It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steele: GOP ’screwed up’ after Reagan, won’t win in 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
rawstory.com...

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele apparently thinks the best way to ring in the New Year is to disappoint his followers.

In a TV interview Monday, Steele said the party won't be regaining control of Congress in the mid-term elections this year. And if there's a reason for that, it's that the Republicans "screwed up" after Ronald Reagan left office.

According to excerpts of his new book, obtained by the Associated Press, Steele criticizes the two Republican presidents who followed Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, accusing the elder Bush of abandoning Republican principles by instituting tax hikes, and accusing the younger Bush of betraying fiscal conservatism with large deficits and the TARP bank bailout.

And in an appearance on Fox News, Steele indirectly said that the GOP would not regain control of Congress this year, as some pollsters and political observers have suggested. Asked by host Sean Hannity if he believed the Republicans would win back the House this year, The Hill reports Steele responded: "Not this year."

I think Chairman Steele is wrong. The neo-cons aren't stupid and they will put money and effort in all elections national and state. The GOP will regain Congress but nothing will change. The lobbiest and corporate whores will still run the show and the wars will continue and our bravest and fineist will continue to be killed and maimed by those that profit in blood.

Will the TPM be the wild card that may prove Steele right? Perhaps. But even the TPM now seems to be a surrogate for the GOP.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Keep expectations low, that way when you do win it looks alot more decisive.

The TEA Party movement is going to keep Republicans on their toes. No more fake Republicans. We will be there to call them out, just like we did in the Congressional race in NY recently.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The only real Republican I see is Ron Paul. The rest are just war mongering neo-cons.

Ask any Republican how they will balance the budget. Cut taxes for corporations?

DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH. Yes let's cut corporate taxes for corporations who have sent millions of jobs overseas because of our horrible trade policies.

We need good paying JOBS....not more neo-cons in office.

So much for the party that believed in non-interventionalism.....

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
The only real Republican I see is Ron Paul. The rest are just war mongering neo-cons.

Ask any Republican how they will balance the budget. Cut taxes for corporations?

DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH. Yes let's cut corporate taxes for corporations who have sent millions of jobs overseas because of our horrible trade policies.

David, normally I agree with your posts, but let me ask you something. When Obama campaigned, he regularly spanked U.S. corporations for offshoring jobs that need to stay here in the U.S. - my question to you:

What has Obama done to hold those corporations accountable who offshore their work elsewhere? Where are the new taxes he promised to punish them with? Where are the tax incentives for keeping the work here in America?

It's fine to bash the Republicans for not having any insight into how to balance the budget, but let's keep it real and hold the present administration accountable for things they've said they would do but have not.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I think he is right as far as Congress. They won't regain power. But I do see them winning one of the chambers.

Dems have many things going against them

1) Jobs
2)War
3)Healthcare
4)Spending

I can't see the Dems improving the economy enough by 2010. The wars speak for themselves. Healthcare people want. The healthcare they are passing is not what people want. And of course, they are spending as though there is no tomorrow.

The only thing in the Reps way are independent candidates.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Where are the tax incentives for keeping the work here in America?

I think D is right and you sort of pointed that out this attitude remains a constant...

Nevermind that the last president gave a trillion dollars worth of breaks to the producers and it has NOT stopped the outsourcing, it continues to increase. So it seem you and GOP
intend to try the same thing which has yet to produce the desired results.

Am I wrong?

When will it work as you prescribe?

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

What has Obama done to hold those corporations accountable who offshore their work elsewhere? Where are the new taxes he promised to punish them with? Where are the tax incentives for keeping the work here in America? It's fine to bash the Republicans for not having any insight into how to balance the budget, but let's keep it real and hold the present administration accountable for things they've said they would do but have not.

I have been sos!! HIs admistration is stocked full of CEO's and financial big wigs...and he's kept many of them from the Bush administration. I've got plenty of criticism to go around!
Obama has done little to nothing to change NAFTA or any of our trade laws. For instance.....China puts somewhere around 20 percent tariff on our autos sent there...what do we put on theirs? 2 percent.

We have many trade laws like this. It has to change...hell...it might be too late already. I hope not.

Meanwhile, Americans have really gotten scraps compared to the amount of money given to the banks or even sent overseas. We have a war strapped on us that many of us wonder why we are even there anymore.

I criticize Obama all the time. Maybe you've just missed some posts.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Where are the tax incentives for keeping the work here in America?

I think D is right and you sort of pointed that out this attitude remains a constant...

Nevermind that the last president gave a trillion dollars worth of breaks to the producers and it has NOT stopped the outsourcing, it continues to increase. So it seem you and GOP
intend to try the same thing which has yet to produce the desired results.

Am I wrong?

When will it work as you prescribe?

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Janky Red]

To add to this, it is fair to say Obama has not done anything to reverse the "free trade"
policies that contribute to this downward spiral, so in this manner Obama seems to be
trying to ride a half broke horse just the same.

We need new solutions

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Steele couldn't be more wrong! By all accounts, the GOP will regain both houses of Congress by huge margins. I don't understand the reason for his skepticism.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

My understanding was that Republicans have always favored offshoring jobs because it's good for big-business's bottom line - and whatever is good for big business is good for the Republicans. And for the record, I'm not siding with the Republicans on this issue. I am staunchly against offshoring jobs to third-rate countries who don't give a damn about our consumers. I have made a moral choice to never buy a GM car again because when the financial squeeze got put on they actually considered shutting down their entire production line in Michgan & everywhere and offshoring the whole damn thing to China!

Maybe my view on this subject is a bit xenophobic with regard to the "global economy", but dammit I say our government needs to put the needs of Americans first and the needs of the people of India, China, etc. somewhere down the list!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Well please don't take my remark as a broad criticism of a "lack of needling" the Obama administration. I simply wanted fairness exposed when making damning statements about Republicans. Sure, the extreme right did a lot to hurt this country in the time Bush was in office, but no more/less damage than the extreme left is doing now under Obama's administration.

At least the extreme right didn't base itself on a lie the way extreme leftists do with their hands held out, proclaiming that they only want to help the disenfranchised.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

reply to post by David9176

At least the extreme right didn't base itself on a lie the way extreme leftists do with their hands held out, proclaiming that they only want to help the disenfranchised.

Well for the record, I think the extreme lefties do really want to help out the disenfranchised, I can say by some barometers I would fall into this category.
But what I do see is a misunderstanding and miscommunication that is perpetuated
by both sides. I DO NOT WANT anything resembling the USSR, but how can I
even begin to convey my views if you think that is my liberal covert motive?

Fortunate for me I try to learn from you guys on my right, I actually get some of the stuff you are getting at, many of your concerns are valid and wish you could do the same. I REALLY WANT THIS COUNTRY TO GET BETTER FOR EVERYONE!

Previously I would have said the right bases itself on promoting the rich in the name
of individualism, I no longer feel this way. I now KNOW you are not stupid or evil or nuts, you just have a different take on life. I think this country could benefit hugely if both sides stopped assigning evil nefarious motive to one another, because it is obvious we do not understand one another, to speculate one another's motivations based upon misunderstanding makes it much worse.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Janky Red

I am staunchly against offshoring jobs to third-rate countries who don't give a damn about our consumers. I have made a moral choice to never buy a GM car again because when the financial squeeze got put on they actually considered shutting down their entire production line in Michgan & everywhere and offshoring the whole damn thing to China!

Maybe my view on this subject is a bit xenophobic with regard to the "global economy", but dammit I say our government needs to put the needs of Americans first and the needs of the people of India, China, etc. somewhere down the list!

We couldn't agree more, xenophobia and all... 100%

Thanks, we can get it together

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
100% agree with the OP.

The GOP isn't the big tent party it used to be, exclusion is killing the party. Fiscal conservatism is a very appealing policy to everyone, but when you throw in the extra baggage that comes with the GOP it just seems like a very unaccepting and intolerant party at the end of the day, which turns off most young voters, if the GOP wants to survive then they will have to start listening to young voters.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

David, normally I agree with your posts, but let me ask you something. When Obama campaigned, he regularly spanked U.S. corporations for offshoring jobs that need to stay here in the U.S. - my question to you:

What has Obama done to hold those corporations accountable who offshore their work elsewhere? Where are the new taxes he promised to punish them with? Where are the tax incentives for keeping the work here in America?

It's fine to bash the Republicans for not having any insight into how to balance the budget, but let's keep it real and hold the present administration accountable for things they've said they would do but have not.

Nothing you just said was even close to a rebuttal. If someone says that an apple is red, a response that a banana is yellow is completely meaningless. Apparently, you agree that Ron Paul is the only real republican and the rest are neocon chicken hawks who don't mind sending other people to die in the middle east in war after war so defense contractors can make trillions.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by andrewh7]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

"Apprently you believe that Ron Paul is the only real Republican..."

As far as political leaders currently in office - isn't he? He's the only one so far who consistently stands up to the test as a true Republican. I find of of his Libertarian views a bit far-fetched, but I'm much more ready to stomach those than I am the current two-party system that claims to have our nation's best interests at heart and then turn around and implement policies that contradicts those sentiments.

new topics

top topics

join