It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Survival Tips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

This guide, taken from the U.S. Army Survival Manual, is based entirely on the keyword "SURVIVAL." The letters in this word can help you in your actions in any survival situation. Whenever faced with a survival situation, remember the word "SURVIVAL."

S - Size Up the Situation
U - Use All Your Senses
R - Remember Where You Are 
V - Vanquish Fear and Panic 
I - Improvise
V - Value Living
A - Act Like the Natives
L - Live by Your Wits

Size Up The Situation
Determine the pattern of the area. Get a feel for what is going on around you. Every environment, whether forest, jungle or desert, has a rhythm or pattern. This rhythm or pattern includes animal and bird noises and movements and insect sounds. It may also include enemy traffic and civilian movements.

Use All Your Senses
Consider all aspects of your situation (size up your situation) before you make a decision and a move. If you act in haste, you may forget or lose some of your equipment. In your haste, you may also become disoriented so that you don't know which way to go. Plan your moves. Be ready to move out quickly without endangering yourself.

Remember Where You Are
Pay close attention to where you are and to where you are going. Do not rely on others to keep track of the route. Constantly orient yourself.

Vanquish Fear And Panic
The greatest enemies in a combat, survival and/or evasion situation are fear and panic. If uncontrolled, they can destroy your ability to make an intelligent decision. They may cause you to react to your feelings and imagination rather than to your situation. They can drain your energy and thereby cause other negative emotions.

Improvise
Our easy come, easy go, easy-to-replace culture makes it unnecessary for us to improvise. This inexperience in improvisation can be an enemy in a survival situation. Learn to improvise. Take a tool designed for a specific purpose and see how many other uses you can make of it.

Value Living
All of us were born kicking and fighting to live but we have become used to the soft life. We have become creatures of comfort. We dislike inconveniences and discomforts. What happens when we are faced with a survival situation with its stresses, inconveniences and discomforts? This is when the will to live, placing a high value on living, is vital.

Act Like The Natives
The natives and animals of a region have adapted to their environment. To get a feel of the area, watch how the people go about their daily routine. When and what do they eat? When, where and how do they get their food? When and where do they go for water? This information will be important in a survival situation.

Live By Your Wits
Learn these basic skills now, not when you are headed for or are in the battle, or en route for an excursion to a remote or harsh environment. How you decide to equip yourself before deployment will impact on whether or not you survive. You need to know about the environment to which you are going and you must practice basic skills geared to that environment. 

Here is the article
dsc.discovery.com...

Along with common sense and basic skills like these anybody can survive. Sometimes all you need is a bit of luck.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
A good thread, pointing out that you can over come if you the right attitude towards any situation.

Not much that I can add to that apart from a star for you.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Its good information but i think its been posted multiple times in the survival forums under the Army guides

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
Its good information but i think its been posted multiple times in the survival forums under the Army guides

I couldn't find any threads like this. It reminded me of something Bear Gylls would say.

top topics

join