It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are conspiracy theorists easily directed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I was just thinking about two major conspiracies over the last 10 years. One of them being the 9-11 truth movement. I would wager that a lot of the people that were involved in 9-11 truth eventually became Democrats or registered in some leftist party(I still question the official story of 9-11, and, at the time of the 2008 election I registered as a Democrat).

Right now with the global warming movement we're seeing a similar conspiracy which followers are mostly part of the Republican party or the conservative movement. Of course, there are the exceptions with people who are don't believe in the true story of 9-11 or don't believe in global warming-- these people just will believe any conspiracy along partisan line, or so it seems). I predict that many of these people will be voting Republican or for a conservative party in the 2010 and 2012 elections.

I just wanted to propose this idea... because this is one of the reasons I've stopped taking the conspiracy approach to reality. I have my own views... but I am not a sheep. I look for what's real, and, if it's a conspiracy I'll analyze the truth about it, and believe what I believe to be the truth. But I think that there are conspiracy theorists that can be far too easily manipulated among partisan lines-- for instance, I think the death panel people were probably the same people as the birthers, and, maybe the same people who hijacked the 9-11 truth movement. Essentially, I think that a lot of these conspiracy theories may start out as genuine conspiracies, but they become hijacked, or they become directed by the people at top.

That's what I think. It's true that Alex Jones is right about Anti-global warming theories not being perpetrated by the oil companies-- that's still what a lot of the people in the Republican parties believe, so, this is another situation where I think that conspiracy theorists are directed. Yes, we're going to be experiencing ecotyranny if these environmentalists get even more power-- that's true, but, it doesn't mean that global warming is a conspiracy theory, it's just a theory, but conservatives want you to believe it's a fraud so we can just pollute more.

I think that people are really easily directed, and, want to just believe any thing that might be anti-establishment even if it's false or partisan. It's best to keep an open mind-- and look for the truth yourself, and be weary of conspiracy theories, and those who perpetrate them. The truth is hidden beneath many conspiracy theories... and it's in there... but I just think that sometimes the truth gets meddled with and distorted. Like for instance, Al Gore may be an NWO front man, but, he probably honestly believes what he's saying. He was talking about global warming way back in the 70s before he became one of the elites. I think that should prove that his theory isn't necessarily a fraud... it's just a theory.

What do you think? Do you disagree? I'd like to hear what people here on this site have to say about my ideas.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I agree with what your saying. I used to believe in all these conspiracies and kind of let them "control" my life. The very thing I am opposed to (control). Sure, not everything is what it seems, but to say the elite are some reptillian race from another dimension, yada yada yada. I'm not dismissing the idea, as I keep an open mind, but really? A lot of these conspiracies have a lot of hot air in them and draw a lot of bridges to make the ends meet.

Now I just go with the flow. Find something you enjoy and do it. By bringing yourself happiness, you bring the world happiness. Practice random acts of kindness and wa la. That's how you change the world. Stop all the worry about the next pandemic, next vaccine, next plot to take over the world and do what it is that makes you happy.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by doped00

I'm not saying that all conspiracy theories are false. That's not at all what I'm saying. In fact, I believe there is a lot of truth to the conspiracy theory about the people who control the world. But what I'm asking is... these people who we see in the forefront of the public debate who are getting the most attention who are believing these perpetrated theories by major media outlets... they've basically bought up establishment smear propaganda campaigns about other political parties. So for instance, the Democrats are in charge now, so people are buying the Republican perpetrated conspiracy theories and they're more likely to ally themselves with the Republican party, since the Democrats are at the top.

People still don't see that all the political parties that have power are corrupt. They still don't see that the major political parties face the same problems as one another. But they'd rather believe the conspiracy theories perpetrated by the members of their own political party (like the birthers who claim that Obama isn't a foreign President-- the people who perpetrated that theory were mostly Republicans, and now the people who believe that theory have been co-opted by the Republican party).

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Yeah, I see what your saying. And I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't believe in conspiracy theories. There is a lot of truth to them and in my opinion, also a lot of false truth. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that the "truth", that we all so persistently seek, will be something very different than what we could speculate or imagine.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Yes.

Conspiracy theorists (especially ones new to the game) are the easiest people in the world to mislead, lead like cattle, and distract.

They are doing it massively throughout many fronts of media right now.

Keep watching.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I remember back in the early 1990s when I bought a small am/fm/weather/shortwave band radio for camping. I finally played with the shortwave channels and picked up stations with shows warning of the NWO, the Satanic influence in our government, imminent gun bans and the whole conspiracy genre...I was mortified. LOL
For about a year I was really afraid that Clinton and the NWO/AntiChrist were about to take my guns. Oneday, I finally decided to live my life without fear and...BAM. Life is good.
Now thats not to say that there are not legitimate theories and ideas out there, but for the most part...I think most of these things are the result of well intentioned, BUT misguided individuals in powerful positions doing things and stupidly not seeing the long range after effects.
Most people that live in fear of conspiracy theories remind me of that Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner and his girl friend in the diner, feeding quarters into the little prophesying devil... almost trapped by it's dubious predictions. They finally leave, but then there was another couple trapped there for years.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Most people that live in fear of conspiracy theories remind me of that Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner and his girl friend in the diner, feeding quarters into the little prophesying devil... almost trapped by it's dubious predictions. They finally leave, but then there was another couple trapped there for years.

Amazing reference.

Even more so now that it makes me look at that episode and see it was "intended" to mean "just what you refer it to".

Good call and "so true".

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

That's exactly what I was saying. Thank you. The media is involved in getting the people who are so sick and tired of the people on the top (the ruling political party) so they will just get mad at them no matter what. The media elite then align these people with the other political party... or the ruling elite media will try to mock and make fun of the opposition party... keeping their base in check. Then, people from outside of the media are also perpetrating these theories... and they get in the media and it becomes a partisan game and people fall for it. Also, these other people who are posting in this topic are posting off topic... I know that you shouldn't take conspiracy theories too seriously over what you believe... but I was just asking if conspiracy theorists can be directed very easily even if they say they can't-- which I believe they can be.

new topics

top topics

join