It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why men shouldn't write advice columns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
So I just ran into this beauty:

... and found it to be rather true and apocryphal.

Especially considering that recently on Nixie's thread titled Help, heater not working the following exchange took place:

Nixie:

Ok, the universe must be ending because my husband and I had this arguement:

Him: stop putting the heat on 65.
Me: why?
Him: it is too freaking cold in here.
Me: What????
Him: leave it on 67.
Me: but I am too hot.
HIM: it is freezing, stop turning it down.
Me: but I love sleeping when it is cold in the house, and 67 is too warm.
HIM: then stop turning on the dang heating pad on the bed.
ME: but that is the perfect way to sleep.
HIM: your weird
ME: but I like it cold in the house, toasty in the bed.
HIM: your weird
HIM Again: it takes 4 hours for it to warm to 67 in the morning. It wastes more energy to keep it on 65 and turn it up then it does to keep it on 67.
ME: It should not take that long to warm up, something is wrong with it.
HIM: that is normal.
ME: I don't think that is normal.
HIM: It has always been that way.
ME: OK whatever, shrug and wanders off wondering how for once he could be cold and I am not.

So there you have it. He thinks it is normal.

Me:

Did you check that the filter doesn't need changing?

Oh, dear lord ... I'm that guy!

[edit on 31 Dec 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
THANK YOU SD that was the funniest freaking thing I have read in a long time.

But you have made great advances since you have realized it.

Women communicate for intimacy. Men communicate for information exchange and status.

It is perfectly ok.

What is funny, is how many friends my non working cold heater has made me, because it strikes up a conversation. *smiles*

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
lol...omg, too many comments to type.
lovin the avatar btw doggy.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Women communicate for intimacy. Men communicate for information exchange and status.

I disagree as men are constantly communicating for intimacy. It's just that you women don't hear us, as we are speaking "manspeak".

I could care less about status and information, just bring on the snugglin..

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

So women don't communicate for information and status or do they just obtain it through other means?

[edit on 1-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Women communicate in an inane and uncontrollable way.

How do I make a sandwich again?

Okay, occasionally seductive, sometimes hushed, more often than not deceptive and usually when something good is on telly.
[edit on 1/1/2010 by Now_Then]

Oh yhea they also have this obsession with who you know and why you said that to the someone. How do you even have space in the day to remember something like that??? I do nothing most of the time and I can't remember to do that thing, something maybe I should of done that one actually, was it important?

And hygiene! Ok smelling pretty is nice, but why do I have to? and why do women move stuff about in the kitchen? - leave the germs alone, I will eat them when I'm ready.

Okay baby I'm sorry, so your friend would maybe like to? Baby baby I would even sugest it if you didn't... You didn't? Did she.... Oh that right babe don't that's that took me ages to fix awww that was gonna be worth something one day...

Do ya wanna make me a sandwich?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I thought that was sound automobile advice. I don't see the problem.

Women and cars, Shesh oh Pete.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Thats just like a man to stay focused on the auto problem and never acknowledge the other. It reminds me vaguely of a story I heard once but can't seem to piece all together right now.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I read the column cited in the OP's presentation and I am still not sure what the question is. The man clearly explained the possible causes for an engine stalling.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

If you need relationship advice, who is the first person you are going to turn too, the majority of the time, it is a female friend. Relationships are intimate things to talk about.

Do guys stand around asking each other they should get their hair cut and how? No, because that is not the type of information they exhange.
About their golf swing? certainly.

That is what I mean.

IT is a lot to explain, but women feel intimacy or close to someone by exchanging personal information. But sharing personal and close experiences.

When men communicate, such as talking about golf swings, while it may seem downright boring to women, they are gleaning tons of information from it, to apply later in life.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

That's a good point ... this is my advice:

Solid basic Golf Swing Steps or golf swing mechanics lead to an easy golf back swing, down swing, and follow through.

The Golf Back Swing - Don't think about your arms. Instead of thinking about my arms and swinging my golf club , I try to think of my back swing as turning my back to the target. I’m just putting the golf club behind my back.

My best advice for your Golf Down Swing, with one exception, is to just let it happen! The down swing and follow through should be the very natural result of everything that precedes it. www.1st-beginners-golf-swing-tips.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I love this

S&F (in case you need them SD) :-)

very simple scene - one of my favorites

says so much

sometimes - I just want to hear the music - that's all

:-)

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

*laughs and gives you a high five*

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

I love this

S&F (in case you need them SD) :-)

very simple scene - one of my favorites

says so much

sometimes - I just want to hear the music - that's all

Explanation: Yes but when you just want to hear the music, oneself needs to do it with RESPECT! She had very little RESPECT! And what is more is she wasn't willing to even try and learn just the simple FREAKING BASICS like put it back where you got it from. SHEESH! :shk:

Personal Disclosure: She needed to BUY her OWN access to the music if she wants to be so lah-di-
-dah about it! It was like she got a VALID T&C violation and then wanted to bitch about it! "Take a walk to the CURB and put yourself out with the TRASH!" is exactly what I would have told her instead of walking out myself!

P.S. I'm a lousy misogynist but these females do themselves no favours! Same goes for the woman in the article. She should be communicating with her husband and not some dodgy newspaper agony aunt [especially one who is a bloke]! EPIC FAIL! :bnghd:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

yikes!

edit to add: you only get a yikes because - frankly - I am speechless

and tired

[edit on 1/3/2010 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

yikes!

edit to add: you only get a yikes because - frankly - I am speechless

and tired

[edit on 1/3/2010 by Spiramirabilis]

Explanation: Soz to have a rant Spiramirabilis, but that video annoyed me more than words or emoticons can express alone. I know it was all make believe but I can't stand airheads [men or women] who are like that! I don't suffer fools lightly. Which brings me to the husband mentioned in the Original article. He's the biggest fool of all! WTH? Letting your wifes transport go to ruin like that.
INEXUSABLE! Also being an adulterous swine does him no favours either. :shk: FREAKING EPIC FAIL DUDE [whoever he is] I'd
him faster than I'd toss that airhead from the vid. I'd probably buy her HER OWN RECORDS to play with and that would fix that stink real quick. But him? ... I'd strange fruit that fool so fast his head would spin faster than his feet would dangle!

Personal Disclosure: I meant nothing personal about you in my previous post OK! I'm sorry if I came across that way and I unreservedly apologize if you felt that I did.

Edited for clarity.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

yikes

(I must be very tired)

pretty sure this thread was meant to be fun

and in that video - I saw a bit of truth in both points of view - and a little lesson for both genders

we all have our reasons and our ways - helps to pay closer attention to each other sometimes - try to understand

maybe not get so angry all the time - Omega

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
A female once told me I listen like a man.
Always curious (and a glutton for punishment), I asked her what that meant.

Apparently women want someone to listen and sympathize, NOT suggest how to fix the problem.

Stupid me.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

pretty sure this thread was meant to be fun

It was ...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Hehe, funny stuff. I realise it was a joke, but there is a dark side to stories like these because:

It seems the media wants to instil these ideas about men and women into our heads after we see extreme examples on the News or in Sitcoms and Dramas.

This article is reinforcing the idea that all men care about is sex and have no regard for the welfare of the women in their lives. That they are egotistical and very self-centred and ignoring the emotional aspects of the story. Perhaps true for a minority but certainly not the majority!

[edit on 13/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

<<   2 >>

join