It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention Seekers for the 'bin' - metaphorically speaking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
hi,
I'm an honest man I say what I mean and I mean what I say, and if you have a different opinion i'm fine with that.

I don't mind even the most vile of opinions being projected at me, provided it be that they can be discussed.

There is a serious problem I see, and it is this 'attention seeking' 'point attaining' egotism - and it's - all in the title..

I don't get much attention on here because I'm actually trying to find the truth .. even on here it's quite a rare thing you know guys?

Anyway, just my 2 cents, a warning too - it seems ATS is drifting a little towards that sensationalist presentational approach, right?

One other thing, that Johnny Anonymous guy looks like a 'reptilian' , I don't believe any of that conspiracy bunk - but it actually scares me guys!! Less presentation more content, less sensationalism more... professionalism?

They are two men inside each, one material and one immaterial, one that is, and one that can be.. between them good and evil fight it out. Some guardian angels are the last call to a message

This is a metaphor,

Peace, & Love
Abductee

Abductee

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is because of the star and flag system.

People post anything controversial (no matter how pointless, trivial or useless) so that they get stars and flags. Personally? I don't care. But others just gotta get their fix of stars and flags.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

I just think those tend to be the memorable exceptions.

For the most part, I think stars and flags point to some very good and thought-provoking content.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
OK sometimes...and I mean sometimes....a thread will get stars and flags for being interesting.
But the sensationalism gets people worked up.

I only star and flag threads that i wish to see survive. Mostly they are "hard" science related, but if it is thought provoking and well written, Ill flag that too.

I dont know how people get flagged for " I am really an alien from planet Radishmop in a human costume to warn you about adult diaper leaks and tell you to protect the tigers but not the paper ones and only on tuesday".

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Maybe. It is true that it's not too difficult to figure out what topics and how to present them in a way that will get attention, controversy and S/F... However, to start such a thread that one does not really believe in solely for S/F shines light on the ego of the thread starter, not the S/F system.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I star and flag everything and everyone in hopes that I can help others acquire "God Like Wisdom". It's the least I can do and it just might bring some happiness and joy into someone's life. It's not like stars and Flags are some precious commodity to be hoarded for when the SHTF like cans of tuna or booze.

This site is wonderful entertainment, not some place to find profundity or Zen like enlightenment. I'm easily amused and I like to show my appreciation by liberal use of stars and flags.

I even star and flag those that take delight in critically ragging on me regardless of what I say.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm the type who look for threads with zero responses and add a post to send it back to the top.

I have found many of them to be good threads but got ignored for various reasons.

There are really good threads out there that don't get the attention they deserve. All I can say to those posting the thread is to not give up.

You never know when a person like me is admiring your piece of work.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by jam321]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
You mean there is that much love to go around?

Well then if that's the case, my pet mankey is awfully lonely,
maybe someone could go give him a hug?

Sorry abductee... ,
i just realized that in midst of my tomfoolery
i have stooped to new lows in attracting attention.

As for a more direct and appropriate reply to your inquiry, i would have to say you are right in that quite a few avid thread developers do push for the curiosity button... which is all good, in that many threads don't get interesting until a couple thought provocateurs show up and go head to head. So the more minds you can manage to attract the better chance of a noteworthy discussion will evolve.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by The Blind Eye]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

then you are why the S&F system is failing so baddly

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I star and flag everything and everyone in hopes that I can help others acquire "God Like Wisdom".

Then you must be worse than Satan since he only tempts people to declare themselves to be God-like rather than forcing it upon them.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOabducteebe
hi,
I'm an honest man I say what I mean and I mean what I say, and if you have a different opinion i'm fine with that.

I don't mind even the most vile of opinions being projected at me, provided it be that they can be discussed.

There is your first starter thread alone. To openly state your view and opinion on a subject of particular interest and the ability to back it up is what makes opening a thread the fundamental core of exchanging views and opinions.

As vile or hostile replies, i would not worry so much about it, as there are many moderators along with active members who are genuinely interested in interacting with other members of similar or diverse opinion.

So in closing, i would to simply think out your next thread provide the relevant links and be prepared to accept any negative or positive responses. After all, this is what human interaction is all about, is it not ?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
On second thought, "the more the merrier" doesn't always apply.

There are many great threads that i have come by, where most of the discussion is made up of a dialogue between just two posters... then there are very popular threads with a dozen or more active posters but i leave the thread feeling empty handed/headed. So i think somethng could be said for quality vs quantity. With that said, i think it's safe to say in short/sum, that cute gimmicky and shock-jock style titles don't necessarily attract your best minds.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Blind Eye
On second thought, "the more the merrier" doesn't always apply.

There are many great threads that i have come by, where most of the discussion is made up of a dialogue between just two posters...

Less is more and more is less.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
very good first thread- i've not made one and frankly was afraid i'd find a "hit-list" of members' names here and mine on top of list, although i do try to be always educational, truthful and open while protecting my safety/privacy. but some do not like my typos and typing style and seeming longwindedness. 1- i am disabled and right now cannot use my accessibility devices and even when i can, often a pain to capitalize. 2- i try to be thorough, not merely saying ya, uh huh, or they're out to get you! but explaining why i say the things i do and give examples or evidence. if/when i get laptop back i will be providing more cites/ref's, to those who request.

i doubt i will ever be bright or thoughtful or original enough to even MAKE a first thread, lol...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
hey
conscientious ATS users replied. How nice! Thanks guys.

I could spend a lot of paragraphs umming and erring and going through the notions so that it LOOKS like i've thought about it, but I'm an honest guy, I'm not going to do that, because I've been thinking about this for some weeks.

Without naming names, posts like these; from users who IMO are nothing but attention seekers, earning their little points on the site.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well, I for one actually say what I genuinely think, not what people want to hear, and especially do not intentionally say things controversial.

I'm really at a loss how to 'control that' - without giving the other ATS' users who are like me, not being thanked, not getting flags and stars constantly, not being considered a 'flag contributor' - but I do contribute.

I dunno what to say, other than that I am finding myself somewhat upset, I think sensationalism is an extremely important tool, but somehow it is a mistake putting or allowing this in the hands of your average philosophically unfair, irrational 'scientist' type persona - because then we'd be rewarding exactly which we seek to avoid..

Ignorance and pure speculative waffle.. I think that if everyone on the site at ATS spent their time discussing a way to overcome depopulation, than argue who has a better anti-thesis, a hell of a lot of good practical things could be achieved.

However, apparently, I'm an idealist, and the rest of the world isn't playing ball.

Please though, if anyone has the outright cheek to call me unrealistic or unpractical for being an idealistic man, bugger off! I'm playing ball. The only thing that isn't practical to idealism is a lack of communication, a lack of awareness and most importantly of all, a lack of co-operation.

The only thing worse than censoring those who have something to say , that is refused to be heard, is arguing over semantics, or worse anti-thesis to inevitable thesis - or worse still, allowing it to happen just to increase your traffic or earn ATS points for being a controversial SOAB.

I don't know
Why is it idiots are allowed to post total dribbel about depopulation, or 9/11 yet some of the highest intellectuals of humanity, for instance Steve Jobbs would be insta-banned for contributing something about entheogens that not only benefited society for tens of thousands of years, but actually is claimed by the protagonist to be a major help in his innovative genius.

It's ironic, because exactly what you would expect is happening as a result of this attention seeking, and Stigmatized business. The really intelligent people have stopped posting and are upset as much as I because they cannot discuss important things in society, because of the stupid idiots who would abuse them; is it not with a somewhat sick irony that the same people that resulted in the barring of the entheogenic intellectual, are the same ones posting absolute flawed dribbel ?

Well how about the intellectuals stop paying for other peoples irresponsibility, and those who would abuse systems, intellectual argument, philosophical fairness and sensationalism, ethnobotany, entheogens, the occult be stigmatized and punished, for their irresponsibility instead of those who wish to discuss useful scientific and philosophical questions. That would at least, be justice. Would that also not be far better than a bunch of lunatics who 'know' they are right brawling it out for ATS points?

You could say I was angry, angry that those who are responsible members of society are continuously victimized because they want to talk about stigmatized subjects, in a desire to learn and improve themselves, because of others' inability to be responsible or reasonable. It really is sad if not ironic the very same people that caused such 'bad words' to be banned from discussion in the first place - are the ones totally derailing threads on a continual basis.

So you know what is it going to be? Let the madmen continue, or continue punishing the intellectual? Good question but..

Perhaps i'm imagining it,

Abductee

[edit on 5-1-2010 by UFOabducteebe]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOabducteebe

I understand your wish for such mediums as ATS to server a higher purpose, and i see threads all the time full filling such visions. Yes some get derailed more then others and some are derailed from the get-go but it's a free-wheeling learning environment. We are all at different stages in our understanding.

The depopulation thread you referred to, for me was on target, maybe it wasn't delivered as you would have preferred... but it did do a good job of initiating a discussion about a subject that we should all give more thought to... in this regard such threads are an asset. Then again, such judgments are no more then a subjective call... and what you happen to find of interest.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Yeah, y'know...I was wondering about the stars and flags too.
What's the point?
I mean, it's not like a reward system like where you can get free blenders, cutlery, cds, action figures...etc. like what you can do with your debit or credit cards these days (and speaking of what, I just LOVE my drop-point, hollow handle German all-purpose kitchen knife that I got with my debit reward points...just sayin'...) so what does getting stars actually do for us?
Me personally, I don't care about winning popularity contests (and those of you who've seen some of my more...venomous...posts...would be inclined to agree with that) so what does getting starred do?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Originally posted by whaaa

I star and flag everything and everyone in hopes that I can help others acquire "God Like Wisdom".

Then you must be worse than Satan since he only tempts people to declare themselves to be God-like rather than forcing it upon them.

Thank you! I do what I can to brighten up a dark and dreary world.

I also hide money in places that only kids or winos would explore. Like on top of phone booths and in the coin return slots. Little Kids and winos usually don't have cell phones. Also sometimes I put dollar bills in childrens books at Barnes and Noble.

It's conceptual performance Art.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by UFOabducteebe

One other thing, that Johnny Anonymous guy looks like a 'reptilian' , I don't believe any of that conspiracy bunk - but it actually scares me guys!! Less presentation more content, less sensationalism more... professionalism?

Reptilian!

So I take it you think those Budd Anonymous/Johnny Hopkins theorists were wrong with their theory that he is really Bud Hopkins....

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matthew Dark

...so what does getting stars actually do for us?

By that I assume you're questioning the starring system as a whole and why it should exist, well here are a few reasons.

1. It allows you to show support/thank/encourage a member if they have taken the time to write up a well thought out and well presented post.

2. It allows a means of signalling to readers of a thread the way that the opinion of the debate in the specific thread is being swung throughout the argument.

3. When some members don't have anything to add to a certain topic, they simply star someone who has said what was already on their mind.

Cheers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join