It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine poll tensions stirred up

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Yep, the russian empire tried to keep the communists on power, this is well known in the country. I followed the events (on the news) back then.

balkans.puscii.nl.../republic-moldavia-revolution-or-rebelion-will-be-updated-when-new-things-happen

The people say the election result was fraudulent. Some 200.000 dead people voted and some other 500.000 people that live no more in Moldavia, voted also. Because of their large number of seats won in the Parliament, Vladimir Voronin is, again, for the third time President of the country, without being voted by the people.

Edit to note: the population of Moldavian Rep is about 3 million, so 0.7 million vote fraud is a big deal.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Romanian]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

I cant believe actually people sell their dignity , freedom, right etc for a few pounds ! Guess what - it happened to other Eastern European countries too , and i talk about recent period. Countries that are now a part of the EU, and for the same 10-15 £ . People would get a camera from the "agent" , they have to go and vote the "right" candidate, make a pic then show the pic to the agent in order to get his cash. It is DISGUSTING! And i am sure it will happen in Ucraine too

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Romanian]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

What proof is there that Voronin's campaign was backed by Russia's or that Russia had any involvement with the supposed fraud?

And what are you trying to do anyway by bringing Moldova into this? What does that have to do with Ukrainian elections and Yanukovich's win?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Yep, sorry Moldavia is a different issue indeed: the Russian support for the communist party is also WELL known !

I just wanted to show a pattern in Eastern Europe when we talk about fraud during elections. Yes, people sell their votes for a 10 £ , yes dead people vote , yes people that left the country also "vote" . I just hope the best for Ucraine with the elections cos I like the Ucrainian people and I think they suffered enough .

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
Yep, sorry Moldavia is a different issue indeed: the Russian support for the communist party is also WELL known !

Oh well if it was "WELL known" according to you then that is all the proof we need. I could by the same measure state that lobotomy is well known to cure depression.

I just wanted to show a pattern in Eastern Europe when we talk about fraud during elections.

Is it likewise fraud if a pro-NATO candidate wins and is challenged by the pro-Russian candidate, or is your example of "fraud" one sided? There is also a very major difference between "fraud" and "allegations of fraud". If you want to show patterns then stick to known and established facts rather than rumors and gossip.

Yes, people sell their votes for a 10 £ , yes dead people vote

According to who? To you? To yellow press? Why 10 £ and not 100 Hryvnia and where did this number even come from? Is it the Brits paying for the votes?

And how do you know that people aren't selling their votes to Timoshenko? Again do you claim that such alleged fraud is only committed by one side and not the other?

yes people that left the country also "vote"

That is legal and excepted procedure in many countries, as long as the voter has a passport.

I just hope the best for Ucraine with the elections cos I like the Ucrainian people and I think they suffered enough .

Well they voted and they chose Yanukovich. OSCE and all other observer agencies affirmed the legitimacy of the result and the absence of fraud.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by maloy]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
What a bi***!

Tymoshenko announces election of Yanukovych illegitimate

Ukrainian Prime Minister and presidential candidate Yulia Tymoshenko has announced that the election of Viktor Yanukovych as president was illegitimate.

The second round of elections on February 7 gave Yanukovich 48.95% of the votes, where Tymoshenko garnered 45.47%.

"I want to announce clearly: Yanukovych is not our president, and no matter how things develop further, he will never become the legitimately elected president of Ukraine," Tymoshenko said on her personal website.

"There are possibly more than one million falsified votes, which would give us (Tymoshenko Bloc Party) the win."

Yanukovych received 12.5 million votes; whereas Tymoshenko received approximately 11.5 million.

So I guess the CIA's bit** in Ukraine is about to try again her coup d'etat... I suggest Yanukovich resists with everything he's got.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Actually it looks like Timoshenko is not getting any outside support this time. Every single election observer agency expressed an opinion that the election was fair, and that Yanukovich won. Yanukovich was already congratulated with winning by Obama and most Western leaders. The Ukrainian courts, which overturned his win during the Orange coup, also stated that they have no intention of doing so this time. And even protests won't do her much good, because this time Yanukovich's supporters are gathered in Kiev in mass and are ready for counter protests.

What she is trying to do now, is just to create as much controversy about his win as possible, in hopes of discrediting him and impeding his presidency. She is also trying to stall the political process in Ukraine, by refusing to step down as Prime Minister (as per constitutional procedures) and letting Yanukovich organize a new cabinet. And she is doing this in a critical time for Ukraine, when the President is needed to act quickly to strengthen the economy and keep the country together.

However in doing so she is underestimating the negative impact this will have on her future political career. Many people who voted for her did so not because they like her, but because they see her as lesser of two evils. These are not the types of supporters who will readily rally for her in protests, and likely they will not vote for her in the future. And she will have a hard time forming alliances with other political parties now, because nobody trusts her anymore.

If she keeps this act up, the courts could actually rule that she is in violation of the constitution, and she could face legal action if she doesn't step down as Prime Minister. Knowing her tricks though, she might still have a couple of stunts up her sleeve. Yanukovich needs to be careful but also stand his ground and be decisive.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join