It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israels "Airmule" Medevac hover drone.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

The AirMule (formerly MULE), a single-engine, VTOL Cargo and MedEvac UAS developed by Urban Aeronautics, Ltd, has successfully completed the first phase of its flight testing. This phase has consisted of autonomous hovers with the vehicle’s Fly-By-Wire control system providing the necessary auto-stabilization in all three rotational axes of the vehicle (Pitch, Roll and Yaw).
Control of the vehicle is accomplished through a company developed, four channel, redundant flight control system that relies almost entirely on inertial measurements augmented by GPS for translational position and velocity readings. Height above ground is measured by two laser altimeters. 460 channels of telemetry provide real-time data to the ground based operators, enabling them to monitor the correct operation of the Turbomeca Arriel1 730 horsepower turbo-shaft engine as well as sub-systems. These include the three company developed gearboxes, the two main lift rotors with their hydraulic pitch change mechanism and three uplink and downlink communication channels.

www.urbanaero.com...

Looks pretty sci fi doesn't it?
The same company are also working on an 8 man version,the X Hawk:

I really hope this company gets to the point where they can sell these vehicles worldwide.Maybe the worlds militaries will find a use for them,but I hope the technology becomes widespread and is one day used as personal transport.
Have a look at the web page,there is lots of information about the vehicles.

www.urbanaero.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
How would this technology be useful for defensive operations?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Getting the injured out of harmsway quickly is always a bonus for morale and the well being of the armed forces

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
How would this technology be useful for defensive operations?

I guess they could mount a 50cal or two on them.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Pretty decent design. S&F
. The moment you add weaponery to that medvac UAV you make it a serious target. Leave the guns off and replace the weight with armor and engines. Don't know about you but I don't want my UAV medvacing me only then to turn and engage an enemy. Just get me the hell out of there.

new topics

top topics

join