It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reuters uses the expression "way bogus" in serious news release

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I hearby launch a rant at Reuters for a unacceptable abuse of the English language in a given context. If some blogger or essayist uses "way bogus" to talk about finance in a snappy way, it might be different. But this is freaking REUTERS for crying out loud!

I dunno...maybe they will have changed it by the time you click on this...I've seen Reuters and AP pull that one before...but as as of this writing, a financial news release contains the following:

"Under a Ponzi scheme, early investors are conned by way bogus returns paid with money from subsequent victims, with the plan's perpetrators pocketing the cash as the fraud collapses."

source:

ca.news.finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Whoa, like dude, that is a way bogus and totally gnarly. It's like pshaw! Totally not righteous use of verbiage dude!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

That's too darn funny. My favorite part is that both the writing and editing are separately credited by name! ("(Writing by Allan Dowd; editing by Rob Wilson)"). They should both be ashamed of themselves!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Could have been worse:

"Whoa, like under a Ponzi scheme (totally not a Fonzie scheme), early investors are like conned by way bogus returns paid with mondo money from like subsequent victims and stuff, man, and like, with the plan's perpetrators like pocketing the cash and junk as the fraud totally collapses like a tasty wave."

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'm hoping they made a typo and forgot an 'of';

Under a Ponzi scheme, early investors are conned by way of bogus returns paid with money from subsequent victims, with the plan's perpetrators pocketing the cash as the fraud collapses.

But still, haha on them!

new topics

top topics

join