It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British government face increasing public resistance to military power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   

British government face increasing public resistance to military power

www.timesonline.co.uk

Britain is growing so risk-averse that the public may no longer tolerate deployment of the military, the Armed Forces Minister said yesterday.

Bill Rammell warned that in an age of mounting public cynicism and rolling 24-hour news, British governments faced increasing resistance to any use of military power.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Well people it seems that the awakening is continuing. If nobody shows up to fight the wars of the "elite" they would not happen, it seems like we are heading that way. More and more people seeing and feeling war isn't any good for anybody. Some friends of mine joint the Dutch army and were in Iraq and Afghanistan. They just aren't the same any more. They wish they never joint the army cause it isn't good for the soul.

With war you don't create peace.

Peace Vincent

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Vincent84

Interesting, even though it says public resistance when has that made any difference in the past? The government do what the hell they want anyway. We were opposed to joining the EU and look what that got us.

We need our troops to be opposed to the pointless fighting not just Joe public. Don't get me wrong I know we shouldn't have been there in the first place, but we have done some good whilst there, I know I'll get the usual 'what? slaughtering millions of Iraqi's' blah blah but we have genuinely done some good.

The problem being we won't just get out and leave them be, we could have flattened the Taliban by now, Britain could have done it on their own. So could the Americans, but by dragging this out trying to secure pipeline contracts and rebuilding contracts all we've ended up doing is making the remainder of the Eastern world hate the West, (except the odd areas where we've actually made a difference) and blown insane amounts of money.

The Taliban have outdated equipment and weaponry and are hiding in caves and neighbouring countries, the US and UK are at the forefront of weapons technology, we have tanks, UAV's, planes, ships, satellite tech and what seems to be a limitless budget for this 'War on terror' and we (you, me, the little people) are honestly expected to believe that it's taken now 9 years to finish off the pockets of resistance that are left?

They must think everyone is sat at home with their face glued to x-factor or pop idol... well it's not everyone, just the idiots. I'm stunned they even got a general consensus from the British public, I'd say 90% of this countries population is made up of fools who are only interested in what's for tea and what's on telly tonight.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Britain needs its military for its defence only, same as any country, but as some have bigger, they think they are better, and simply become bullies, we attacked countries like Iraq, that was an act of war on our and the US part, Iraq were within their rights to attack back, and i fear the same will happen in Iran, we have no right to use our military power to attack anyone, and im glad the British public are finally waking up to it, i honestly thought most of us were in a permanent state of sleep, well it is that way where i come from any way.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Iraq war veteran jailed over 'violent' rap song

An Iraq war veteran has been arrested and charged with threatening to kill his officers after recording a violent rap protest song and sending it to the Pentagon.

Marc Hall, a junior member of an infantry unit, wrote the song in protest at the US army's unpopular policy of involuntarily extending soldiers' service and forcing them to return to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Hall completed a 14-month spell in Iraq last year, expecting to be discharged next month, but was told he would have to go back to Iraq under the policy known as stop-loss.

www.guardian.co.uk...

It's happening all around man!!

That's why they got overpaid merceneries, a very growing industyr i'm sure

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have no problem with war when it can be justified by the standards of my grandfathers. But there are no bombers over our cities dropping death on entire towns, there are no massed invading troops on the beaches of france, there are no missiles heading this way , and most importantly there is no nation at open war with us.
There are disperate terror organisations, who do NOT speak for the majority in the nations they have bases in, but they should be dealt with by the secret service , without massed involvement of troops. For a start, the death toll on the afgan/iraqi side of the war on terror is unacceptable. We moan and whine that some of our soldiers have died , and sure its awful, but its 300 plus UK troops , as opposed to tens of thousands of noncombatant iraqi and afgan people. Thats NON combatant afgans and iraqis. Not "Die in the name of allah , western pig" spraying you down with AK fire, these are just "OH GOD IM GOING TO DIE" total nobodies who arent trying to kill anyone, just trying to live out thier day without carrying a clipfull of lead home in thier rib cage. Our forces kill with intelligent missiles , and unmaned drones, killing at such distance that its almost impossible for them to accurately asses the threat posed by a target, nonetheless the buttons get pushed, and people die, and no one complains when its just some guy , not a terrorist, just a dude and his family working a farm, or protecting thier home and getting atomised for thier trouble.
But we moan and whine a whole lot when our guys get blown up with something some evil venomous scumbag cooked up in his garage, sheep shed or lean to.

top topics

join