It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army budget cuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Some members of the military are worried money will be pulled from programs that help spouses and children cope with soldiers' repeated tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Lt. Gen. Rick Lynch, who as head of the Army's Installation Management Command is in charge of the budget for bases, said in a recent commentary distributed to Army post newspapers that the service has enjoyed unprecedented levels of funding in the past years, but that can't continue.

"As the country faces some stiff economic challenges, we are forced to reduce funding and exact a greater level of stewardship over our resources," Lynch said. Starting this year, "performance levels for some installation services will be notably less than we've had in recent years and will remain at that level for the foreseeable future."

Army posts provide many of the services that soldiers and their families have come to rely on, including child and youth programs, continuing education, dining and recreational facilities and help with overcoming drug and alcohol abuse.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
so more work... less benefits. The programs that Army offers to help families are very good. I hate to see them vanish.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zz0409

When I was in (2001-2007) I nor my famliy ever used any of those programs, They were to damn hard to get. I asked to borrow 700 dollars for a flight home for my Grandfathers funeral and I was told I made to much money ( I was a PV2) And things like the food store and MWR are succsefully because the Soldiers, Airmen, Jar-Heads, and Navy personnel donate or support them heavily...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I don't use all programs either.. Like family readiness (however it is all volunteer) but alot of spouses do. I do use the gyms daily. paintball rockclimbing, hunting, bowling.. these are available for small fees and are used alot.

I don't live on post, so doesn't bother me about mowing or trash pickup...

I just think it sucks to take away from soldiers when they are being asked more than ever.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Take the money from entitlements. Hell, we waste so much on illegals as well as those that don't want to work it's not even funny. Give it to the troops, as well as their families, they deserve it sooooo much more. It's a shame that this country will support everyone who comes here, and not the very people who defend this great country.

join