It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Crazy New Year’s Traditions From Around the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I had this girlfriend when I lived in Las Vegas... and she would hang up grapes in all the doorways and put out a fresh bowl of fruit every New Years Eve. Then on top of that... we had to make sure we had money in every pocket so that the New Year would bring you a lot of money.

The grapes in the doorway would dry out... but she left them there for the whole year and replaced them at the following New Years Eve. She was from the Philippines so I guess that custom started from over there.

Thought the timing of this article was good and a little something that will bring us all closer together.

BTW... If you need me, I think I'm going to be going down to South America to see all this bright underwear... Cheers and Happy New Years to All here at ATS!

Source:

Spain

Stop whatever you’re doing at midnight and get out your grapes. In Spain, revelers eat 12 grapes, one for each chime of the clock. They bring good luck for the 12 months of the new year.

Scotland

The first person to walk through your door on New Years sets the tone for the rest of the year. At least, according to the Scottish tradition of “First footing.” The best luck will come from a tall, dark and handsome man bringing you a gift- preferably whiskey.

Netherlands

Time to clear out the Christmas tree by dragging it into the streets and lighting it on fire. Supposedly, this gets rid of the old before ringing in the new, but mainly it just looks like dangerous fun.

Brazil

If you’re in the vicinity of Ipanema beach, you can fill a boat with candles and flowers and push it out into the water. Make a wish, and if the tide takes the boat out to sea, your wish will come true.

Japan

Start laughing! Think of something funny at midnight and let loose. Ringing in the new year with laughter brings good luck.

Denmark

Hope you’ve been saving your old plates, because it’s tradition to throw them at friend’s doors! The more broken dishes you find outside, the more friends you have. Then, at midnight, Danish partiers get on top of their chairs and jump off as a way of leaping into the new year.

Philippines

Dots are in! Circle shapes are seen as good luck (think coins!), so put on your best polka dot outfit and start eating round fruit. 12 fruits at midnight to be exact.

Central and South America

If you want to get lucky on New Years, you better remember your lucky underwear! In some South and Central American countries, bright underwear is considered good luck for the new year. Red skivvies will bring love and put on some yellow lingerie if you’re hoping for money.

Ireland

Get out the bread and start hammering it against the walls. The bread ensures plenty of food for the next year and banging on the walls drives out evil spirits.

Germany

If you want to celebrate German style, leave a little of the food you eat for dinner on your plate to ensure plenty of prosperity for the new year. Then get out the flame and all your extra tin because it’s time to drop molten metal into ice water. You can interpret the shapes to learn something about the coming year. For example, a blob that looks like a heart or a ring means marriage!

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
In Scotland you might just get get thumped for bringing 'whiskey' as that's the Irish version. Definitely whisky in this case!
It is also the tradition - in Scotland and N England especially, - that the 'first footer' after midnight should be tall and dark and bear a lump of coal.

Another international tradition is the Peruvian Punching Festival - designed to clear the air of grievances before the New Year.
Hey they do that in UK most weekends!

[edit on 31-12-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
they left out the US, people flying in from all corners to stand in the middle of the street, in the freezing cold to watch a ball of light drop for 60 seconds.

i'd say that's crazy

good list though.

(:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

Didn't know that about the spelling of Whiskey... I mean Whisky...

Thank you for adding those traditions.

Definitely would be interested to know more traditions that are going on in the world. If you got one... please add!

What will you be doing when the clock strikes 12... I will probably be in bed, because that is way past my bedtime. Will be sure to kiss my wife in the morning though

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Traditional Southern U.S. New Year's Day fare:

Must have black eyed peas, collard greens and ham! Black eyed peas for luck, collard greens for prosperity and ham because.. well, just because.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The complete traditional south Georgia USA New Years Day meal is Ham, black eyed peas cooked with hog jowl, greens, cornbread and rice.

It is especially lucky of you grow your own greens. I filled up two five gallon buckets full of greens from my garden yesterday.

Happy New Year to All.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
My grandmother follows the tradition (mentioned) about money in every pocket. Additionally, "Spring Cleaning" was nothing compared to the housecleaning on New Year's eve followed by a huge feast on New Year's day. ETA: she always said that if you eat well on that day, you will eat well all year.

[edit on 31-12-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I'm surprised we BOTH forgot one important ingredient... Vidalia Onion Relish for the black eyed peas! Heh.. I just remembered because we're getting ready to partake! Happy New Year fellow southerner!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Everybody must be really hung-over today here at ATS. Not to much action happening. I hope everyone had a safe one.

Was hoping to get a long list of different traditions on this thread. Thank you for everyone that contributed!

Now, that I'm newly married... I'm looking to start our own traditions, crazy or not.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Me and the neighbours saw in the New Year. Then we watched some fireworks and a load of Chinese lanterns (sorry, UFOs). Got to bed 2.30am

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

I'm Danish, and have never heard of the one involving plates? The chair jumping is right though.

Oh, and we eat cod. And often soup after midnight.

Just FYI

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by K-Raz

Cod and Soup... Is there a story behind that?

Thanks for the addition!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
In Portugal we have the tradition of eating 12 raisins.

Also, some people say that we should wear something blue on the first day of the year to bring good luck.

Another tradition, that I do not know if it's recent or old, is that most (if not all) restaurants, hotels, etc. have caldo verde on the menu for the New Year's supper.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
In Brazil, people usually dress up in all white clothes.
Most of them go to the shore for the "exact" moment (what ever that is) and jump over "7 waves", that's for helping overcaming problems in the year to come.

Have some champaign (or any bubbling wine), and party until you fall tired or fall drunk.

Peace

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator
In Brazil, people usually dress up in all white clothes.
Most of them go to the shore for the "exact" moment (what ever that is) and jump over "7 waves", that's for helping overcaming problems in the year to come.

Have some champaign (or any bubbling wine), and party until you fall tired or fall drunk.

Peace

So basically, they're getting drunk and going swimming in their clothes at the beach.

I'm liking Brazil more and more...

top topics

join