It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss glaciers melting slower now than in 1940s!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Contrary to popular perception that glaciers are melting faster the world over due to global warming, a new study says that Swiss glaciers were melting even faster in the 1940s when temperatures were lower.

Significantly, ETH Zurich researchers attribute the melting of glaciers in the 1940s to a lower level of aerosol - a suspension of fine solid particles or liquid droplets in a gas - pollution in the atmosphere.

The increase in winter snow and melting glaciers in summer have been measured at heights of 3,000 metres, on the Clariden Firn, the Great Aletsch glacier and the Silvretta glacier, without interruption for almost 100 years.

link

Well apparently the climate changes it gets warmer in some spots and colder in others randomly.

We should probably give billions to an underdeveloped country because of this.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Meling slower means - still melting, so what's different? Slower global warming?

Muir Glacier in Alaska 1941 vs 2006:

[edit on 7-1-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

At the very least it means CO2 isn't the reason as stated by TPTB.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit

how so?

also, you didn't link to the original in your OP.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Thats not very logical. We can't say. If you have warming from co2 and "colding" from this we have an ice age in Europa because of global warming. If the gulf stream stops we are death here.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Thanks,I forgot but it's there now.And I guess I'm assuming were putting alot more CO2 into the atmosphere in 2010 than in 1940 so it would stand to reason it is not as major of a factor as is being stated by the likes of Al Gore and others.But hey,I could be wrong.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

LOOK, I wrote this to another tread three day's ago, and the there was silence like on the moon, and I really don't know why.

I Posted:

And another senseless thread about climate change - This is Nr. 362 (363)
And all I see, are subjective ramblings, - sorry.

What is the Point? Want a bigger car? Eat more meat? My pet #'s to much? Need more Hairspray?

What is the point of this discussions? Are you trying to find trueness? Is it possible on this questions?

Still asking....

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

My point and I can only speak for myself is to bring awareness to people that the government is using a situation that may or may not be man made in order to control us and steal more of our money.

Senseless I guess.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
What is the point of this discussions? Are you trying to find trueness? Is it possible on this questions?

sharing information and points of view, this is a discussion board!!! the answers aren't the point, the discussion is the point.

Thanks,I forgot but it's there now.And I guess I'm assuming were putting alot more CO2 into the atmosphere in 2010 than in 1940 so it would stand to reason it is not as major of a factor as is being stated by the likes of Al Gore and others.But hey,I could be wrong.

meh, we're changing the atmosphere due to the stuff we're putting into it. CO2 isn't the whole story, no actual scientist says it is, but it's the biggest piece of the puzzle.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Ok, that Tax point - I understand seems to be another business for some countries.

We also pay now for c02 here since 1.1.10. This money goes i a foundation that give the money back to house owners, so they can isolate them, i think this is correct redistribution of money in this case.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Hard Facts:

Tons of c02 per Year and 1000 people in different countries:

Afghanistan: 30 per 1,000 people
Brazil: 1716 per 1,000 people
Switzerland: 5580 per 1,000 people
Spain: 7557 per 1,000 people
Israel: 9991 per 1,000 people
Canada: 15894 per 1,000 people
USA 19483 per 1,000 people

Source:
www.nationmaster.com...

Now, please tell me how this is possible? I mean here in Switzerland I see every day decadent people with porsches and Ferraris on the street, we have a 4-5 Month Winter where we have to heat with oil. We have havy industry, and we live in a extreme luxury sitiation with Plasma TV's and Quadcore cpu's.

Now how an american man consume 4 times more energy then a utterly cosseted swiss man? Is this Industry and fat cars? Thats not possible. Must think about this now..

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
Now now an american man consume 4 times more energy then a utterly cosseted swiss man? Is this Industry and fat cars? Thats not possible. Must think about this now..

possibly it has do do with industry, farming, transport, flying, deforestation etc. domestic use carbon emissions, even personal transport, are relatively small.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Yes, but from our richness we can think about and buy things like:

thermal heat pump in Houses
www.deuser.de...

local heat supply systems
www.stadtwerke-gengenbach.de...

Take a look on our trainmap, you need no car here:
www.alleuroperail.com...

top topics