It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14 phantom Zip Codes receiving fed 'stimulus' money...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Phantom zip codes also found in Virginia

www.washingtonexamine r.com

As much as $9.5 million in federal stimulus dollars went to 14 zip codes in Virginia that don’t exist or are in other states, Old Dominion Watchdog (virginia.watchdog.org...) reports. The fake zip codes were listed on Recovery.gov, the federal Web site that is supposed to track how the stimulus money is being used.

In November, Ed Pound, director of communications for the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board, said a rash of phantom congressional districts found on the website were the result of confusion by fund recipients, who apparently didn’t know who their congressman was.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-1-2010 by MOFreemason]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This really shouldn't surprise that many people!

Just like the aftermath of the "Cash-for-Clunkers" program, which yielded sporadic episodes of corruption by auto dealers, shady privacy erosion tactics by the Feds, and mismanagement of funding...

...then comes the TARP and bailout monies' mismanagement. State governors and mayors were reporting that the "created jobs" figures were nowhere close to reality. In many cases, there were more "created" jobs than there were existing jobs in municipalities and states.

Now this report surfaces about over $9 million of stimulus monies going to zip codes that don't even exist?!?

Where is this money now? Where did it go? Who benefited from this? Who is responsible for never detecting/researching this? Where is the transparency and accountability?

www.washingtonexamine r.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
ZIP stands for Zone Improvement Plan.

The Zip code has something to do with the Panama Canal. I'll ask my source about it and post more information about it later.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Good find.

Corruption is universal. The larger a bureaucracy, the more prevalent it will be. No government or governmental model is immune, especially considering Greed is a universal aspect of the Human Condition.

However, although this is the second time "glaring discrepancies" have appeared on Recovery.gov, this is a testament that Transparency in Government is a very good idea and does work. It is doubtful that such things would have ever come to light if they weren't openly and freely available for anyone to view and notice.

So tally another point for Transparency in Government and another point for Corruption in Government.

I think the thing that is most rotten about this is that the Recovery.gov program is overseen by a Committee of Inspector Generals. This shouldn't be happening on their watch, under their scrutiny. However, in all fairness it does appear that they are apparently doing their jobs as...

As of October 31, 2009, the Recovery Board and the federal Inspectors General community have received 471 complaints of wrong-doing associated with Recovery funds
* 86 have triggered active investigations
* 14 cases have been accepted for prosecution.

Perhaps, it would appear that the corruption and misuse of appropriations is even far more than they can handle alone.

Which is why it makes it all the more important that Transparency in Government be upheld and expanded. Make everyone who has the desire be a potential Government Watchdog. (Besides, if our government is watching us, it's only fair that we get to watch and scrutinize them!)

[edit on 6-1-2010 by fraterormus]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It should be obvious that what we need is a new federal office charged with keeping track of the stimulus money. Staffed by no less than 50 people and funded with no less that 10% of the total stimulus cost or 1.5 billion.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
It should be obvious that what we need is a new federal office charged with keeping track of the stimulus money. Staffed by no less than 50 people and funded with no less that 10% of the total stimulus cost or 1.5 billion.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Don't give the bureaucrats any good, or bad, ideas!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

But who will watch the watchers?

I say I am up for the position, I only need a compensation reminiscent of the GS bonuses.

IT IS ONLY FAIR!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

But who will watch the watchers?

I say I am up for the position, I only need a compensation reminiscent of the GS bonuses.

IT IS ONLY FAIR!

You are forgetting one simple qualification for the job:
- That you have no prior private industry experience related to this position

If this is true, you're in!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Well, if we follow governments example we'll just keep creating watcher watchers indefinitely.

We can't just go back and start over. That would admit we messed up. So we make office after office after office until we're all federal employees and watching each other.

Utopia.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Wait a second
Where are all the debunkers on this one?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by blankduck18
Wait a second
Where are all the debunkers on this one?
Not me! I'll bet there will be some Obamaphile show up and give us some reason that this is a good thing.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
good spot. S&F this could become very interesting.

Somehow I don't think it's black projects or pentagon spending but rather just more evidence of crooks on the hill. They're getting so blatant. No more hiding hide in plain sight. They really think we're all asleep. when the hell is this great awakening gonna happen? I'll be asking for a refund soon.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I contend we have the technology to address corruption. We should begin using our intelligence agencies like the NSA to monitor every federal employee with no exemptions for anyone, especially the executive branch of government. We could undertake a Manhattan like project to end corruption but until we do we will not remove the criminals within the system.

When anyone wants to represent the people or work for the federal government or sell something to the federal government every person in a federal employee status and every corporation doing business with the federal government should be monitored 24/7 to identify who is doing the corruption, when and where the corruption was committed and how often the crime was violated. Such a 24/7 monitoring of all federal employees should be undertaken to rid the fraud, waste and abuse that those entrusted with managing tax dollars abuse with such regularity.

We should demand that the NSA monitor all cell phone, Internet, mail, meetings, and use GPS to track in some automated fashion the whereabouts of every federal employee. When someone somewhere conspires with someone else or some corporation to undermine the federal government then the full force of the government should remove and bring to justice everyone found guilty of corruption, greed, and anyone pursuing any conspiratorial agenda that is counter to the Constitution and our Bill of Rights.

By cracking down on where financial assets are hidden and when they are used and or removed from secret accounts we would lift the veil that most of our present criminal politicians hide behind. If we did nothing more that find the bribe money wherever it resides anywhere in the world and make the owners explain where it came from we would begin to diminish the corruption that plagues our nation.

Only by holding every member of the federal government to some meaningful standard of ethical and moral behavior will we ever see corruption begin to subside. Right now its a corrupt environment and too many organizations and systems within our nation are inundated with corruption. As such changing the leaders at the top does nothing to address the ingrained corruption because it has become institutionalized and those that profit covertly by defrauding, cheating, or through the acceptance of a bribes know that at present they are able to hide their criminal activity because no one is really looking for the criminals within our own federal government and when found, most can be compromised with the promise of promotion, power, and through bribes and other means of payments considered to be bribes. Once found guilty of such crime of corruption and found guilty of a crime, all hidden and criminal assets should be forfeited and returned to the American public. Incarcerate the guilty no matter who it may be and we will begin to set a standard that loudly states to all that corruption will not be tolerated and once discovered it will prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

We have the means but we must have the will to end corruption. Ending corruption will allow for changes to be meaningful. Without removing or addressing corruption we are wasting time and money and allowing for a culture of corruption that undermines everything decent and ethical. We deserve better but not until we address corruption will anything change for the better.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Well, someones eating good for along time with all that money* the system and FED suck, all it does is promote hidding, secrecy, theft arson and murder*

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
And the sad thing is, obama and NO one will look for this money* instead, WE the people willbe taxed to death, and our jobs sent overseas*

top topics

join