It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.5 Earthquake Hits Northern Calif.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Magnitude 6.5 Earthquake Hits Northern Calif.

www.kcci.com

FERNDALE, Calif. -- A preliminary magnitude 6.5 earthquake hit in the waters off northern California Saturday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake's epicenter was about 10.2 miles deep about 22 miles west-northwest of Ferndale, the survey said.

The quake happened at 4:27 p.m. PST.

It was not known if the quake had caused any damage or injuries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I hope this isn't a sign of bigger things to come. A 6.5 is pretty big, but I get the feeling "northern" California is not heavily populated. If something like hit LA, it would be bad.

Does anyone know how long it will take before we know about casualties? It seems like this is news is slow to be reported.

www.kcci.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
According to Wikipedia, Southern California has a population of 22,422,614, so if you take that away from the overall population of 36,756,666, you get 11,334,052 (going by 2000 figures), so it would still be a big deal compared overall. I hope this earthquake isn't a warning for something bigger.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Already posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I found a few documents from FEMA regarding Earthquake drills. For 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Check them out here:
ATS Thread

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
that's southern calif, can the mods fix the title of this thread?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Could be a good thing as long as there's not too much damage as it'll release some pressure from the fault line lessening the magnitude of any further quakes in the area. I think it's better to have a bunch of smallish quakes releasing that pressure over time than one huge one releasing it all in one go.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Not to sound rude, but when I accidentally post a duplicate, it is moved, or deleted fast, but when someone else does one of me, it sits there forever. I posted the exact thing, in the same exact place. Mine got moved to the fragile earth section. This one is just staying here.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net...

This was taken today in Pismo Beach, Ca. before the quake

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
If you ask me they just had a 7.5 . So stupid lowering all earthquakes
a full point. I just won't let that fly.

Chris mcgee

Could be a good thing as long as there's not too much damage as it'll release some pressure from the fault line lessening the magnitude of any further quakes in the area. I think it's better to have a bunch of smallish quakes releasing that pressure over time than one huge one releasing it all in one go.

This may or may not be the case friend.
The way everything is going with the ring, this is more likely the beginning.
[edit on 9-1-2010 by randyvs]

[edit on 9-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is going to sound really bizarre but there was a series of low rumblings here in Miami, Florida.

Definitely not Jet Aircraft and definitely not a surface explosion, but a series of about 15 second audible rumbles spaced by about 30 seconds, and about 10 of them all in all.

What ever it was, it was something.

When I went out shortly afterwards to go to the store riding my bicycle I noticed that the pavement on the road I normally take had some long hairline cracks in it, some as long as 15 feet, they weren’t there yesterday and I do believe they looked fresh and might have been related to the rumbling noise I heard.

It’s most strange.

I lived in California for over a decade and have been through a number of Earthquakes up to 7.0 on the Richter scale, it definitely didn’t feel like an Earthquake but it looks to me like something significant was taking place under ground all the same.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I think our media is run by satanic forces. They always make their headlines
sound/read as if everything is a disaster.

A 6.5 earthquake miles offshore and miles under the ocean floor is NOT striking
California at that magnitude.

One of the good things that can happen to improve the human condition would be
for the media industry to be more accurate in their headlines.
-cwm

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Perhaps one of those giant sink-holes are forming in your vicinity.
Miami has been unusually cool over recent days. There might be a
cause-effect that's weather connected? Please let us know if you
learn what the cause is/was.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I'm just south of Los Angeles and I swear there wasn't ONE WORD of this on our news!! Yet a Des Moines Iowa newscast reports it! How weird is THAT??!

And freetree64 that's what it looked like HERE tonight....I was
noticing how the sky/clouds/light looked somehow odd, even asked my
roomie if there'd been anything about the weather on the news!
Also notice how MANY quakes there have actually been recently here!
Recent & Felt Quakes

[edit on 1/9/2010 by SmokeyDawn]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

Will do my friend, it's been the coldest in the last few days than it has been in the 14 years I have lived here...

HEEELLLLPPPP!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Come back to CA...been in high 70's here past week!!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyDawn

Come back to CA...been in high 70's here past week!!

Ah to be young again! Seasons and reasons, it's a curse!

Unfortunately I refuse to fly because I won't put myself through the War on Terror dehumanizing security measures.

Besides there are Earthquakes out there !

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
I think our media is run by satanic forces. They always make their headlines
sound/read as if everything is a disaster.

A 6.5 earthquake miles offshore and miles under the ocean floor is NOT striking
California at that magnitude.

One of the good things that can happen to improve the human condition would be
for the media industry to be more accurate in their headlines.
-cwm

Actually it did strike CA and there are pictures to prove it. Maybe it didn't do damage in LA but the people of eureka might argue with you.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

Excuse me, but I must scoff at your reply. *Scoff, scoff, chortle*
Ok, now then, let me tell you a thing or two about this earthquake. It was a big one and unlike any other earthquake I have ever felt. Seeing as I live only 30 or so miles from the epicenter of the quake I had one hell of a ride.

Here's a breakdown of my experience yesterday: I'm sitting at my computer in my bedroom and I hear an unusually loud bang and thump, like someone slamming a door and rattling the whole house, or someone stomping around on the roof. I looked up, startled, and then BAM! It felt like the house jumped off it's foundation and then felt like the house was being shaken vigorously like a child trying to identify a mysterious present by shaking it. This lasted for about 30 seconds, which felt waay longer, and then for another minute the ground was slowly rolling under my feet. Luckily no damage to the house, nothing fell either, we are safe and sound.

I'll give links to a local newspaper, there was a lot of damage to stores in Eureka and Ferndale but not much elsewhere, these were the closest cities to the quake. A couple buildings in Eureka had large cracks running through them, there was a lot of damage to the local mall. Eureka has pretty old infrastructure, especially in Old Town near the bay. The city is quite dilapidated in my opinion, and I have lived here my whole life.

The thing that scares me is recently (maybe a year ago?) a business was closed down on the waterfront, namely Eureka Ice. It was forced closed due to many safety violations including buildings falling apart, old piping and refrigeration and storage, and illegal disposal. Keep in mind this is a company with thousands of gallons of anhydrous ammonia, which in gas form I believe is fatal? I know at least it is very bad for the health and lungs and this company was literally dumping gallons and gallons of this stuff into the storm drains and sewers.

I do believe that one of the main reasons for the closure of the facility was that it was not retrofitted for earthquake protection, the place would have collapsed had this earthquake happened while it was still around, and that would have released poisonous gases into the city and caused a major catastrophe. Eureka Ice fiasco Please feel free to do a tad bit more research on this, to truly understand how close to being waist deep in s#!t we really were.

Here's our local (Humboldt county) newspaper: Times-Standard . The headlines appear to show a preliminary damage estimate of $12.5 million, with only one major injury. At least, in Eureka that is.

We are most unfortunate to sit right at a triple junction of fault lines, where the San Andreas ends and comes together with the Pacific and Gorda plates. A very active region, seismically. USGS Mendecino Triple Junction

Well, cheery days to all from Humboldt County, the North Coast, home of the Redwoods and big quakes

NEXUS

[edited to add link to Eureka Ice story]

[edit on 10-1-2010 by NoEXcUseS]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
3.6 northern california, then 6 minutes later, 4.2. awesome! and Sad!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join