It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival a Global Meltdown and Complete Anarchy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Current situation with absolutely NO notice, and you have to “bug” out IMMEDIATELY because of various reasons:

- Perhaps martial law has recently been declared and the government is taking people to FEMA camps against their constitutional rights.

- Perhaps a deadly super virus has spread throughout society, H1N1 has mutated into a much more lethal strain, and the government is beginning to initiate massive quarantines and forced vaccinations.

- Perhaps the government is after you for various reasons or you are a “revolutionary” with ideals against theirs. Maybe you poked your nose too deep down the rabbit hole, uncovered some highly classified information, and they have deemed you a “threat” and are now after you.

Whatever your reason would be, think about this:

What would be the immediate possessions, supplies, equipment that you would take with you and why, given absolutely no notice? You don’t have time to go to the store and stock up, this should only include items that you current have in your possession or own.

Where would you go? What would you do? And who would you take with you?

Why is this practical and valuable given the current situation to be prepared for this? Is this not at all possible that something of this nature could very well occur within our near future? How much more prepared would you be for such a situation, if you have taken the time to prepare and really think about these scenarios?

I would love to see what other members would specifically take and do, I feel like this can be a very powerful brainstorming list that can collectively improve our survival chances given one of the above situations.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Once the “system” failed the last thing you would want to do is travel. There are not very many people who could realistically survive once stores ran out of supplies much less handle survival on the run. A break down in the system would immediately take you back to the 1800’s. You would need to find your own food, water, shelter, clothing and other basic needs for survival. A human’s basic need is more than he can carry unless you have survival skills and even this wont work as a long term solution. And really, how realistic is that for most people. If you can’t survive today on your own and without help from someone else you shouldn’t expect to suddenly have the knowledge and skill to do it after an incident.

You should already be prepared to shelter in place and should have enough water, food and other supplies to get you by as long as possible. You should have at least basic medical supplies and antibiotics would come in handy if you got sick. A small cut can kill you in a world without hospitals. Guns and ammo are a must if you want to keep what you have. Maps, simple transportation and a back up plan would come in handy if you did need to move.

That should get you started.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Okay, Im by far not one of those paranoid types with a bug-out-bag packed. But I do have a hiking bag that has essentials in it, at all times.

I enjoy hiking, and backcountry camping.

So if all hell breaks loose....

Stuff to take/grab:
My fiance'

Packs- Contents as of right now.
- Small First aid kit
-Knife
-2 MREs
-Flare
-Rope
-Multi tool
-Socks
-Magnesium stick
-water filter bottle
-Pocket Atlas

Thats just stuff that I keep in there. I repack after every trip. It's not going to go bad, and that way it's ready when we go hiking.

I would grab my(if possible):
-Waterproof jacket/pants
-Fleece
-Hat
-Scarf
-Boots
-Gun

I would go to:
-Colorado
-Canada
-The Appalachians
-Alaska

All wilderness areas. The city will be the last place you want to be. Also, if there are people after you, the wilderness is the best place to be.

No one is going to follow you 30 miles into dense forrest if they are not trained for it. If they do, chances are they are going to die.
I know where to camp to avoid bears, do they?
I know what is edible, and what's not...do they?
I know where to get water, do they?
I know that mountains often hide storm clouds, do they?

Forget your GPS. If you have a watch, and can see the sun, you can figure out which way is which. Forget all of your gadgets, you dont know how long they are going to work. Maybe a radio, to keep up with events if they are still being broadcasted.

I would suggest grabbing medication you might be on, if you need it. Im not on any, but its something I just thought about.

Thats all I could think of, I guess I would be Ok.

Actually, could this go ahead and happen?? It would be like being on vacation everyday!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If the world goes coco for coco puffs,

I am getting an AK-47 or AK-74 (has better range)
Double Barreled Shotgun
Ammo
Magnesium Flint stick(s) (A BIG ONE)
Water
Shoes
Clothing

And go to somewhere un-populated

BEST IDEA

BEAT THE SYSTEM

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Don't use the word Anarchy to describe chaos.

The word means without a master, or no ruler. (many variations of the same words)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I see some very sensible comments here so far, exactly what
I expected from ATS members being the smart cookies they
are. Liveandletlive pretty much nailed it - have adequate supplies
to survive at home for a few months and a bug out bag if you
cannot
stay.
This thread is a bit of a repeat in ways but I think the vast
number of possibilities for reasons and outcomes justifies a few
more.

I would take: My wife, all the cash I have and I am honestly
undecided about weapons. Both would carry pistols 9mm for her,
.45 for me. I would probably give her the ruger 10/22 for hunting
small game and I would haul either my AK47 or Mini 14 (.223 cal).
Each has their advantages and in the end I'll probably grab the lighter
of the 2. Moi=lazy

Weight is a major issue and you'll want to go as light as you can if
you plan to have to walk very much (despite your best plans you
may end up walking more than you imagine)

My complete B.O.B contents are covered in this thread if you're interested -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since then I have upgraded both my pistol (glock 36) and water
filter (katadyn).

Aside from having the items you need you will also want to practice
survival skills such as foraging, firemaking, shooting, trapping,
shelter building, first aid etc.
The only other suggestion I would have is get in the best possible
shape you can physically and take care of any dental/eye work you
need done.
I'm looking forward to see what other responses you will get.

Forgot to add I might also pack my take down bow and 2 dozens arrows with extra strings, heads and fletching.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I think it describes the situation perfect.... and it is in PERFECT context. Perhaps you should check the dictionary again if you disagree...

Merriam-Webster DICTIONARY

1 a : absence of government b : a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority c : a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government

2 a : absence or denial of any authority or established order b : absence of order : disorder

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Just watch the history channel tonight around 7pm as its Armageddon week and they are going over all of this stuff.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Are you people for real !!?

Sorry mods one line post!!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I don't understand where people think they'd go if they bugged out, and what they'd do once they got there.

I grow a garden each year, and let me tell you: if your plan is to "grow your own", you'll probably starve to death. It takes at least two years to bring a garden into production from a standing start. You have to learn the soil, the bugs, the temperatures, and the raiders, and the only way is the hard way. Hard enough to do with the luxury of not depending on it. Foraging consumes an enormous amount of time and energy, especially when working unfamiliar territory. Hunting with also be inefficient, especially when it comes to dressing and curing the meat. Trying it with ill or elderly would pretty much guarantee death. And any food source is already being used by the critters who already live there, mostly in equilibrium. For the slow, that means there isn't much excess food for you to forage, and you have only a near-the-top place on the food chain.

So in-place is the only reasonable option.

Given that, the best course is to create order out of chaos by contacting your neighbors and offering to share resources with them. Be prepared to outline a plan of action to protect each other and begin a communal garden. By "communal" I don't necessarily mean all located in one spot, but rather each plot is worked communally.

Establish a council to make and enforce group decisions.

In other words, exert leadership.

That's my plan, anyway.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I am saying worst case scenario.... Just for the serious survivalist, cause this stuff can definitely happen. And I believe it is better to be prepared and know such skills, then get caught in a time of crises without the knowledge. Really the location is the only defining factor.

I live in Colorado, and happen to know plenty of places I could be complete secluded from people for miles with plenty of resources and natural wild life that I could survive off of indefinitely for. Its all about getting in touch with your 'roots' in a sense. For example how Native American's used to live off the land. Now not gonna get all crazy here, but it is not that hard so long as you have the skills and understand this.

Ya its gonna be a little rough, but if you have a group of people you could absolutely live off of the land. And delegate responsibilities in sense of creating a small society. Just have the right supplies, equipment and group of people is all.... That far off into seclusion, and you are perfect safe from the outside world.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

I live in SoCal, in a foothills area, near enough to wild lands that I wouldn't have to go far, if I did leave.

But here, I already have a productive garden, and am digging a well. I have several canyons nearby that can be hunted for birds using an anti-bird garden net. I've got a chicken coop I'm rebuilding, and my neighbor has chickens(bonus: he's a right-wing gun enthusiast with a full gunsafe).

So how could going elsewhere improve my chances?

Add in a disabled brother and it's certainly bug-in for me.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

I agree with you, all of the sudden we cant live off the land? Whats going on with all of these people, xX aFTeRm4Th Xx?

We are essentially animals. We have instincts. If anyone on this thread has ever been on a survival trip before, you know you can live off the land. For short periods, and long ones.
If you havent, then try it sometime. Read up on everything you possibly can about plants and animals indigenous to the area that you plan on going to. Learn about what you can use, to build shelter. How to make a fire without caching everything around you on fire.
I like hiking with a tent, but if I dont have one, I know what to do.

Learn what kinds of bugs inhabit the area. Those are edible too.

There are things in the wild that can be used for first aid: Aloe for burns and laxative, Arnica for anti-inflammatory, Cayenne stops bleeding, Garlic when ingested keeps bugs away.
It depends on what is in your area. Those are just the common ones.

You would be amazed at how smart and handy you can be when you are very hungry, or very cold. You will also learn what it is like to FOCUS. Without everyday life.... how your hair looks... or your job....
If all you are worrying about is making it another day, you will surprise yourself.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well for the family bug out I have the other covered

I live in the western US.... Wildfire country... we take a possible bug out as daily life... by my front door sits a big 5 gallon bucket... that use to be part of my bug out stuff...

In that bucket live
1 hand crank flashlight radio
1 huge first aid kit
1 Utility Knife
1 Roll of Duct Tape
1 each gas and water shutoff tools
2 rolls bailing wire
1 Solar Camp Shower - 5 Gallon (Doubles as water bucket)
4 large plastic paint drop clothes.
T-5 Chemical Disinfectant
box of bucket liners
a few rolls of TP
and lastly a toilet seat that fits over the bucket

The ladies in my family refuse to squat in the bushes so the drop clothes are great for temp walls to setup an anywhere makeshift bathroom

those water and gas shut off tools I also have my own Spigot handles...

As I said that used to be.. Now we own a small 4X4 motor home...

[edit on 7-1-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Oh just one thing about your places to go list...
I live in NM have lived and worked in the Rocky Mountains most of my life...
Albuquerque the city I live in sits at 5,000 feet above sea level Denver AKA the mile high city does too... you'll find most of this part of the country will give you high altitude sickness when you fist get here... takes days to accumulate... the flip side... when I go to the farm out in Kansas 900 feet sea level... I dont feel good for a couple days...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Definitely agree, if you expect to go up in altitude plan to acclimatize... The higher you live right now the better. Your body produces more red blood cells so you can get more oxygen to your muscles. And at lower sea levels, you will be able to perform much better. Exactly why Olympic athletes train at high altitudes and have O2 chambers.

Regardless tho, I would go straight into the mountains. Probably somewhere in the Rocky's where it snows. I feel very confident surviving in that type of atmosphere... and I know it would be hard for people to find/track you in the middle of the Rockies in such a harsh, and cold environment.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I would take my 2 bags, one is a large hunting butt pack, the other is a Camelbak. I dont consider it a BOB but it is in my closet for when I take my hiking/camping trips in the mountains several times a month:

- Bowie knife
- Bayonet(from the korean war, its an heirloom and good luck item)
- 90 pc First aid kit
- Swedish Firesteel & magnesium
- Small plastic bag of cotton balls/tinder
- Iodine tablets
- Small pot for cooking & small fork
- Jerky
- Paracord
- Spices
- Slingshot, 1/8'' steel shot, and a spare sling band.
- Walking stick (used for fighting, I train in Hanbojutsu)

These are the essentials that I never forget. Usually I bring a camping hammock and tarp, but I wouldnt risk having that seen If I was on the run. I know the Appalachian Mtns pretty well, and I would thrive in the thick of those forests (hopefully) undetected.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Tanulis

You know how dense it can get when you venture outside of the trail-blazes. Heck, on alot of the APT, if you venture more than 80 yards from the trail, your in nowhere land.

Who would follow you into that kind of mess?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Exactly, unless for some reason you were being pursued...

But then again, I would want to be in an area of guaranteed seclusion, miles from anybody else. Just to reduce that chance of some random person, randomly stumbling across you.

However, if my intent was to ensure safety by secluding myself completely from society, I would take the appropriate measures. No half-a**ing anything

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Yea Im glad you know what Im talking about. In the summer especially, the bush gets SUPER THICK even on the trail itself, let alone off the path. No one in their right mind would try to find you in that, theyd have to scout with many dogs for days and aerial search teams, but who would waste that much resources/time on 1 person? lol. They would probably assume I would die from the elements within a few weeks anyway, theyd have no way of knowing I could survive in a harsh scenario.(hopefully, lol)

edit: Its not a harsh place to survive in the summer, I guess I was assuming it would be winter since Its winter now. *facepalm* lol

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Tanulis]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join