It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

O'Brien Rejects NBC Shift. He's Set to Say Good Night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
nytimes.com

NBC may control its airwaves, but apparently it does not control Conan O’Brien.

Less than a week after NBC told him it intended to move his “Tonight Show” to a new time, 12:05 a.m., Mr. O’Brien said he would not agree to what he considered a demotion for the institution of “The Tonight Show” — and his own career — by going along with the network’s plan to push him back a half-hour to make room for his most recent predecessor, Jay Leno.

Mr. O’Brien’s statement Tuesday said that he so respected the institution of “The Tonight Show” that he could not participate in what “I honestly believe is its destruction.”

Pointedly, Mr. O’Brien did not resign or indicate he would not show up for work. But an executive at the network who declined to be identified because of continuing negotiations said that Mr. O’Brien would leave once a financial settlement was reached.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This may be a bad move for Conan. I don't see how pushing the "Tonight Show" back a half hour would really harm him.

Maybe he's got better offers from other networks.

P.S. If Jay Leno is supposed to come on at 11:35, and O'Brien at 12:05, does that mean Leno will only have a half hour? That seems strange.

But then, NBC is often strange.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Conan is the one getting screwed by all of this.

I really hope he moves to ABC or Fox in the same time slot. He's been doing the really late time slot for so many years and finally got his long promised spot doing the Tonight Show and they are screwing him over after less than a year.

I watch Conan's monologue when I can and it always gives me a chuckle or two, plus he's a lot funnier than that idiot Letterman.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
They way I see it, they have to violate Conan's contract to do this, so he's in for a MAJOR payday. In addition, they'll likely work out a non-compete clause for even more money. I'm not worried for Conan, he could lay on a beach all day, and STILL make more in a month than most of us in a lifetime.... :shk:

join