It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am Not A Spelling Nazi...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
BUT Signals hereby pledges not to post on any thread that has a misspelling in the TITLE. I will try this experiment for 30 days. It is driving me crazy, come on. We all make mistakes, but not proof reading the title?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Quality before quantity. That would seem like a kindness to apply to others, Who would share the same construction of a wonderful mind. Even Heinrich Himmler carried a copy of the Bhagavad Gita to quote.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I would join you but it would leave me nowhere to post. I remember a whinge thread last year about spelling in which it was pointed out to the OP that there were five mistakes (including grammar) in the title.

Do these people have no shame?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

My thread titles usually have some spelling problems, then again I try to give them such exotic titles that I forget about spelling.:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Hay man, waht abot thoose with speling mastakes in the replys?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I won't read a thread that has all caps or has the words must read or omg in it...I HATE that crap!!
I agree...to not even re-read your post and title before hitting the submit button is just lazy.
Its like their brains are out in the fields picking dew worms while the rest of their carcass sits at the computer.

Being the devil's advocate I also want to point out that not everybody's first language is English so sometimes we have to cut them a break.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by Signals

Hay man, waht abot thoose with speling mastakes in the replys?

Hey I'm all good with that
Maybe to my downfall the title has alot to do with whether I even read a thread or not....not a spelling nazi!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Does this mean that you are automatically ignoring some of our wonderful posters who's native language is not english.

Hmmmm, wanna rethink this, or will you stick with your linguistic bias?

It's a big world out there, why not be part of it my deer frend?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Hey I'm all good with that
Maybe to my downfall the title has alot to do with whether I even read a thread or not....not a spelling nazi!

It has alot to do with it?

So if you started a thread titled "Alot of people need to hear this message" then you would actually ignore your own thread?

It's a lot.
Not Alot. No such word as alot.

"Those in glass houses, Shouldn't throw stones"

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The sad problem is, spell check does not work in the title bar. And I hate that! I need spell check, it's the only thing that helps me not look like a complete and total idiot. (I do well enough on my own looking like an idiot without spelling mistakes)

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Spell check is not the end all,be all. Some words that are correctly spelled is shown to be wrong in spell check. Here is a good example of spell ckecker's flaw.

The word "stupider" is not a word but spell check says that it is ok. But "ok" shows up as being wrong. Go figure.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

from the Urban Dictionary-

The CORRECT form of the term meaning "a large amount" of something. "A lot" (as 2 words) means "a large empty piece of land" as in "a lot for used cars." "I have alot of friends" means "I have a large number of friends," whereas "I have a lot of friends" means that your buddies are outside standing around in a big empty piece of land, looking like idiots!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
LOL! I agree- in titles, typos and grammatical errors make me cringe.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11e79ad32fcd.jpg[/atsimg]

Although I'd never stoop to the point of making fun of anyone for it or pointing it out publicly in the thread, it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Its not so bad when someone has obviously just missed a letter out of a word, but it annoys me when the word is just completely spelt wrong.

Oh and NEVER trust spell-check. In my first year of uni we got that hammered into us because spell check always seems to favour american spellings of certain words instead of UK one's.
Ive always found google to be more reliable when checking if a word is spelt correctly or not.

top topics

join