bandits or scavengers descend upon the residence to pillage.

You can't hold off a band of armed thugs forever, sooner or later the group is going to get what they came for. The only plausible scenario would be to remain mobile and travel with as minimal baggage as possible, as the man and the boy do. Constant mobility will be the key. The sedentary lifestyle will be unsustainable and risky when armed groups are entered into the equation.

However, I still believe survival will be blind luck in a scenario as devastating as in the movie, because chances are it will be something completely opposite of what the doomsday people have forecast. In the sense of the element of surprise, and how one would react to such a hopeless scenario, the movie shows it well. So preparing is of little use, because the supplies will run out or be robbed and murdered by those with more manpower and weapons than you. So, the life of a traveler/scavenger would be the only means of survival. Which the movie demonstrates well.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JahKinG SouLJaH
Ohhh man I wanted to watch this movie so bad in the theater when it came out but I lost track of time. I have not seen it yet but given the trailer it seems like "The Road" is the aftermath of "2012" the movie. I wish it was still in theaters or on DVD now!

There are no indications as to the nature of what happened in the film. Its left open so people can fill in the holes themselves.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join