It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am 40 in grade school& time mag, we were headed for a mini ice age

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
anyone around my age and older remember when we were in school we were told that the polls cold reserve, that the earth was slowing down and we were actually cooling and headed for a mini ice age.

there was no political or religious agenda it was factual based on temps of the last century. there was also holes in the ozone but also told it could lead to a warming in the summer which could blanket the earth in a steam type fog that could limit the sunshine thus also cooling the earth but that was way speculative.

all the data and mediriological data points what it did 30-40 years ago. Cover of time magazine said global cooling ice age coming.

That was the real and true science.

global warming is a secularism humanistic type religion or movement that seeks to seel and trade energy or carbon units a new barter system worth billions.

global warming is a lie the truth is we are still cooling

anyone else have the same data

chris

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
look at this

drudgereport.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Science is always changing and as every day passes we learn more and more.

As of right now the overwhelming consensus of the worlds scientists, 94% of them is that human kinds reliance on fossil fuels is causing climate change.

Period.

Mountains of evidence has shown clearly that on average the Earth is heating up. From arctic ice disappearing in front of our very eyes to the rise of pests in eco systems the Earth is changing.

Do I think carbon credits are the way to go, absolutely not.

But this is a very real problem and require real solutions.

As in all things there is a silver lining here. We could be on the cusp of a new age of engineering wonders for our world.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by AllexxisF1]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
you obviously don't know much if you think climate change or global warming. only refers to the planet getting hotter.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I dont remember a great deal from school tbh! But very interesting to hear what you say OP, doesn't surprise me.

Always thought this summed up the AGW scam quite nicely" www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

Artic ice disappearing,while sea levels drop 2.5 inches in the last ten years. If this disappearing ice isn't turning into water,where is it going?
Damn magic ice!!!! go figure!!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Supposedly a mini ice age is part of the whole global warming/climate change thing.

As the Earth heats up the caps melt more and more releasing fresh water into the worlds oceans and that slows down or eventually stops the global ocean currents which in turn temporarily brings on a cooling effect as the oceans loose their salinization and stop distributing the Heat from the equator to the northern and southern hemispheres...

IN THEORY!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Long term climate predictions involve too many unknown variables to be reliable.

Ice Age hysteria was flirted with in 1978. That year scientist Dr. Robert Jastrow noted, “The longest this part of the world has been without an ice age until now is 10,000 years. We now have gone 11,000 years without one.” Thirty years later (in 2008), the Columbia University space scientist may have interpreted this as evidence for global warming, but in 1978 he suggested that we are overdue for the next ice age, and that it only takes a shift of five degrees in the average temperature to produce one.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I'm 52 and don't recall any classroom discussions about the Ice Age.
It was mostly about "atomic bombs."
(We weren't using the word nuclear yet.)
Also, I remember participating in air raid drills at my school during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
They really thought the Soviets were going to bomb us !!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by airborne82ndscout

Unfortunately for your whackadoodle Christianst conspiracy mind, the climate models we have now are much more accurate than they were 40 years ago. For instance, these days our computers are no longer steam-powered, and you can fit a megabyte of data into an area considerably smaller than a high school gymnasium.

As we collect data, run models, , test hypothesies, collaborate with the rest of the worlds' scientists, a much clearer picture emerges than the one we had 40 years ago.

40 years ago we were also supposed to be living on the moon in thirty years.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
For those genuinely prepared to read and think and who have an attention span greater than two minutes:

tectonicbanana.org...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Unfortunately for your whackadoodle Christianst conspiracy mind, the climate models we have now are much more accurate than they were 40 years ago. For instance, these days our computers are no longer steam-powered, and you can fit a megabyte of data into an area considerably smaller than a high school gymnasium.

As we collect data, run models, , test hypothesies, collaborate with the rest of the worlds' scientists, a much clearer picture emerges than the one we had 40 years ago.

40 years ago we were also supposed to be living on the moon in thirty years.

Who mentioned anything about a Christianst(sic) conspiracy?

And exactly who predicted we would be living on the moon by 1999?

You come off as rather unhinged.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

How in the world do you remember anything from grade school? I don't. Well, not exactly. I remember learning basic banking (writing checks, deposits, etc.) and that's about it. Definitely don't remember anything about climate change and global warming, or lack thereof.

Can it not be true that technology has improved such that climate studies and predictions have evolved? One would hope so. If "we" were still operating off of 40 year old data, (as opposed to continuously researching,charting,comparing and determining trends) it would be out of date and a bit suspect, would it not?

[edit on 4-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Deny Arrogance

From the OP:

global warming is a secularism humanistic type religion or movement

OH NOES TEH SECULAR OMG WTF BBQ!

Maybe you just don't read the subtext that well?

At any rate, or technological capacity has moved well beyond what we had i nthe 70's, and we additionally have 40 years more of research pointing us to the current conclusions.

If these basic facts are "unhinged" well, I guess it's time to call the nuthatch!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Oh, played out 4chan memes. Enough said.

I now have a better idea where you are coming from.

There is a difference between inferring subtext and projecting in the psychological sense.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Deny Arrogance

And faced with the fact that we have better technology and far more information than we did 40 years ago, you choose to... talk about something else.

Must burn, huh?

top topics

join