It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Gas Supply Shortage news and updates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Just another news and updates thread, this time for the gas supply in the UK due to the cold weather.

7:51pm UK, Thursday January 07, 2010

Rob Cole, Sky News Online
The National Grid says the gas market has been quick to respond after it issued its second alert in three days - as demand hits record levels in the freezing weather.
news.sky.com... 001115516392?lpos=Business_First_Buisness_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15516392_Big_Freeze_Weather%3A__National_Grid_Issues_Second_Gas_Balancin g_Alert_Following_Pipeline_Disruption

www.timesonline.co.uk...
4.38pm The Conservatives say we really should be worried about potentially catastrophic gas shortages - after an unprecedented week of supply alerts.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
Factories and power stations have started to have their gas turned off as Britain begins to run out amid the prolonged Arctic weather conditions.

Feel free to post your links and keep fellow atsers from around the world about the UK situation

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Have not got any new links but yesterday i read that we have about 6 days of gas left.Not good really.Whether that is accurate or scaremongering.

Found it,
telegraph newspaper.
Britain has eight days of gas left

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is a stark contrast to all of the light-hearted winter wonderland threads with pictures of cute snowmen.

Are there still plenty of people with fireplaces or have they outlawed them like they have here in San Francisco Bay area?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Deny Arrogance

I liked the thread with the snowmen mine is in there back on topic yes it has been in the news today about this and it is worrying had the heating on a lot its so cold at night and its going to get colder in week.
On the up side got a check for twenty pounds off British gas for been a loyal customer not a lot but better than nothing.

THANKYOU

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I have a gas fire built into the fireplace but i bet they will outlaw them when everyone pulls their gas fire from them.
I think that there may be laws restricting use but if enforced i really could not say.There were laws regarding bonfires only at certain times but i was told that they had changed.
reply to post by mars1
You got yours?I haven`t had mine yet.Are you price fixed till 2012?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by tracey ace]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

What do mean you can`t have a fireplace? They are outlawed in San Francisco? I have never heard of such a thing in my life. What is the reasoning behind that?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Iamherefornow]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

There are still plenty of homes with open fires or stoves, though some areas have a controlled smoke policy, so governs what can be burnt.

There are a lot of homes with just gas fired central heating though..if the gas runs out, these are gonna feel it the most. They can use electric heaters though, so it's not all bad news...unless the power stations shut up shop for winter too..then they'll be in trouble.

It's incredible to me, that a G8 country, could be so ineffectual in the face of a little cold weather! It's pathetic. Way back as a boy scout, i was told to always be prepared...our 'organisers' could do worse than to remember that line and think ahead a little more.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This Thread is a scare story. The National grid has simply asked its suppliers for more Gas - which will be supplied. The fireplace issue in San francisco is a local policy against smog. Thats all.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Thank god i have my eletric fireplace XD
and em
pyromanic tendancies xD

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Circle

Thank You I never thought about that. We don`t have the smog problem here yet but I am sure its coming.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

"spare the air" - air pollution control

Fireplaces are prohibited in any new construction and incentives are offered to residences who have fireplaces to remove them.

If you have a fireplace you have to check first to see if it is a "spare the air day".

If you burn a fire on a "spare the air day" you are subject to fine or arrest.

The only two spare the air days declared so far this winter happened to fall on Thanksgiving and Christmas, oddly enough.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Circle

I hope you are right about this being a scare story, wouldn't surprise me.

Have the corporate opportunists jacked up the prices yet?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I ma in Ohio and right now we are at about 5 inches of snow and it still coming down. They are expecting wind chills of up - 10 below soon so I am sure many here are putting logs in the ole fireplace and praying the power does not go out.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It makes common sense to not be totally dependant on any one heating supply source in extreme weather conditions.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamherefornow

I ma in Ohio and right now we are at about 5 inches of snow and it still coming down. They are expecting wind chills of up - 10 below soon so I am sure many here are putting logs in the ole fireplace and praying the power does not go out.

Only -10 windchill? It's -20 where I live, and 7 inches of snow.

top topics

join