It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

amazing sundogs, please look!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Hi all i took this picture outside of my house this morning, the weather conditions were terrible, 40mph wind, -40 degree below zero windchill and about 24 inches of snow on ground

this was taken in Omaha, Nebraska, USA

enjoy

i841.photobucket.com...

[edit on 7-1-2010 by l neXus l]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
IOt's a halo. I saw a similar thing with the moon a few weeks back and googled it. Has to do with the ice crystals in the air.

Lovely picture though.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
yeah i wasnt sure what it was, the quality isnt that great i took it on my phone wich only has 5MP i wish i had my 50D!!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
These are so cool! I think they are called sun dogs

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
that cant be -40 F? Your talking Celcius right?

either way, awesome picture!!! I love sunrises in the winter because of the moisture in the atmosphere. Makes the sun do that streetlight thing where they have a Halo!!
Love the picture!!!

Looked at the picture again, reminded me of another reason why winter sunrises are so cool. Alot of the time up here the sun will be gone for a couple days, then one morning you wake up and Bammm giant sun, its like life has returned, the affirmation of life in the sun. Looks like the same in the picture, the sun coming up in the desolate ice planet!

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Hack28]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
no it was -40 degree Ferenheit, thats the windchill
the actual temperature is 1 Degree Ferenheit

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
have you ever squinted when looking at a street light or such, it creates similar geogmetric patterns with the diffraction of light. like sombody said here its possibly the ice crystals in the air or the lens of the camra

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
it was probably the ice crystals then, because the two rainbows, can bee seen without the camera

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

What a lovely picture!! Thank you for posting that.

-40 windchill!!! Brrrrrr, stay warm!!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l
no it was -40 degree Ferenheit

geek jokes.

yeah, it's ice crystals, nature is beautiful. i'ld love to see something like that in the flesh, considder yourself lucky sir.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Grats on catching the sundog, I have never seen one in real life before, only pictures.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
so thats what its called? a sundog, nice, ive seen it when it is all the way in the sky, a big dark circle around it, but never with a rainbow

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
A beautiful photo, gota love our planet, she constantly amazes me.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
she really does amaze us

top topics

join