It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Setting up Router

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Ok, I am receiving a wireless internet signal, I am trying to send the internet from my laptop to a router so that the router will re-emit the signal...

I have my wireless set at a shared connection, and have tried connecting the ethernet into both the "Internet" and "USER 1" Port, the internet on the laptop works fine, and I can connect to the router from my desktop...But I can't get the internet working on the desktop...does anyone have ideas that can help?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Maybe this link will help.

www.ehow.com...

This is for 3G and Windows 7

maketecheasier.com...

You need to be able to see the laptop on the network, since this is your share point. Hope this helps.

Troy

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spidermonk
Ok, I am receiving a wireless internet signal, I am trying to send the internet from my laptop to a router so that the router will re-emit the signal...

The traditional way to do this is to plug the cable/dsl into the router, then to any pc's or laptops.

The manufacturer of your router will have a web page that tells you how to set it up and tweak every little feature.

You need to either let the router hand out ip addresses (a feature called DHCP) or use your own scheme. If you haven't messed with the settings, odds are that the pc's will use DHCP and the router defaults to it also.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
This might be the gadget you want.

wirelessnwifi.com...

Troy

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Spidermonk

not sure how your laptop gets the internet but i am going to say 3g but for whatever it is you are going to want to share it using "internet connecting sharing tool" or by making a "bridge"
once the laptop has a bridge or shared network setup then you plug the routers WAN into your laptops network port. At this point the router will get its internet through your laptop. If the router is setup correctly your desktop should be able to get to the web through the router and then the laptop network port, through the magic smoke and out the 3G card into physical space.

This is a poor man wireless router piggie backed onto a normal network. Good for extending networks the distance of wireless and a good use for old laptops and cheap wifi cards.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hey guys, sorry for being gone so long, it took me this long to figure out how to get it all setup right...

So it turns out I needed to setup the laptop at the wifi spot, then share the connection to a crossover cable. After I got the internet onto a second laptop, I used a bridge to send it over an ad hoc network, which my desktop could connect to...Thanks for all the tips, they helped out...

Now I g2g kick some butt on MWF2 =D

top topics

join