It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montana to allow doctor-assisted suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
December 31, 2009

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — The Montana Supreme Court said Thursday that nothing in state law prevents patients from seeking physician-assisted suicide, making Montana the third state that will allow the procedure.
Patients and doctors had been waiting for the state's high court to step in after a lower court decided a year ago that constitutional rights to privacy and dignity protect the right to die.

The Montana Supreme Court opinion will now give doctors in the state the freedom to prescribe the necessary drugs to mentally competent, terminally ill patients without fear of being prosecuted, advocates said.

Steve Johnson, a 72-year-old Helena cancer patient, welcomed the decision, saying he has talked with his doctor about ending his life.

"I am very concerned about the intense pain and loss of dignity," the lifelong rancher and veterinarian said at a press conference at the Capitol. "I've accepted my death. I approach the end of my life with a clear mind."

www.usatoday.com...

Amazing after all we went through in Michigan with Dr. Kevorkian a few years back, if someone wants to die I don't see what the big deal is. At least in Montana the government isn't in your face.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
HELL yes,

a state taking control of itself

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
We give relief to our pets with euthanasia when the end is near....

I've never understood why people are so appalled by this.

Thanks for the article. Happy New Year!

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
We've had it in this state for years...
No death-squads about, that I ever saw anyway.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
We've had it in this state for years...
No death-squads about, that I ever saw anyway.

That is great, are you in Washington State or Oregon? There still isn't assisted suicide in Michigan but I can tell you people in hospitals, hospice and home care are assisted all the time, they just don't called it suicide. Now what would you call taking a patient off life support.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I am a bit new to this still, so be gentle! =)

Hello, I work in a hospital and very closely with physician's. Euthanasia is one of the main things doctors do NOT talk about. However some may not speak of it, probably due to investigation of cases, although we do think of it. Of course it is unethical, and especially unmoral, but we do not like to see our patients suffering an untimely death (especially metastatic cancer patients). Every physicians opinion vary, but it definitely is a hard choice for those who care about there patients as people, rather than a paycheck. I think that this is a unique change in medicine for a better benefit, after all it is a patients choice, just like signing out against medical advice (AMA).

-SD

Edit: I am studying to be an Orthopedic Trauma Surgery, and yes I do support euthanasia. A person does not deserve to suffer, unless they want too.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by SDiazIVC]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SDiazIVC

Good luck to you SDiazIVC, I do Hospice work, not always easy..

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thank you. Hospice is something that takes a special type of person to do. I have seen a handful of cases with patients asking me to give them PCA pumps to relieve them from life. That is something that has given me the idea that euthanasia isn't as bad as I use to think. I am glad to see this thread on here though, it is good to see another couple of persons with the more open minded thought process.

S&F.

-SD

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SDiazIVC

I always try to keep an open mind, when you are involved with very ill people all the time who in most cases are terminal you look at it from a different perspective..

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I have been in many discussions about this, and I personally believe it should be allowed. I think if a person is mentally competent, they should be able to do whatever they want with their own life.

I live smack dab in the Bible belt, so my view is highly frowned upon. But I've never been the guy who intentionally tries to fit in anyway.

I applaud Montana for deciding to take charge of their state. With other states would stand up for themselves as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
that's great and good to hear. people should be able to do what they want with their lives. people know when it is their time. good for them.

top topics

join